Pioneer HPM - 100

Submitted by Keith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2013

Bottom Line:
Wow! I will keep this short. I was in a thrift store in Manhattan, KS and saw some old beat up speakers on the floor. No grills and all the dust covers pushed in. I could see they were in fact Pioneer HPM 100s. The cabinets were beat up so I asked the guy how much. He said $20 I said $15 we split at $18! Got them home took a vacuum and pulled out the dust covers and these things are like everyone else says, just awesome. I say that because I own a pair of Klipschorns and they rock just as loud. If you can get some at a good price don't wait the build quality is second to none. They blow away anything in the sub $500 price range. Although the female approval factor might be low due to their size. I am now looking for a second pair not sure I will find any for $18.

Submitted by NYC_GUY a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Bottom Line:
What a great repository of recollections about a great speaker. I just read all 60 reviews here.

In the late 70's, I was in Jr. high and my Father took me to get a new separate component system to upgrade from my compact stereo.

At first I purchased the lower priced house brand, (something similar to Verity) The speaker kept blowing out on the Technics 40 Watt receiver I bought at the time.

After a few exchanges the salesman and my Father agreed I had to spend more money and get the HPM-100's.

I used to run them on large steel stands at ear level, and oriented horizontally. I used foam rubber in between - I was a kid - what did I know.

As a matter of fact, a friend always used to tease my speakers as having boomy bass, as he had just gotten JBL 4311's.

Little did I realized the HPM's has similar or perhaps superior design heritage.

I never liked the spring terminals and eventually I bypassed them with OFC wire going direct to the crossover, and bypassing the level controls as well. Meaning a direct thicker gauge more modern wire direct from the crossover out the back of the speakers for 10 feet. I also rewired the crossover to mid and tweeter.

The speaker then truly came alive. I had since gone on to Quads ESL63's but was curious to see how good they could sound.

A few years later I made a long term loan of them to a friend (with the provision I might want them back someday) Every time I heard them at his house on a modest receiver, he had the best sound of any other friend I had (other than my new audiophile friends).

The kicker to this story is that after a number of audiophile speakers, I am back to owning Pioneer speakers again.

I own the TAD CR-1, which is an all out assault on the concept of a bookshelf monitor. I haven't heard anything at any audio show that compares to the true realism these Beryllium
mid/tweeters reproduce.

I have recently added another companies electrostatic supertweeter on top of them for even more added realism. It's amazing to hear the concept of what the HPM tried to do, actually accomplished.

Submitted by Mehmet a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
Hi. Before my born, my father had bought a pioneer hi-fi system. The system includes CT-F700 casette player, Tx 9500 II Tuner, SA-9500 II Amplifier and finally HPM 100 Speaker. We used it for a long time but while we were moving another house, the speaker was broken. Therefore I need a new speakers. What kind of speaker do you recommend? I hope I can find new speakers like HPM 100. They were excellent.

Submitted by HPM_HEAD a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've got infected with these things when I was 6 or 7. My uncle had them and they were the most amazing things that I've ever seen. During my younger days, I had money just enough to buy some cheap loudspeaker components and built carton boxes, reinforced by wood glue. My attempts to get to a closer sound level to those occupied me quite a bit and it took me so far that I ended up as an acoustical engineer, doing speaker development for a living.

2 years ago, I've paid top money for a mint-in-box pair of HPM-100s and matched them with my tube amplifier, one of the best there is and finalized my search for a speaker that would go together with any type of music that you would throw at it. At home though, I wasn't much satisfied with the staging, the depth and the presence of these at all. My transmission line design Full-Range unit (1600Euro/each) was really doing a great job as compared to these HPM-100s. Intensive adjustments, upgrades and different CDs, amplifiers didn't make any difference. However, I am lucky enough to have a 9x6x3 meter listening room at my work place and I've decided to listen them in that room. I have placed them almost 4 meters apart, 2 meters from the rear wall and sat at the other end of the room, 1,5 meter away from the rear wall.

It is in such a room, with decent volume level coming from a decent equipment you respect what they can be able to do. Then those full-ranges, those audiophile talk about 150K loudspeakers, 2K/meter cables, CD purifiers, amplifier suspenders come to a dead end. In my whole life, I have listened systems that cost more than 250K Euro and above, been to houses which had dedicated sound systems built into rooms, listened to nervous audiophile people discussing about the difference between directional cables and twisted pairs and spending thousands of Euros on CD purification equipment, and yet, their system fail to deliver the realism, impact and stage of these HPM-100s in a simple setup. I have listened to them in that room with great admiration. The whole room was playing, the whole room was contributing the music. The presence they could be able to deliver was so immense and lively! The staging was wide, the loudspeakers dissapeared completely! The tonal balance was very sweet, and with the help of the distance and facing them to each other, a beautiful balance was achieved. I've played Styx, I've played Yes, Meat Loaf, Genesis, Dire Straits, ELP and I just wanted that it would never end!

All I know is, there are lots of talking going on in the audio world. Firstly, JBL guys try to kill these because they sound much better than anything they made in those years, and the people who own a pair of HPMs and know what MUSIC is, know that JBL is just a nice looking badge, but nothing more. Secondly, in the Super High-End world people are tying to justfy the price tag of their speakers by telling bed time stories. Of course, most people listen with their Eyes, Ego, Super Ego and even with their ID and not with their ears, therefore they end up buying stuff that never sounds MUSICAL but with their terminology, refined, civilized, calm. There is nothing refined, calm or civilized with the energy transfer of music. Most instruments are played by hitting two physical objects together. This causes a shock wave to travel both in the material and in air till it reaches to our ear. There is nothing calm in a shock wave neither! It is totally non-linear and very caotic!

So if you ever decide to listen with your ears, go buy a pair, and turn a blind eye to other stories, because they are just there to steal your hard earned money but nothing else!

Submitted by Kendall Smith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought a Pioneer Integrated System brand new in 1976, spending 2600.00 . It included Amp,tuner 10 1/2 inch reel to reel, PL-530 turntable. reverb amp and my walnut cased HPM-100s. Over the years these speakers have been played very loud at beer bashes, etc. They have even vibrated themselves off table at wedding reception falling onto a concrete floor. Corner got smashed a little, but these 70 lb. babies still kick A$$! My only problem ever, was a push button speaker wire connect on the back of one speaker melted ! I still use these speakers 36 years later! If you ever get a chance to get these HPM-100s ,BUY THEM!