Polk Audio RTi12 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

Why settle for vinyl speakers when you can have the warmth and beauty of real wood at the same price? RTi Series features real wood at vinyl prices. The new RTi Series Loudspeakers grab your attention. They are wonders of industrial design: real wood, radiant with metallic highlights and racing car lines. Classic Polk performance in a design that speaks to todays high-end home décor. True performance art.

Submitted by Dean a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2015

Bottom Line:
I'm an audiophile and these speakers are an unusual choice for critical listening. However they can sound excellent if you're prepared to do some work. Points to take note of:

1. These speakers are bright. A break-in period helps with this, but attention will need to be focused on eq and / or electronic room correction, and speaker placement. When first hooking up without any eq or electronic room correction, music sounded harsh. A tube preamp would help with added warmth. Over the course of a few weeks I spent a decent amount of time eq'ing using software based parametric eq and 32 band eq.

2. As mentioned, speaker placement is important to get the best soundstage and sound quality.

3. Amplification. I've read countless comments advising these speakers need vast amounts of power. This isn't entirely accurate. First, it depends on how loudly you plan to play back your source. I initially was using quality 100 watts per channel. The sound was very enjoyable. Even at louder volumes the amps did not clip. However, switching to a 300 watts per channel setup allows for a lot of headroom, and the speakers did open up, even at lower volumes. You will need clean, stable power. This is important.

4. Subwoofer. Depending on your preference, you may or may not need a subwoofer. The speakers sound fine and balanced without. However, Quality subs will bring out deep extension and the sound truly shines as a result.

If you find these speakers at an attractive price as I did, I'd suggest you can't go wrong if you take note of my comments above. BUT, as these speakers have been replaced by the RTI A9 I'd strongly suggest you invest in them if you find them at a decent price. They've been tweaked to address the overly bright sound, and have received favourable professional reviews.

I hope this feedback is helpful.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Jon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2015

Bottom Line:
Honestly I love sound and have had my fair share of audio equipment! First let me say I have owned the likes of magnapan, b&w, energy, klipsh, definitive technology, ect... These speaker's matched with the right electronics and cable's are absolutely wonderful! Possibly one of the biggest bangs for the buck today in the audio industry! I simply couldn't be happier and if you have the opportunity to audition these's somewhere you will buy them and marvel at there interpretation of sound!!! Very happy and amazed??!

Submitted by Ed. Torres a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2012

Bottom Line:
I honestly dont know why everyone says they need alot of power. I drive my rti12's with a 60 watt tube amplifier and get great sound. I also hooked them up to a 8 watt home made experimental amp and got reasonably good performance. I think everyone needs to stay away from those bestbuy toy/surrond amps, thats where the real problem is.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
These speakers are gorgeous, first of all. They sound great, however I do agree with everyone else that you need to drive plenty of power to them. I have a Denon AVR-3600 that is 110 watts per and they are bi wired and the Klipsch F3's blow them away. Keep in mind that the Klipsch's have a much higher efficiency rating thus requiring less amplification. I have an Adcom 555 power amp coming and that should make a tremendous difference. Also remember that the Denon was an $1800 piece and weighs in at 50 lbs, so it's no slouch....not like some of the newer "home theater" stuff. I gave it 4 stars on value because to really appreciate these, you will need to spend the additional money to get some umph!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by geekster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to chime in about power requirements for these bad boys. I tried powering them with my Denon AVR-4802R, 100W of clean high current power, but it wasn't enough. So I bought an Adcom GFA-545 to power the low end drivers (removed the jumpers in back of the speakers first), also 100W. Fortunately the Denon receiver has pre-outs for all channels so hookup was simple.That made all the difference in the world. Music was great before but is amazing now. And movies...oh man. The place literally explodes now. This is a large open loft style place with very high ceilings and these speakers now fill it effortlessly. You can literally see the surface of the couch ripple from the bass these put out. And that's at -30dB. I don't dare go up to 0dB This is a good way to meet your local police as I think someone said.