Paradigm Reference Studio 20 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (126 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Submitted by pinchechris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
Over rated in my opinion. I picked these up used pretty cheap so I can't complain too much but all I can say is that they're very un-exciting to listen to. They might have bass and they might have treble but they lack any realism or depth. These are older, the first series so I'm sure they've come a ways in the 5th incarnation. It's no excuse though because with a good sub my 1990's NHT Superzeros absolutely blow these out of the water in every way possible. I keep going back. These will be sold and I will continue to search for a bookshelf speaker that can compete with NHT for the same dough.

Submitted by txsmoke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
I picked up a pair of v.1s and an LCR-450 at Salvation Army for about $120. Some of the best mney I have spent. These are extremely power hungry, but if you have 200w/ch or more, these will do really well in a small room. Very good bass extension, smooth mids and nice highs. Imaging is good in my small office. Money well spent.

Purchased At:   Salvation Army

Submitted by Microbiologycory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is my first step into semi audiophile equipment. I have a very large room that is a challenge for these guys to fill with sound and my electronics are not optimum but I should get all that ironed out soon. The speakers are very detailed and dynamic with great range (lows to highs) and seem to image pretty well even in a 2 channel setup. The speakers sound very relaxed, none of that edginess you get with some speakers. Can be run at very high volume without distortion but they sound the best at low to moderate volume in a very quiet room.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by mbkfab a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well I promise this won't be another one of those reviews: the "Feel-Good-for-my money" variety.

I first sampled this speaker about 1.5 years ago. I fell in love with these instantly. This courtship went on for months. I would always bring the same set of CDs (CHESKY's Ultimate Demo Disk, Holly Cole TRIO's "Girl Talk" & "Blame it On My Youth", DKrall's "All For You" and Patricia Barber's "Companion". For the first time recently, I brought Cedar Walton's "Upfront").

I compared it with B&W's 601 Vers.2 and PSB's Stratus Minis. My local dealer allowed me to take them home for 1 week periods since they know me and bought from them before.

Anyway here are my "too" bits. The B&W are phenomenal for the price, truly a Rule Maker! Mids & Upper-Mids were spacious and well separated. The PSB was a click better for BASS reproduction and slightly smoother highs.

STUDIO 20s: These guys kept up with the other 2 and offered a good equal placing in the selection process. Enter Patricia Barber's "Companion". This is a LIVE Recording at a Local Chicago Club (PB's hometown). In between the song, during applause I could swear that there were surround speakers running (Surprisingly because I have a 2-Channel tube amp). Audience reactions and clapping were thrown accross and behind me that I snapped over my shoulder to verify that I WAS indeed alone in the room. THIS SPEAKER IS A RULE BREAKER!!!

In comparison to the new V.3's (which were clearly 2-3 dBs more sensitive and a hair more articulate in the ambient highs) the V.2's were slightly smoother and sweeter. The Version 3's were sharp-bordering-bright in the upper octaves, which to me suggests fatigue over longer periods.

If you can score some DEMOs of the V.2, take em now and sort the CC bills later. If you CAN score some, and don't take the opportunity... you WILL regret it.

Between the 20s and the PSB Minis, price was the biggest factor.

EQ:
MIT Term cables all around

Purchased At:   AVU

Submitted by gmood1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Studio 20v3s model.Associated equipment is a Denon dvd 900 as the source.Amplication is a limited edition Adcom 585.Cabling is Voodoo reference,Acoustic research ICs and Bluetruth biwire from better cables.Tubed Preamp is a Dared 2000SL-a.

The first thing I noticed about these speakers is the speed of the new midrange drivers.The phase plug definitely improves the clarity.Paradigm has increased the driver from a 6 1/2 to a 7 incher.Openness is something that also comes to mind when you fire them up.Bass is tight and clean without bloat.The treble is smooth and nonfatiguing..this is a must for me when listening to speakers.The soundstage the 20s throw is amazing.It can easily fill a medium size room and over power a small one.

Looks and build quality are very good.I was very impressed with the new look..eye candy for any living room!It actually makes the v2s look bland!

The off axis response is some of the best I have heard.Standing 3 feet to the outside of the left or right speaker..you can easily place the center image in the soundstage.Depth is on par with some Martin Logans I auditioned recently.

It maybe unfair to compare the 20v3s with Sonus Faber Concertos a monitor twice the price.But this will give you an idea of just how good these speakers are.

We will start with the tweeters.The Sonus is little smoother and refined.Instruments sound just a tad more real.On the other hand the 20v3s have a deeper and wider stage,almost euphoric.While throwing a larger dispersion.They both disappear with the music.Bass is also great with both speakers.Paradigm has done a great job getting the sound out of the box.I didn't detect much boxiness if any with them.The soundstage is more see thru with the 20v3s in comparison the the Sonus which is a little thicker.At low listening levels the 20v3s win out.The low level resolution is excellent and allows you to hear all the music without having to crank it!But don't think you can't crank them they can really play loud and hold their composer without becoming compressed.

I could live with the 20v3s without a sub and feel as thou I'am not giving up much in the bass performance.In my room they reach easily below the 40 hz range, which for me is the threshold of feeling the music not just hearing it.

If these two speakers were in the same room and I had to choose one it would be the 20v3s.Simply because of the value to performance ratio that puts them out front.

I suggest at least a 100 wpc solid state amp to get the best out of them.Before spending more than $2000 on some monitors it would be wise to audition the 20v3s and maybe save yourself some money!I have no doubts these speakers will make the recommended components list for most of the hifi mags.

Buying new speakers - Paradigm Studio 20, B&W CM1, others?

First post here... I'm shopping around for my first pair of "nice" speakers. My price limit is ~ $1000 for a pair. Yesterday I visited a local dealer and listen to the Paradigm Reference Studio 20 (v.4? the newest model..). The salesman also recommended the B&W CM1 which were a little more expens ... Read More »

Stands for my Paradigm Reference Studio 20!

Since i have almost got everything ready to hook on to some serious hi fidelity for the first time, i would like to be enlightened whether speaker stands really give a great boost to the speakers? Basically, i have the mission stancette and a few other locally made stands in my budget... Things such ... Read More »

Studio 20's V.4

Hi i currently have Studio 20 V.4 as my fronts im looking to add a center channel and from the recommendations from this site im going to go with another studio 20 to make 3 across the front instead of traditional CC. My question is this the Studio 20 V3 is easier to find used than the new V4 coul ... Read More »

Paradigm Studio 20 Original vs Version 3

Hello, need an advise from Paradigm experts. I just bought a used pair of Paradigm Studio 20 Original version (circa 1996). It's on it's way to be shipped right now and I was just wondering what, if any, is any difference between the original and the Version 3. I've never heard the originals but ... Read More »