Polk Audio SDA-CRS+ Floorstanding Speakers

4.82/5 (11 Reviews)

Compact SDA speaker system w/ Two source drivers and one silver voice coil tweeters; w/ rear firing 10" Passive radiator

Submitted by jcmphoto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
These are the original Polk Audio Stereo Dimensional Array (SDA) Compact Reference Series (CRS) speakers released in 1984. They utilize a phased array technology which substantially enhances the spatial separation between channels. The smooth high frequencies produced by the high dome tweeters are just just stunning. I have owned mine since 1986 and they still amaze me. They are particular good at reproducing the subtle tones of acoustic instruments. You can stills find these speakers if you are patient. They are truly a tremendous value.

Submitted by 3-LockBox a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought these things back in 1988. Polk Audio had really come into their own as a hi-fi speaker company in the mid '80s, and I had wanted to buy a pair of PAs for a long time leading up to my purchase. I was in the military and needed something that could be easily moved around (and/or stored) rather easily and the CRSs (compact reference sysytem) fit the bill, but still provided me with a big sounding speaker. Not nearly as big as many of the behemoth speakers of their day, they put out amazing sound. Sure, there were better speakers, but you were going to spend more money and own a much larger speaker to achieve better sound than the CRSs. Even after almost 20 years, these speakers still sound great, the butyl rubber surrounds are still intact, the woofer cones show no signs of distress, and the cabinets are still rock-solid.

Polk Audio stuck with the SDA line for only a few years, then Polk started to pander to the burgeoning HT market and started building tower designs. They went to ported cabinets instead of using passive radiators, which I think gave Polk their signature sound and helped them carve out their own niche in the '80s. They were a unique speaker, and no speaker today in the same price range sounds any better than my 20 year old SDA CRS+. I'll never get rid of them.

Purchased At:   QC Stereo

Submitted by Bitwise a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I spent over a month auditioning speakers before I purchased these (1995), and not only do I not regret it, 12 years later I'm looking to buy another pair! I used my CRS's as my front stereo speakers until I recently aquired some Polk SDA-SRS monsters (each one is like 4 CRS's in a huge cabinet!!!), and now have moved the CRS's for rear-surround duty. I'm going to get once more pair of CRS's for center-position. Everything is driven with Hafler DH-500 (2X bi-amped for the SRS's). I still have know of no other speaker its size that can play ANY type of source material at extremely powerful levels effortlessly...given you have 250+ WRMS behind them. Their sound and capacities are unrivaled for anything even close to their price new, and especially now in the aftermarket. It is a moving experience to listen to my system with these speakers, rivaling large concert venue levels and exceeding any club or small venue. It's noteworthy that I also have a Paradigm Servo-15 subwoofer handling frequencies below 80Hz.

Purchased At:   Pacific Stereo

Submitted by Zack a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are the real deal. I came into a little extra money had always wanted to give a pair of these a try, so I started watching Ebay and it took about 4 months to locate a pair to buy - and boy were they worth the wait, and the money! I almost went ahead and bought the SDA 2A's, because I was getting impatient looking for the CRS's, and I'm really glad that I waited. They both have "exactly" the same components, but the bass of the 2A's (which a frind of mine has)is very boomy, not hard hitting like these because of the rediculously large enclosures (a marketing gimmick for sure), and I can move these just about anywhere without worrying about where they'll fit. I have owned probably 20-25 different pairs of speakers over the years, and these are one of the very best I've hard, including the one's way out of my league ($2000 a piece and up) that I've listened to at a couple of the local high-end shops. Of course, every speaker has it's particular strengths and weaknesses, but in terms of performance for the buck, these are simply incredible on the whole. I have three systems in my house, these are driven by the lessor of my equipment - a older NAD 2200PE amp and Yamaha C-80 preamp, and they produce a soundstage for their size that defies all logic. Honestly, one system of mine does overwelm them in terms of being able to engulf a large room with sound when you really want to, but there's no comparison in the money I had to spend to acheive it. The detail and imaging of the Polks is extraordinary, once you get these SDA series in a room where you can seperate them close to he full length of the ambilical cord that allows them to share imaging information, they create a wall of sound that allows you to actually see with your ears, pieces of the music come from distinctly different points in the room. I hear more things going on than were ever apparent before - it's like listening to old CD's again for the first time. The coolest thing is that many of our neighbors and friends have walked into our house when I've had them really rocking and they've looked at me and said, "are those the only speakers playing in here? That makes them worth owning in itself! I will never sell these for any amount, they're keepers!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Allen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
WOW!!! A friend of mine has owned a pair of these for acouple of years, so I had casually listened to these for some time before I finally purchased my own - I had always been quietly jealous of the soundstage and detail that these created compared to my Klipsch Heresey's, but once I hooked mine up to some solid "high current" power (he runs an upper level Yamaha amp w/ Harmon Kardon preamp, I have a Luxman LV-117 Integrated with a "real" 160 wpc) they flat out dominated the Heresey's in creating a room full of musician's playing in "specific" places in front of me! Blazing highs and vocals, and yes the low end notes hit like they're being shot out of a tank - very sharp and hard. I have read a few reviews that indicated a little disappointment with the bass performance a louder levels - and as one reviewer suspected, their issue is really a matter of trying to "over-run" newer so called high power receivers and amps, which until you get into some ligitimate high-end equipment, generally won't produce comparable sound to older vintage equipment. Anyway, buying these has created "by far" the single largest improvement in sound of any audio equipment changes I have made over the years - I can't imagine ever having a reason to spend what would have to be $1500 - $2000 to replace these with something "new" that would have comparable sound. If you ever get a chance to pick-up a pair of these used (there aren't many around!), do what ever you have to to make it happen - you'll spend the rest of your listening career thanking yourself repeatedly!

Purchased At:   Ebay