Polk Audio LS50 Floorstanding Speakers

Floor standing loudspeaker with 2 6.5" woofers and trilaminate tweeter

Submitted by kevin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought these new for $600 a pair . As planned I always used these with a big sub , I could have bought something smaller and put them on a stand to get the correct heigth but stands look dumb plus my kids would pull them over , plus these handle TONS of power , I use a electronic crossover and roll these in whre my sub ends (80 hz) .
These sound incredable that tri-lam tweeter is smooth but defined the mids are great the speaker does a great job from 100 hz and up , they are well built very solid , even people that dont care about audio are very impressed by the clean warm sound .
I now use them in a small room w/out a sub for movies they sound great I always wonder if I should have bought the next model .
Only complaint was the plastic frame around the grill came loose but when the grill is on its vibration free the labels fell off at the time of purchase I needed magnetic sheilded speakers and these were not but at polk the parts to fix all was $20 total w/free shipping .

Submitted by Andy Batten a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got these for $250 on Ebay and that includes the center channel. Out of the box they sound great, I have not had a chance to play with the position ot the hookup. So far so good. Compared to anything in the price thes are great, they are smooth and tight, but seem to be lacking on the low end, but my powered sub fills the void. They bring DVDs to life. I am very happy, they blow away the 301s and the SF-1s.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Brandon Cook a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these back in 94 and considered getting the more expensive and larger LS 90's. The 90's has much more presence and low tight bass, but when I paired the 50's with a sub I was in heaven. I still to this day have not seen or heard anything as pretty for under 2000.00. If you can get a pair for a deal, I highly recommend them. I have since added another sub and I do not think I will be looking for anything else for years to come.

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by Wes Hung a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I am going to addend my previous review. Even though I've owned these speakers for about 5 years, I had never really played with placement or cared about what cables I used. They are now placed in optimal position(about 5inches from walls) and I changed from small gauge wire to T6 wire from Audiosource. WOW! What a difference. I liked these speakers before, but now I'm hearing treble and bass and mids that I had not heard before. Once again, the bass will not be sufficient for home theatre(what loud speakers can really do that cleanly at the volumes most of us want anyway?), but these speakers really accels at balanced, clear music. I'd pick these up for the prices they sell for now.

Purchased At:   The Good Guys

Submitted by Wes Hung a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
System:
Harmon Kardon AVR25 mkII
Polk CS250s Center
Polk LS50 Fronts
Polk RT5 rears

These are very good speakers for general music reproduction. They are the smallest of the LS line, I believe(LS50, LS70, LS90). They were really good for the time, although you could get something better for the money now. If you can picked them up for a couple of hundred bucks used, that'd be a great deal. I often see the LS70s for very reasonable prices and I wouldn't hesitate to snatch those up if I didn't already have these speakers. I plan to get a nice sub to compliment them in home theater applications.

The main drawback of these speakers is the lack of bass power and relative inefficiency. Couple them with a great subwoofer and a nice receiver and your good to go.

Purchased At:   The Goodguys

Power Suggestions for Polk LS50's

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just picked up a set of Polk LS50 speakers at good price and need help selecting the correct receiver/amp to get the best sound out of these speakers. I'm mainly after just trying to get the most clarity that I can out of these speakers. I'm replacing a system that go ... Read More »

Need Suggestions for Polk LS50's

I just picked up a set of Polk LS50 speakers at good price and need help selecting the correct receiver/amp to get the best sound out of these speakers. I'm mainly after just trying to get the most clarity that I can out of these speakers. I'm replacing a system that got fried by lightning and now ... Read More »