Polk Audio Monitor 70 Floorstanding Speakers

4.36/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

• Video-shielded
  • Bass-reflex design
  • Frequency response 40-24,000 Hz (-3dB)
  • 8-ohm impedance
  • Sensitivity 90 dB
  • Handles up to 275 watts
  • Dual 5-way binding post terminals
  • 7-3/4"W x 42"H x 14-3/4"D

Submitted by Phillip a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
I got these speakers at goodwill for $52 for the pair. Now I read they are $400 each or $800 for the pair. They are awesome speakers. The clarity is amazing. I was watching a tv show and heard some talking. I paused the tv show and heard nothing. Then I unpaused the tv show I was watching, and I heard the sound again. I figured out it a radio in the background of the tv show I was watching. The speakers have amazing clarity. The spekers pick up everything. The clarity is good it fools you sometimes.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by MikeyWizzy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2015

Bottom Line:
These have the classic Polk top end. They sound OK for music or movies.
These do not get down to 40hz -3dB.
You will NEED a subwoofer. These speakers just can't get down to the low notes and the ones it can reach are not very powerful.
Ran these on a Carver TFM35x amp.

Submitted by Audiolad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2014

Bottom Line:
I would give this speaker a higher review, but it needs a monster amp to produce those low notes. There is a reason the instructions say up to a 275 watt (continuous power and that doesn't quit until it reaches the maximum .1% THD). If you have a quality amp, then you will hear the full spectrum of sound down to 30 Hz.

Submitted by Fleagle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2013

Bottom Line:
Bought these slightly played for $240/pair in mint and unmolested condish. I needed something to replace my aging Dahlquist DQ-10's. I'm driving with my Adcom GFA-555 (265 wpc) and augmented by Advent 100-watt 12" sub. Spectacular. I can't play them loud enough without taking a serious sonic beating. Depth and imaging are fantastic at this price range. Was considering a set of vintage SDA-SRS (signature ref standards) but may be satisfied with just these.

Submitted by Jeff Holt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair refurbished from Polk for $179.00. Honest!!! Not a blemish on them. I think
they were clearing the last of the old stock.

The speakers have nice, smooth high-end with full miss, the bass is adequate but I would suggest a subwoofer. It is not mandatory but with a sub with adjustable crossover you can pick up where the Polks leave off. Try about 60 hz. Easy on the volume of the sub! These can benefit from filling-in but do not need to go above 60-65 hz and no louder than needed of muddiness ruins the sound.

Imaging is good if not excellent. Once placed properly the stage appears deep and cohesive. Using a Music Fidelity DAC and Harmon/Kardon 3490 the sound is smooth with all instruments clear in the mix.

Give these speakers some power, a good source of signal and they shine. They are the budget bargain in speakers, right now...if you can find any left.