Polk Audio RTi12 Floorstanding Speakers

4.69/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

Why settle for vinyl speakers when you can have the warmth and beauty of real wood at the same price? RTi Series features real wood at vinyl prices. The new RTi Series Loudspeakers grab your attention. They are wonders of industrial design: real wood, radiant with metallic highlights and racing car lines. Classic Polk performance in a design that speaks to todays high-end home décor. True performance art.

Submitted by Ed. Torres a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2012

Bottom Line:
I honestly dont know why everyone says they need alot of power. I drive my rti12's with a 60 watt tube amplifier and get great sound. I also hooked them up to a 8 watt home made experimental amp and got reasonably good performance. I think everyone needs to stay away from those bestbuy toy/surrond amps, thats where the real problem is.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
These speakers are gorgeous, first of all. They sound great, however I do agree with everyone else that you need to drive plenty of power to them. I have a Denon AVR-3600 that is 110 watts per and they are bi wired and the Klipsch F3's blow them away. Keep in mind that the Klipsch's have a much higher efficiency rating thus requiring less amplification. I have an Adcom 555 power amp coming and that should make a tremendous difference. Also remember that the Denon was an $1800 piece and weighs in at 50 lbs, so it's no slouch....not like some of the newer "home theater" stuff. I gave it 4 stars on value because to really appreciate these, you will need to spend the additional money to get some umph!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by geekster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to chime in about power requirements for these bad boys. I tried powering them with my Denon AVR-4802R, 100W of clean high current power, but it wasn't enough. So I bought an Adcom GFA-545 to power the low end drivers (removed the jumpers in back of the speakers first), also 100W. Fortunately the Denon receiver has pre-outs for all channels so hookup was simple.That made all the difference in the world. Music was great before but is amazing now. And movies...oh man. The place literally explodes now. This is a large open loft style place with very high ceilings and these speakers now fill it effortlessly. You can literally see the surface of the couch ripple from the bass these put out. And that's at -30dB. I don't dare go up to 0dB This is a good way to meet your local police as I think someone said.

Submitted by Nick a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
These speakers are very good for the money. Compaired to others in this price range, these puppies have them beat hands down. They are tight and bright. After hooking up these speakers I ran the RTA on my Behringer Ultra Curve (1/3 oct. eq) and the results were amazing. The auto eq made hardly and changes in the specturm. I could take it in and out of loop over and over with less than 5% difference in total sound quality and freq responce. I double checked my reference microphone hook up and re-ran the RTA over again to make sure I was seeing the right thing. Amazing, the speakers completely made up for all the room fault that I had been "tuning" for the past 2 years.

Like other people have stated in thier reviews, you have to drive these speakers. High current amps with true/clean wattage is the a key player in the preformance. You will find very quickly that you need the extra wattage for (lack of a better term) headroom. Don't expect find a sutable preformance in a any big box electronic store receiver.

I have also found that bi-amping is a major player in getting the best preformance. At both low and high volume bi-amping makes 110% difference in sound quality. By powering the lower drivers with a few more watts than the top end, you can tone down the brightness a bit and eleminate the need for sub. It also dramatically improves the tone quality at lower volumes for causual listening.

I recommend as bare minimum setup, you give provide 100-135 watts per speakers. As an optimal setup, I would highly recommend bi-amping; with 150-200 watts on the high end and 200-250 watts on the low end of the cabinet.

Anyone not satisfied with the output of the cabinets or complaining they need a sub, does not have these speakers setup or powered properly. I would only recommend addind a sub if you room size is larger than 25x25. Even then, I believe it you could compensate by proper placement and bi-amp balancing. If you just can't get enough air moving for your taste, I would recommend using a Polk PSW600 or PSW1000. I haven't heard that first hand but it has to be awsome.

As far as the tone quality of the cabinet, the top end is very transparent and bright. The low end of the cabinet has very little coloration to the sound due to the twin cabinet ports. Every detail and every instrument can be heard crystal clear.

Construction is rock soild. I have heard many people complain about the front grills. They are not that bad. They are a bit fragile but, on the other hand, they are not ment to be taken on and off daily either. I wouldn't worry about them. Just be carefull when removing them and only do it as needed.

As far as the outriggers go, I tbelieve that metal would have been a much better choice insted of plastic. The sharp pointed feet seem like they would be damaing to hardwood or just plain annoying on tile. I would like to have seen an additional set of feet in each box that were flat bottomed. I haven't currently had an issue with this becuase I have carpet but, I can only imagine that it could be frustrating.

Overall, I don't believe you will find a better bang for the buck. These speakers are not quite audiophile equipment but, they are as very close (to low end audiophile gear). For the money, I don't think anyone will go wrong. Just remember, power is the key.

Purchased At:   Crutchfield

Submitted by Lockport a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
These are FANTASTIC. They have a presence and depth that is unbelievably distinguishable, but you MUST have heavy power to drive them. Remember there are three 7.5" woofers, two 5.25 midrange and a 1" tweeter. That;s a lot of magnets to drive. I have a pair of Adcom Monobloacks at 300 watts into 8 ohms and they don't even need a subwoofer. I have heard others say they were a little weak here, but I must question if you provided sufficient power to get them really working.

That being said they are rich and articulate. Set up off the floor on there spikes they sit out by themselves and draw your attention to their weightiness. I don't think could be more pleased with my decision to go with these.

Purchased At:   J&R Music World

RTi12 bass

now we all know that 6 seven inch woofers should produce alot of snappy , in your face bass..well my 12's do not produce great bass until i crank my reciever up to about -5db...before i got my second adcom i had my first one driving my bottom end of my speakers....still lacking in the bass ....when ... Read More »

Axiom M80s vs Polk Audio RTi12 floorstanding speakers

Hi, Has anybody got a good comaprison for above mentioned speakers. I have had a chance to hear to RTi12s and they sound great and look nice too. But so far never got a chance to hear tp Axioms but always read good reviews. So if anyone had the pleasure to compare both, I would really appreciate yo ... Read More »

Polk Audio RTi12's w/ NAD C370

Hi everybody, My wife finally got it and I'm making plans to purchase my first quality sound system in 10 years... need some help catching up on a lost love. I'm interested in the Polk Audio RTi12's... I heard the 8's in a Circuit City driven by an Onkyo Rcvr and they were austonishing! Clear, t ... Read More »