Polk Audio R50
Description: <ul> <li>video-shielded</li> <li>bass-reflex design</li> <li>frequency response 50-20,000 Hz (-3dB)</li> <li>8-ohm impedance</li> <li>sensitivity 90 dB</li> <li>handles up to 150 watts</li> <li>black hardwood veneer</li> <li>5-way binding posts</li> <li>9-5/16"W x 37-1/8"H x 11-15/16"D (with base)</li> </ul>

Submitted by BillBill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2015

Bottom Line:
I'm using 3 of these as my right, left and center speakers. I only paid $89.99 each at PC Richards. Unbelievable price for such a good sounding speaker. These turned out to be real game changers. Incredible sound and clear. But not harsh like some BIC speakers I own for my budget system in my basement.

First, I was surprised how powerful they are. My amp/receiver can play much louder at a lower volume level on the receiver, with these beauties. That's because they are very efficient at a sensitivity of 90 dB. They are crystal clear too. I was really very surprised by the bass. Very powerful bass for speakers with such a small footprint and 6.5 inch woofers. You can get away without a subwoofer with these towers. But if you really want to take your music to another level, definitely add a sub like the Polk PSW505. I highly recommend these floorstanding speakers. They are a fantastic purchase when considering quality and performance vs price.

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2014

Bottom Line:
These are pretty good speakers for the money. I'm pushing them with a Denon 3808ci and my amp gives these speakers all they can handle. Their rating is 150w max but they sound their best at 100w, at least with my receiver. When I approach the 10+ decibel level listening to music, they start to sound a little strained. However, these babies really shine when watching movies or Dolby digital tv and/or DTS. Very good mid level bass to compliment your sub. I'm pretty satisfied with these and have had them a few years now and been problem free.

Submitted by Mike Van Unen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have 6 of these set up in my 7 chan. surround using a 800 watt amp. Not only do I hear and notice things that I never have through other speakers they sound better then any other speaker I have heard because they are so plain accurate and warm sounding no matter what I play, via guitar pre amp, rock, country, movies, classic or anything audiable you would have to spend X10 times more to match the sound quality of these units. I push them very hard with my huge amp and they rock and I never blow speakers.

Submitted by powerguymark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought these for $65.00 each through Fry's. I defy anyone to find a better value for less than $150.00/pair. As far as reported tweeter problems go, the vast majority of tweeters are damaged from over driving an under powered amp, not because the tweeters are poorly designed. (garbage in-smoke out)

Read-TheKid72's review of the Polk R50's- he is pretty much on target.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by P Carney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
Sounded good for about a day. Like another reviewer, I heard things in my music that I had never heard before. I rate these low because it only took a day for the tweeter in my pair to fail. Polk has diasapointed once before with quality, albeit in car audio. Lesson learned. Save thy money and go for better as I did in car audio.

Product model year:   2009