Pioneer HPM - 100 Floorstanding Speakers

4.81/5 (70 Reviews)

Submitted by dewey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have had my HPM 100's since 1977 while in Germany in the ARMY, they still look pristine & sound as good as the day I bought them, I have a pair of "liquid cooled, Acoustic Monitor DBIV speakers" & the HPM's blow them away, but they do sound good, the HPM 100's are tried, trued & tested, & THEY STILL PASS THE TEST!!! Wouldn't take anything for them, irreplaceable!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Brendan C a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2016

Bottom Line:
I've been searching pretty hard for these for almost 3 years now. I live in Canada and I've done numerous province wide searches and have only come across about 3 pairs in the Toronto area. I eventually settled on a pair of JBL Decade 36's. I've been using the L36's for about a year now and have loved them. They had the bass response I wanted and had a really full sound. Yesterday I was out with my lady shopping and we stopped in at a Value Village and there on the floor was a pair of Pioneer HPM-100's for $29. I sat on them until an employee walked by and bought them instantly. I couldn't believe it. Took them home and they worked. They just blew my JBL's out of the water. These things split the EQ like none other. They're so true sounding. It's tough to explain, they just sound amazing. They're pretty damn amazing and they totally live up to everything I thought they'd be. I just have to clean the gravy and random gunk thats on them now. Cheers!

Submitted by Trevor Kendrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2015

Bottom Line:
Wow! It sounds like a ton of similar opinions about these old Pioneer HPM's. I picked up a pair by chance about a year ago at a good friend's house. I was at his house, we were chatting, he's a guitar player, and I had a Roland BOSS micro monitor that I had recently picked up at a garage sale for $5. Long story short, I offered to sell him the Roland for next to nothing but he was saving to buy a rental property. On the way out of his garage I noticed a pair of speakers stacked in the corner, grilles still on and just sitting there taking up space. Didn't think much about it until I got home and did a little research and then obviously texted him and asked what he might be doing with those beauties! His first response by text was "I'll trade you straight up for the Roland" which was followed by "Wait, those are my brother in law's, let me check with my wife first" followed by "He said you can have them if you want"! A quick trip later and these were in the back seat of my van, sending pictures while I was traveling for work with friends saying "You need to put a seat belt on those!" Prior to this my stereo consisted of some miscellaneous equipment capped off by a pair of old school Micro Acoustics FRM-1A loudspeakers which are fine speakers but I was itching to try something different. About a week later I switched my entire system to a Yamaha CA-810 receiver (with the matching tuner) that I had picked up at a garage sale for $40 and with a nice kenwood pre-amp and heaved the HPM's inside, hooked it all up. Holy #$&^*&^)!!!! Amazing. Period. These are truly fantastic speakers. I'm done looking for that magic pair of speakers. I have what I wanted and I am truly content. The Yamaha puts out just the right amount of power for these old HPM's. Yes, these are speakers that even when cranked halfway on my old Yammie friends stand in disbelief at that magical combination of bass and clarity.

Submitted by Joey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2015

Bottom Line:
This is to J Wald. The only place I've seen like the one you described is the Audio Club in Frankfort Germany. I bought all of my ,now vintage equipment there. You could just give them an equipment combination and go to the speaker room and listen. I bought a pair of HPM 100's there and actually carried them back to Friedburg in an army jeep believe it or not. That was in 1976. I have not used these speakers for over 30 years an hooked them up this week and they still sound great. I also have an SX 1050 receiver I'm gonna have to break it out next.

Whether or not you were talking about Germany, thanks any ways for the memories.

Submitted by J Wald a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2014

Bottom Line:
In the early 70's, I worked with a guy that was WAY into his audio system. All components hanging from his ceiling by chain as to eliminate any unwanted noise. Macintosh, Bang and Olufsen, JBL L45's etc. All really nice stuff. I had purchased a system of my own, but wasn't real happy with the Altec Stonehenge 1's that I was using. My co-worker insisted that I replace them with JBL Century 100's, so off to the stereo store I went. They had a vast array of speakers, amp, receivers, and the rest, all mix and match with the push of a button. The JBL's sounded great, until I selected the newest speaker in the room; the Pioneer HPM 100's. OMG, it was like night and day. I hurriedly switched back to the JBL's and what sounded pristine just a moment earlier, now sounded like mud. The Pioneers were just that much better. I've had those speaker for 39 years, and they still sound great. I'll never sell them.