Polk Audio RTi70 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

These RTi Series Floorstanding Loudspeakers feature more real wood than ever before; front & rear baffles as well as the top & sides are covered in luxurious real wood veneer, for high impact looks and value.

Submitted by Dustyditto a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
With the exception of Sid's review (which was a review from a 14 year old kid, and COMPLETELY different from what he wrote on the Polk Audio forum)

These speakers are some of the best speakers that Polk has produced for the price. Are the Rt35's better? NO!!! Not in any way, shape or form! Did Polk make better speakers? Yes. The SDA and LSi lines are better, but the LSi's also require amps that can drive 4ohm speakers. The new LSiM apparently are 8ohm speakers, but then again we're talking about speakers that are twice the price. Anyway, back to the Rti70's. They are built like a speaker should be. Solid, with a beautiful veneer and a great design. The silk dome tweeter is less harsh than the trilaminate tweet in the rt series (although I didn't find the tri-lam fatiguing at all), I'm not sure if it's the tweeter, or the crossover, but it's a little smoother overall. The dual 6&1/2" woofers do a fantastic job of reproducing both midrange and bass. I Have them paired with a subwoofer, so I don't expect them to go super low, but they weren't designed to go super low either. I really don't know what anyone could possibly complain about really. And comparing these speakers to a weak speaker like the Rt35i (which I owned for a VERY short period of time, they sucked and had to go) is nonsense. I still use these speakers as fronts and rears in my 5.1 setup (no room for 7.1, even in an 18x22 foot room, the layout just isn't right), and have no reason to change my setup. Fantastic speakers, well built, and will stand the test of time!

Submitted by Jake-O-phile a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
A great speaker for the price. They perform very well for home theater and casual listening. I did find that the highs were not quite as brilliant as I would have liked, however, the addition of a super tweeter to each tower has made the pair outstanding!!! I wish I could give them a 4.5 instead of a 4.

Purchased At:   www.brandnamez.com

Submitted by DefinitiveSid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
Since I started my hobby in the summer of 2002, I started out with Polk Audio. The RT35i. After about 2 years or so, I decided I could get Towers.

So I purchased the RTi70. At first, with the excitement of new, larger, speakers in the house, I liked them. I thought they were great. This excitement quickly came to a close.

I plugged the RT35i back up one day, which to my surprise completely stole the floor in the high end against the RTi70. The RTi70 was harsh, undetailed, and completely forgetting snares, cymbals, acoustic guitars, critical pieces in the music that can bring it to life.

They did though, have a great soundstage, with decent bass. So there was some hope for them still. Almost.
The bass was slightly boomy, but with a good subwoofer, this was hardly noticeable.

It wasn't until I picked up the Definitive Tech BP6B that I realized how 'clothed' the mids were. They sounded like they were producing the sound from behing something (a brick wall maybe?)...completely dead. No real refinement in the music or showing any detail within the midrange.

Not to mention that there was an incredibly nasty hiss between the mids and highs of this speaker, so along with no detail it was extremely hard to listen to.

Another thing about this speaker is the fact it is down right ugly. The 'styrofoam' looking grill looks cheap, feels cheap. The wood veneer looks terrible, looks cheap. Might as well just slapped vinyl on there, atleast Vinyl has an actual wood grain of some sort.

To me, this is possibly the worst line Polk has produced, it had a shelf life of 1.5 years and was probally one of the most rushed lines they made (if it wasnt rushed, it sure looked/sounded like it). A complete dissapointment, and atleast they pulled it off the shelves.

The first RT line was amazing, why did they change it?

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by datarush a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I agonized for a long time on what speaker group to get, narrowing it down to Infinity, Polk and Klipsch. Comparable in price and performance at several price levels, Polk won out strangely enough because I thought that they wouldn't be staring back at me as much will the speaker grilles off. For the money I'm very pleased and you would have to go up quite a bit in price to get an appreciably better sound. These are the last piece in the puzzle I created to have a well-matched sound system. Prior to this I've had 3-4 brands of speakers hooked into the 5.1 system. I'm quite certain that these work better with my Polk CSi40 center, having identical drivers. Although I'm sure this influences me, the perfect aesthetic matchup compliments the excellent transition of sounds from left/center/right that is possible now. They look good with the speaker grilles on or off. Downward firing port eliminates some of the issues with having them too close to the wall, although I still have them about 12" away at the rear.

Purchased At:   eBay etailer

Submitted by Matt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am a musician and spend a great deal of time listening to live music as well as studio monitors. The speakers were purchased to replace an aging set on a secondary system.

Purchased At:   Circuit City