Pioneer HPM - 100 Floorstanding Speakers

4.82/5 (66 Reviews)

Submitted by J Wald a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2014

Bottom Line:
In the early 70's, I worked with a guy that was WAY into his audio system. All components hanging from his ceiling by chain as to eliminate any unwanted noise. Macintosh, Bang and Olufsen, JBL L45's etc. All really nice stuff. I had purchased a system of my own, but wasn't real happy with the Altec Stonehenge 1's that I was using. My co-worker insisted that I replace them with JBL Century 100's, so off to the stereo store I went. They had a vast array of speakers, amp, receivers, and the rest, all mix and match with the push of a button. The JBL's sounded great, until I selected the newest speaker in the room; the Pioneer HPM 100's. OMG, it was like night and day. I hurriedly switched back to the JBL's and what sounded pristine just a moment earlier, now sounded like mud. The Pioneers were just that much better. I've had those speaker for 39 years, and they still sound great. I'll never sell them.

Submitted by Norbert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2014

Bottom Line:
Today I pulled out of the garage my audio equipment all purchased in1976

HPM-100 speakers
SPEC-4 amp
SPEC-1 Pre-amp
SG-9500 Equalizer
CT-F1000 Tape deck
Technics SL-2000
TEAC A-1200U Reel to Reel

Hooked it all up and plugged a laptop into it.

Everything powered up and working, started to play my long list of mp3 oldies.

Found a few old vinyl albums and some old 7" reels of tape, going to play them next

This Stuff still sounds great !

Submitted by James Hembd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2014

Bottom Line:
I own 6 Pioneer Hpm-100's All of them still functioning after
20+ years of service. No cheap foam to blow out. They were designed by
the best engineers in the business and still out perform with today's stereo's.
I have a newer 7 channel 120 watts per channel system with a subwoofer
hooked up via HDMI blueray with HD sound. It is like going out to the movies.
4 way adjustable tweeters and midrange. You can shake the walls if you want.
The best I have ever owned. Would not trade them for anything, Unless
I could find the 15" from the same year, which I have never tried.

Submitted by Keith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2013

Bottom Line:
Wow! I will keep this short. I was in a thrift store in Manhattan, KS and saw some old beat up speakers on the floor. No grills and all the dust covers pushed in. I could see they were in fact Pioneer HPM 100s. The cabinets were beat up so I asked the guy how much. He said $20 I said $15 we split at $18! Got them home took a vacuum and pulled out the dust covers and these things are like everyone else says, just awesome. I say that because I own a pair of Klipschorns and they rock just as loud. If you can get some at a good price don't wait the build quality is second to none. They blow away anything in the sub $500 price range. Although the female approval factor might be low due to their size. I am now looking for a second pair not sure I will find any for $18.

Submitted by NYC_GUY a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Bottom Line:
What a great repository of recollections about a great speaker. I just read all 60 reviews here.

In the late 70's, I was in Jr. high and my Father took me to get a new separate component system to upgrade from my compact stereo.

At first I purchased the lower priced house brand, (something similar to Verity) The speaker kept blowing out on the Technics 40 Watt receiver I bought at the time.

After a few exchanges the salesman and my Father agreed I had to spend more money and get the HPM-100's.

I used to run them on large steel stands at ear level, and oriented horizontally. I used foam rubber in between - I was a kid - what did I know.

As a matter of fact, a friend always used to tease my speakers as having boomy bass, as he had just gotten JBL 4311's.

Little did I realized the HPM's has similar or perhaps superior design heritage.

I never liked the spring terminals and eventually I bypassed them with OFC wire going direct to the crossover, and bypassing the level controls as well. Meaning a direct thicker gauge more modern wire direct from the crossover out the back of the speakers for 10 feet. I also rewired the crossover to mid and tweeter.

The speaker then truly came alive. I had since gone on to Quads ESL63's but was curious to see how good they could sound.

A few years later I made a long term loan of them to a friend (with the provision I might want them back someday) Every time I heard them at his house on a modest receiver, he had the best sound of any other friend I had (other than my new audiophile friends).

The kicker to this story is that after a number of audiophile speakers, I am back to owning Pioneer speakers again.

I own the TAD CR-1, which is an all out assault on the concept of a bookshelf monitor. I haven't heard anything at any audio show that compares to the true realism these Beryllium
mid/tweeters reproduce.

I have recently added another companies electrostatic supertweeter on top of them for even more added realism. It's amazing to hear the concept of what the HPM tried to do, actually accomplished.

Pioneer HPM-60 or dedicated sub

Hello all! I am looking into upgrading my home theather system. My amplifier is a Yamaha DSP-A3090, which is old but still holds it's own. bic america center channel speaker, Pioneer HPM-60 loud speakers for the mains, then the rears are a pair of Polk T15 bookshelf speakers. For the most part I a ... Read More »

After 4.5 years, I Finally refoamed my Pioneer HPM-500's

Yep, I finally got around to refoaming my HPM-500's, and boy do they sound nice. Very critical speaker with smooth transients and no fatigue. Quite pleasant to listen to without being over-bearing or harsh. I like the graphite series HPM's very much. :yesnod: [IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/album ... Read More »

Pioneer 700 hpm. PLEASE HELP

Hello. i'm not an expert in speakers and receivers and these stuff but i heard a lot of good stuff about them, i recently bought a pair of pioneer 700 hpm and each one is 120w. currently i'm looking at receivers and amps but i don't know ANYTHING about it. all i know is that the receiver needs to ... Read More »

Pioneer HPM-200 speakers

I've got a pair of Pioneer HPM-200 speakers I'd like to unload. Does anyone out there know how much these things go for? I have no idea what price to list them at. Thanks.Read More »

pioneer HPM woofers

we have a pair of HPM series 10 inch woofers on Audiogon that are going nowhere real fast...anyone interested?...please email [email]angelann711@yahoo.com...than[/email]ksRead More »