Pioneer HPM - 100 Floorstanding Speakers

4.81/5 (68 Reviews)

Submitted by Trevor Kendrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2015

Bottom Line:
Wow! It sounds like a ton of similar opinions about these old Pioneer HPM's. I picked up a pair by chance about a year ago at a good friend's house. I was at his house, we were chatting, he's a guitar player, and I had a Roland BOSS micro monitor that I had recently picked up at a garage sale for $5. Long story short, I offered to sell him the Roland for next to nothing but he was saving to buy a rental property. On the way out of his garage I noticed a pair of speakers stacked in the corner, grilles still on and just sitting there taking up space. Didn't think much about it until I got home and did a little research and then obviously texted him and asked what he might be doing with those beauties! His first response by text was "I'll trade you straight up for the Roland" which was followed by "Wait, those are my brother in law's, let me check with my wife first" followed by "He said you can have them if you want"! A quick trip later and these were in the back seat of my van, sending pictures while I was traveling for work with friends saying "You need to put a seat belt on those!" Prior to this my stereo consisted of some miscellaneous equipment capped off by a pair of old school Micro Acoustics FRM-1A loudspeakers which are fine speakers but I was itching to try something different. About a week later I switched my entire system to a Yamaha CA-810 receiver (with the matching tuner) that I had picked up at a garage sale for $40 and with a nice kenwood pre-amp and heaved the HPM's inside, hooked it all up. Holy #$&^*&^)!!!! Amazing. Period. These are truly fantastic speakers. I'm done looking for that magic pair of speakers. I have what I wanted and I am truly content. The Yamaha puts out just the right amount of power for these old HPM's. Yes, these are speakers that even when cranked halfway on my old Yammie friends stand in disbelief at that magical combination of bass and clarity.

Submitted by Joey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2015

Bottom Line:
This is to J Wald. The only place I've seen like the one you described is the Audio Club in Frankfort Germany. I bought all of my ,now vintage equipment there. You could just give them an equipment combination and go to the speaker room and listen. I bought a pair of HPM 100's there and actually carried them back to Friedburg in an army jeep believe it or not. That was in 1976. I have not used these speakers for over 30 years an hooked them up this week and they still sound great. I also have an SX 1050 receiver I'm gonna have to break it out next.

Whether or not you were talking about Germany, thanks any ways for the memories.

Submitted by J Wald a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2014

Bottom Line:
In the early 70's, I worked with a guy that was WAY into his audio system. All components hanging from his ceiling by chain as to eliminate any unwanted noise. Macintosh, Bang and Olufsen, JBL L45's etc. All really nice stuff. I had purchased a system of my own, but wasn't real happy with the Altec Stonehenge 1's that I was using. My co-worker insisted that I replace them with JBL Century 100's, so off to the stereo store I went. They had a vast array of speakers, amp, receivers, and the rest, all mix and match with the push of a button. The JBL's sounded great, until I selected the newest speaker in the room; the Pioneer HPM 100's. OMG, it was like night and day. I hurriedly switched back to the JBL's and what sounded pristine just a moment earlier, now sounded like mud. The Pioneers were just that much better. I've had those speaker for 39 years, and they still sound great. I'll never sell them.

Submitted by Norbert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2014

Bottom Line:
Today I pulled out of the garage my audio equipment all purchased in1976

HPM-100 speakers
SPEC-4 amp
SPEC-1 Pre-amp
SG-9500 Equalizer
CT-F1000 Tape deck
Technics SL-2000
TEAC A-1200U Reel to Reel

Hooked it all up and plugged a laptop into it.

Everything powered up and working, started to play my long list of mp3 oldies.

Found a few old vinyl albums and some old 7" reels of tape, going to play them next

This Stuff still sounds great !

Submitted by James Hembd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2014

Bottom Line:
I own 6 Pioneer Hpm-100's All of them still functioning after
20+ years of service. No cheap foam to blow out. They were designed by
the best engineers in the business and still out perform with today's stereo's.
I have a newer 7 channel 120 watts per channel system with a subwoofer
hooked up via HDMI blueray with HD sound. It is like going out to the movies.
4 way adjustable tweeters and midrange. You can shake the walls if you want.
The best I have ever owned. Would not trade them for anything, Unless
I could find the 15" from the same year, which I have never tried.