Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.7/5 (91 Reviews)

newer and improved model of Studio 60

Submitted by Steven a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have owned in the past several pairs of Studios (100 v2, 60 v4, 20 v2, 40 v2), but this is my first pair of 60 v2s. I picked them up on Craigslist with the real wood cherry finish (same as sample photo) for $400, an outstanding value for speakers of this quality. I would say the sound quality is very neutral, never calling attention to itself in any particular frequency. Bass is good and not bloated, but not extremely deep. The v4s I had a while back (in a different house/ room) always sounded boomy to me- would love to have another pair on hand now to compare. Mid and upper frequencies are exceptional without being harsh. I can play these loud without ever feeling the need to turn it down due to harshness. The 60 v2s LOVE power, and really come alive at moderate to higher listening levels. At 70 lbs/ each, the cabinets are pretty inert.
HIGHLY recommended, especially given a new set of 60s will set you back around $2500 (and don't sound any better- IMHO)

Submitted by PATROCKET a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
I had a pair B&W DM640i and love them but they sound to bright for me, and I had previously owned a pair of Studio 20 v2.
I sold the B&W DM640i
Found a pair of used but in perfect condition STUDIO 60 v2 (black ash finish)
Now I can honestly say that PARADIGM REFERENCE SERIES is my kind of sounding speakers.
Overall performance is solid for any style of music .
They are not the best in any category, but there versatility make them an excellent choice for audio and home theater user.
You wont get tired, even for long period of listenning with the "Studio 60"
They are just good speakers.

Purchased At:   Local Audio Shop

Submitted by amp74 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
After three years with this speaker, i have yet to add a piece to my system whose performance is being hindered by their abilities. In fact, it is the transparency and truthfulness of these speakers that allow me to resolve the minute differences in other components when scrutinizing changes. A wonderful barometer in that regard. I laugh at other speakers within this price range when it comes to build quality. Such a joy to own.

Purchased At:   Hillcrest Hifi

Submitted by egobop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Paradigm Reference Studio 60/v20 speakers as a package deal with a Parasound A23 amp, P3 pre amp and a T3 tuner. I was fortunate enough to listen to 7 different pairs of speakers in the store through the same amp and pre amp to hear which speakers I liked best with my set up. The Paradigm by far had the best sound out of the seven. I do not remember which other speakers I listened to off hand although I do remember one pair being Infinity and another being Polk. The Paradigm sounded great in the store and even better in my living room. The sound is always incredible and the speakers have no problem handling the power of the amp. I had Polk speakers before the Paradigms and I hooked the Polks up to my amp before the Paradigms to hear the difference and the Paradigms definitely sounded better. All of my music sounds crystal clear with no distortion (I know a lot of this has to do with the amp). I would recommend these speakers to anyone looking for high end sound without looking to spend thousands on the speakers alone.

Purchased At:   local store

Submitted by fast ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough about these speakers! I bought them after listening to just a handful of higher-end speakers, NHT, B&W, Definitive Technology and some lower-end, consumer grade stuff like Infinity and Polk. They stand head and shoulders above anything even close in price. For a little over a grand, you get a first-class box that weighs 88 pounds, which I believe is always the place a good speaker builder should start. Fit and finish are impeccable. And the sound! Holy cow. I'm running a new Yamaha 6.1 receiver, but it only has 75 watts per channel and the Paradigms seem to have what they need except at very high volumes. The bass response is good and tight, but I'd like a bit deeper response curve. At the price, though, the bass is excellent, smooth and never muddy or "blatty". The mids are perfect. I'm a guitarist and singer and mids are very important to me. Listen to a good female vocalist like Nancy Griffith or Sheryl Crow and you'll see what I mean. Acoustic guitar is reproduced so accurately you'll swear someone is playing in your listening room. To add a mix of impartiality to this review, I've had several of my friends listen to them and their comments range from "as good as my NHT's" to "incredible" to "I wish I bought these and saved myself six grand vs. my B&W's".

Purchased At:   Cherry Creek Audio

paradigm studio 60 v2 or studio 60 v3 ?

Is The Extra $400.00 Worth Spending On The V3? Has Anyone Really Determined The Differences Between The Two Versions? My Main Preference Is 2-channel Music.i Like The Styling On The V3 But I'd Rather Have Better Sounding Speakers? Can Anybody Help Me Pls?????Read More »