Polk Audio RT5 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by brigrizzme a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I would first like to state that I have always been a huge POLK AUDIO fan. I am very impressed with the sound quality of every speaker in the Reference Theater line. I purchased these speaker new in 1997 because of the way they represented brass in Jazz music. I thoroughly enjoyed their sound until one of my drivers froze. I knew it could be replaced so I set up a time to take it to my Polk retailer for repair. This is about the time the tweeter in my other RT-5 stopped working. I never over or under power my speakers. The warranty that came with the speakers covered the repair but I was without music for 2 weeks. I suggest owning a pair of these speakers only if you have another pair for reserve.

Purchased At:   Good Vibes Sound

Submitted by Philip Canard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
These aren't the world's best speaker, they are just the best speakers in the world at their price, at least as far as I have heard. They have a lot more going for them than just their "bang for the buck": easy to find on the used market (including the upgraded models RT35 and RT38i), made well enough to last a long time, very efficient which means they are a good match for low-powered tube amps, fairly good looking, good warranty support if you buy new, dealers everywhere, and easy to resell later. I have used them with a B&K ST-202+, Heathkit W5M, and am now using them with my Conrad-Johnson MF2250 while my new VMPS speaker kit is being put together. I especially like them with the Heathkit tube amp. The Conrad-Johnson really brings out the best in them, but a $2295 retail amp is too much for these little things. I found that they do not sound their best until broken in for several days, even weeks. The break in process had to be repeated after I let them sit in storage for 2 years after my last move. I will probably upgrade the crossover capacitor on the tweeter after my VMPS speakers are built in the next couple of weeks. They work best in a smaller room. I am using mine in the bedroom right now, and the balance is about right. They can sound midrange forward in a larger room, as the bass will be a bit lightweight. The bass is tight, however, with very good definition for this price range. They are perhaps the best audio purchase for the money that I ever made. The perfect loudspeaker for value-minded collectors of low powered vintage tube amps of less than 50 watts that want a compact monitor style loudspeaker that is efficient and mates very well with tubes.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Yves Simon a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers by mail for the following reasons :
- Small size, shielded, front ports (I wanted to use them on bookshelves, for my video)
- Small price, well rated in "Stereophile"
I am not disappointed. They sound great for the price, and are very well build (thick enclosures).
A few "minus" :
- Compared to my very old (but incredibly good) B&W DM-12a (roughly the same size), they are just ridiculous ! Colored, bass less deep, less details, more agressive, voices less clear, etc.
- The parts are cheap : stamped basket for the woofer, small magnet for the tweeter, quality of crossover inductors and capacitors barely acceptable.

Despite these limitations, I recommend them : what else can you get for less than $250 ?

Submitted by Hal Welch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked up a pair of these fine speakers from Circuit City
Scratch & dent sale for 69.00 each(speakers looked perfect).
I am driving them with an old Onkyo Amp 50 watts per channel
(A8150) they sound warm and lively and impressive bass for their size. I have the speakers in a small room on 36" stands. very impressed for the sound vs the value.

Submitted by Nazri a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
HiI posted my review below previously. I would like to make extra comments.
After upgrading my speaker cable to a very transparent Kimber 4TC, the weakness of RT5 was revealed.
Clarity is good. Sonic balance is not good, the midrange is noticeably much too forwarded whilst the bass and highs are balanced. I would rate the speakers as BRIGHT (I compared with my older RTA8 which are warmer but slopier bass)
Soprano vocals like Celine Dion and Mariah would be piercing the ears when they scream at a slightly higher volume. At times, the speakers could sound a little boxy, maybe because of some resonance.

Overall, the speakers produce flat response except on the midrange. I would rate overall 4 stars and give this one a 3 stars because i previously rated 5 :)