Polk Audio Monitor 10 Series 2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.53/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by steve schwanke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
I have owned at pair of Polk 10-B's since the mid 1980's. They blew us away at the time as we were stepping up from some 1970's Marantz 6-G's. We listened to a lot of what's now known as classic rock at the time and really liked the increased mid-range response that these speakers offered.

Thirty years later and these are still the main speakers in our entertainment system. These speakers still get lots of compliments for clarity and lack of listener fatigue. Best if you have room and a house as I can't imagine these in a small apartment with neighbors who might not like the volume at which these can be played. I like to play big band jazz at a loud volume while working in my upstairs study as you'd swear that you were sitting over a live performance. The sound field is as good on stereo as most 3.1 fields, even better. I have had to recheck the setting because I swear that my Polk center channel is on but it's not. This is even more noticeable when the needle hits the wax. Our listening choices have expanded and the Polks still take on whatever we play.

I hope that not many readers see this as I'm looking for another pair of 10's for our bedroom and don't want to push the demand. Did I mention that in 30 years of listening we have had no problems with the speakers. I also own a pair of Monitor 5's (kitchen) and 5 jrs (garage) which I have bought used.

You could say that I have an "old polks home". In that case we still do have openings.

Submitted by poloman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Had these babies for ten years now and they sound better than ever! There on 14" stand design steel stands, sand filled and spiked. Driving with B&K EX 442 200 WPC ; Audio Research LS-7 all tube Pre. Mid-range is great. Bass is great, Not boomy. Treble is a little bright, they Can become a little fatiguing. Tubes calm that down I modified thes slightley by putting 4 extra screws in the basket surround of the 10" passive radiater. The holes were already there. and I put felt pads around the tweeter to tame diffractions. These were the best speakers I've had. I guess the tube Pre helped they do a dissapearing act. They 6throw a very nice sound stage. you really hear the phantom center channel. But alas there time has come and gone. I'm Finally upgrading after 10 years,even though I really love these speakers. I just bought a pair of B&W Matrix 802 s3. Hope they were worth the upgrade. Oh the ndigital is EAD T-700 and Dsp 7000 Which really help .

Purchased At:   Continental sound Fo

Submitted by Greenman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Have had these boys since 1987, Have been with me through thick and thin and have not let me down once. Unfortunately, my living room can longer provide adequate space for them and I need to replace them with smaller units.

Purchased At:   audiodesign, fairfie

Submitted by MG a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I used to sell these guys at retail in the late '80s - early '90s. Awesome speakers for Rock music!! They blew away the comparably priced Cerwin Vegas of the time in terms of clarity and punch!! My big beef with them was the mids, though. They tended to have a "cotton-stuffed-into-the-cheeks" quality with vocals. But hey, what do I know? Have a blessed day!!

Purchased At:   Used to sell them

Submitted by Stuart Geiger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
My speakers have been with me since college (>10 years). They have seen a lot in that time. In college I fried the tweeters twice blasting heavy metal at parties ($60.00 to replace thru Polk). My Kenwood system I had back then (very sweet) is now moth-balled and replaced with a Sony db830 home theater video receiver. My Polks 10B's are the front mains with Klipsch 3.1 as the rear surround. The sound is still incredible and I cannot justify buying eye candy speakers yet. Maybe one day when my Polks are relegated to the garage??

Purchased At:   unknown