Polk Audio RT3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Bookshelf Speaker

Submitted by PolkLover a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
Picked these up for $60 on Craigslist today. What a great find. These are very good with all the types of music I listen to, which is pretty much everything from classical, world music, jazz, alternative metal and just plain classic rock, but mostly a lot of Pink Floyd which if you think about it is pretty demanding stuff to make sound right.

I gave them 4 stars because they don't give me quite the goosebumps that my Polk RTi-A9s do (connected to a top of the line Denon receiver), but otherwise sound very good. Ambiance on live recordings is excellent. They do very well at reproducing transients and harmonics. For the money I paid, of course there is no equal that I've heard.

I'm powering them from a cheap Sherwood 2-channel receiver I got for $10 also from craigslist. No doubt with a better receiver these would be outstanding. But as it is they sound extremely good to me. I'm sitting here listening to Bach as I type this and am in love with these speakers.

They are now my desktop speakers in my "home office". I'm seriously thinking of moving them upstairs to my bedroom though. They are very very nice to listen to. I read that some people complain about mids, but to me the mids sound fine. Vocals are natural sounding

I know that's not an audiophile type description but I never was much of a snob...ha ha Seriously though I have never enjoyed listening to Itzhak Perlman play Bach on bookshelf speakers before. These have a rich full sound, and seriously - I don't think most applications need a sub with these. I have one hooked up, but so far have left it turned off.

If you are lucky enough to find a pair of these, grab them or at least give them a listen. I haven't started to try to tweak the positioning yet for this application I doubt I'll have to.

Submitted by cjvictory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2008

Bottom Line:
CHEAP (i.e. I bought mine for Singapore$70 ) SOLID heavy small wonders !!!! Please get hold a pair, put them on a pair of decent stands and connect them to a POWERFUL amp and ENJOY, ENJOY AND ENJOY to whatever kind of music you can think of ! They will not disappoint u.

I know you will love them ! They are as good as the Paridgm Atom & AE Aegis 1.

These lovelies can sure give u BASS !!!!! Imaging and sound staging are superb ! U get excellent clarity at every pitch !

Cheers !

Purchased At:   from a good friend,

Submitted by Frank Edgington a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
When I was 14 I bought these on sale for $250 a pair. I went to The Good Guys with my mom :), and listend to these and the Klipsch bookshelf speakers similar in size and price. These I think were $20 more a piece, but it is worth it. I have yet to be dissapointed with the sound of these. They have always produced a nice full sound for music and movies. I decided to add a sub since most bookshelf speakers need one. I bought an Audiosource SW10 (10" 100w) for $250. I have these hooked up to a cheap JVC receiver and an Audiosource Equilizer. The setup is all $850 for Reciever, Speakers, Sub, and Equilizer. For the sound that it produces all together its worth much more.
I personally think these sound better than the RT5's because the woofer on the RT3's seems so much better and higher quality. Same with the RT7's. After I get my Denon AVR3300, and B&W 603s2's these will make excellent surround sound speakers for my bedroom.
It is too bad that they no longer make this model but I guess its replaced by the RT25 or 35's. Since Polk Audio was bought by a Japaneese company, I think their quality has seriously diminished.

Submitted by GR a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
These little wonders will change your mind if you believe size is important.
If you are in need of a quality small bookshelf speaker, look no futher.

Submitted by Clarke Johnston a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
A small but well built pair of speakers with quite a good dome tweeter that sounds very smooth. The front edge is rounded for diffraction purposes and the cabinet is tough with a wall mounting bracket supplied. Also of note is the dual ports on the front, with the different length tubes for smoothness on the bottom end. I run mine off a a passive 12" sub to remove the deepest energy, so I can push them hard with 90watts per channel of Yamaha power.