Platinum Audio Reference I Floorstanding Speakers

Stand mounted speakers

Submitted by Mark a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Let me go on record here and make a bold statement: The Platinum Reference 1's are one of the finest speakers ever made.

Any "bookshelf" speaker near the size has nothing like the bass quality and refinement. Larger speakers that I have heard don't have the imaging & soundstage spatial qualities these gems have. The B&W silver signatures are perhaps the Reference 1's closest competitor - but to my ears, I preferred the more articulate and greater bass power of the reference 1's. The Reference 1's are also more kid friendly with the drivers being unexposed.

The Reference 1's need a good amp, and should be used with their dedicated stands. I have found they are not fussy about set up. Too bad that Platinum is gone: tough business, I suppose.

I bought these speakers used more than a year ago and they always impress me - despite my non-audiophile taste in music. I primarily listen to rock, acoustic rock (some of the MTV unplugged CD's are the best!), metal, good pop, punk, grunge, etc. The rest of my family digs country, Britney Spears, etc - what the heck! - it is still fun.

Associated eqiupment
----------------------
Jeff Rowland Model 1 amplifier
Jeff Rowland Consonace preamplifier
Sony DVP-S7000 DVD/CD Player
Thorens TD320 mk II turntable
Kimber wiring (the cheaper stuff)

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Charlie a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers!!!
I've been thoroughly enjoying the Reference 1's for a little over a month now, and although they sounded great right out of the box, they sound significantly better after 100 or so hours.

Before I took these home, I auditioned a number of other speakers. B&W Nautilus 804; Sonus Faber Concerto; Totem Mani-2; Magnepan 3.6; Matin Logan SL3, Joseph Audio RM22si; PSB Stratus Goldi; etc.

In general, the Ref 1's produce well delineated images within a well defined 3D soundstage better then any other speaker I've heard. They are also extemely dynamic and transparent. Couple these characteristics with the Ref 1's gorgeous mids and highs, surprisingly deep, refined bass, and incredible microdynamics, and you have what I think is one of the finest speakers at any price.

I listen to a wide variety of music. Mostly acoustic stuff; ;lots of jazz; lots of classical; some bluegrass; some folk; always lots of classic rock. The Jerry Garcia / David Grisman acoustic recordings sound heavenly through the Ref 1's. Joni Mitchell's Blue and Ladies of the Canyon CD's send shivers up my spine like never before. Even at low listening levels, I have difficulty holding back the tears of joy. Well recorded Jazz is absolutely stunning.

All of what Neng said is also true. They easily produce a 40Hz tone with no attenuation. And it is imperative that these speakers be matched with high quality components and at the very least 100W into 6 ohms.

I also find these speakers to be quite attractive and extemely well built. Although they may have a number of different finishes available by now, the typical granite finish is unique, solid, and beautiful. They pass the knuckle rap test with flying colors.

Associated equipment:
---------------------
Sim Audio Moon W3 power amplifier
Sim Audio Moon P3 preamplifier
NAD 500s silver series CDP
MIT MH-750 Shotgun bi-wire speaker cable
Madrigal CZ-Gel and XLO ULTRA-1 interconnects

If a $4,000 pair of speakers is within your means, check these beauties out.

Submitted by Neng a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is one of the few standmounted speaker that has transparency, soundstaging, dynamics and awesome bass !
When I was looking for speakers, I wanted a standmounted speaker that has great dynamics as well as transparency and soundstaging. The Platinum Ref 1 has bass response down to 40Hz (42 Hz is the lowest bass guitar note). Most standmounted speakers (Proac, Totem, Epos, Spendor, B&W, etc) tend to roll off the bass at about 60 - 80Hz. The Platinum is one of the most dynamic speakers out there and will give you enough bass impact and omph to satisfy most people.

The one thing that you need to have is a high quality and powerful amplifier that can drive it. 100wpc is a minimal and 200wpc is a must to get the most potential out of this speaker. I used a McCormack DNA 1.0 for a while and now is using a Llano 200S.

The Platinum Reference 1 will sound it's best with the appropriate components to equal it's capabilities.

Currently, my system consist of:
Sony X707ES cdp
Pass Labs X2 preamp
Llano Design 200S class A amp
Platinum Reference 1 speakers
Cables are Tara, Kimber, and my own DIY.

ENJOY !

QSC MX3000a POWER AMPLIFIER VS. CROWN REFERENCE I STUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER

QSC MX3000a POWER AMPLIFIER VS. CROWN REFERENCE I STUDIO POWER AMPLIFIER I am planning on purchasing the QSC MX3000a Amp [url]http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=245-630[/url] but I am at a toss up between it and the Crown Studio Reference I. [url]http://www.partsexpress.com/ ... Read More »

I need a Cover Song reference site.

So I don't look silly not knowing that Johnny Cash did a Nine Inch Nails cover. Or that this great Finley Quaye song is co-written with Bob Marley: [I]Sun is shining sun is shining, the weather is sweet make you want to move your dancing feet to the rescue, here i am want you to kno ... Read More »