Paradigm Reference Monitor 90P v2 Floorstanding Speakers

3 way bass-reflex (5 drivers), 200W external power(525W/175W RMS internal amplifier)

Submitted by JAY - jlance369 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2013

Bottom Line:
Per the review submitted by:
Rob Horton a Audio Enthusiast
Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003 . . .

I can only 'add' some important history & details.

Having worked at Audio Craft in Cleveland, Ohio, (mainly at Westlake store), and having been into AUDIO since the age of 13, I was like a "kid in a candy store!" On a dollar vs. performance level, I fell in LOVE with the Phase Tech PC-2's . . . till about mid-late 2000 (??) when the PARADIGM Monitor 70P's were introduced. The only word to describe the sound: WOW!!!! Though the Phase Tech's still had their 'spot' in my heart, the Paradigm's 'opened' a whole new World to myself, as well as MANY of my customers. MANY who were female, contrary to the 'belief' that women wanted speakers that could NOT be seen! Musically, these were 'proven' as CAPABLE . . . especially on songs such as 'Way Down Deep' & 'Rock You Gently' by Jennifer Warnes, and, 'Spanish Harlem' by Rebecca Pidgeon.

I was referred to as some at AUDIO CRAFT as the Monitor70P 'King'!

PARADIGM then took me one step further into 'Never, Never Land' with the introduction of the Monitor90P in about mid-2001 (???), and later, the Monitor90P v.2 . . . Maintaining ALL of the 'musicality' of their "70P" series, these presented themselves as MOST CAPABLE in a 'Home Theater' environment.

Far beyond the review of submitted by Rob Horton, ("Saving Private Ryan"), there are 'examples' which allow the 90P's to simply "stand-out from the crowd". Even without the 'BEST' scenario of at least a full 5.1 home theater, if a 'dedicated' sub-woofer is not either 'practical', or to do so PROPERLY, is just not a viable 'option'.

MOST of us are 'strained', at best, to try to understand what the shelling on the beachhead could have sounded OR felt like. But, although a sadly realistic, much 'closer' encounter, in today's world that we may be able to comprehend, I use the movie "HEAT", (DVD, Chapter 32 ???) . . . the 'fire-fight' on the streets of a huge, metropolitan downtown area. Sometimes referred to as a 'Concrete Canyon'. Well, give the PARADIGM Monitor90P v.2 speakers an opportunity to introduce you to the truest definition of ACCURATE, REALISTIC REPRODUCTION OF SOUND.

I get 'goosebumps' just remembering it . . . maybe I will put it on later, with hopes none of my apartment neighbors complain (TOO MUCH!).

As I recall, the MSRP was about $849.ºº/each . . . although I DID get a 'discount' as I worked for AUDIO CRAFT, I 'lost' them in a house fire, a few years later. 'Settling' for a pair of 'competitive brand' speakers . . . I was just NOT happy with the sound. I inquired about swapping them for the 90P's, but learned they had been discontinued!!! NATURALLY . . . just MY 'luck'!!! After all, we ALL 'know' that when someone does make something so 'right' & good, it won't last! Well, I kept periodically checking on what was being taken in on 'trade-ins' and FINALLY, to my amazement, MONITOR90P's . . . in Light Cherry, for $700.ºº for the PAIR!!! THANK YOU, GOD!!!

Yes I am powering them with a YAMAHA RX-V4600 receiver . . . and, even at low volume, the PARADIGM'S are truly awesome. For BOTH, music in the purist sense, and, home theater.

Whether purchased at full MSRP, or on today's 'used' market, if not "abused" and in "GOOD" or better condition . . . still a phenomenal speaker system, PERIOD!

Submitted by Kathy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have two Paradigm Monitor 90P V2 that I have to sell. Anyone interested? andreasmother@yahoo.com

Submitted by SHRLKCSPCK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have owned a pair of Paradigm Active 20's for 10 years and have always raved about them, as have many visitors who have heard them. In that time, I've constantly been on the lookout for another pair on ebay, but apparently no one ever sells them. So one fine day, while checking out ebay, i come across a pair of Paradigm Monitor P90's for $799. (US) I knew I'd have to move ny Active 20's to a smaller room, in order to accomodate the P90's. While I was thinking it over, some evil person bought them out from under me :-( Well, I head off for some fun and sun in LA and when I return a week later, what do I see on ebay? My p90's!!! The evil buyer lost his job and couldn't pay for them, so I offered $700. (US) and won these GREAT speakers. I didn't think it possible, but they are even clearer and more detailed than the Active 20's. The high, midrange and bass are all distinguishable without being harsh. The sound imaging is amazing. Sometimes I'll stand directly in front of one speaker and still be able to hear an instrument eminating from the other speaker 10 feet away! I don't know why Paradigm no longer makes these speakers, but I'm sure glad I have a pair.

Submitted by bluescreen a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love it.
My favourit album is The Gaucho album ,and this is sounding more like that one
than all the released album since then.
2 against nature became a commercial hit and that was
good
Their luck and ours.Otherwise ,who knows what would have happened.
In 2 against nature I personally think something profound was missing
This new one on the other hand has "got the news".
It tells me it aint over until the fat lady sings.
Some of the melodies I recognice from elsewhere,like
the verse in Godwhacker...Prince´s "Sign `O the times".. and the saxophone sounds like Liza Simpsons,but I can buy that

Submitted by Rob Horton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Imagine yourself driving down the road in the family Plymouth , there is a lumber truck in front of you that you need to pass you gently pull into the passing lane and push down on the throttle,the G forse molds your back into the vinyl seat as the 426 cubic inch Hemi roars to life you go from 30mph to 80 mph in what seems like a heastbeat.
This is an example of whatthe Paradigm 90p floor speakers will do for your sound system.
While listening to some old Steely Dan cd's recently I was amazed at at the sounds I was hearing! Instruments and back up vocals I had never noticed before were pronounced with crystal clear detail. The music took on a life of its own as my ears were treated to a rich smooth,full sound with a clarity I have not heard before in floor speakers.
Many people will tell you that you just need to buy some speakers then get a sub woofer. My responce to this is that the 90p's get by on a modest amount of power because of thier built in amplifiers. I hope you have money to burn you will need it to buy an expensive Amp or Preamp to drive your new power hungry system.
The Paradigm 90p has its own controls so you can adjust the amount of base you want in addition to the base controls most recievers have so there is no problems setting the base to a level that suits the listener.
Speaking of base these puppies have it to spare. For movies say like in the battle scenes on the beach in " Saving Private Ryan" Each 90p speaker has three 8" carbon-infused bass drivers that recreated the thunder and rumble of the battle scenes with spine tingling realism. The base was very tight and crisp while the ferro cooled mid range speaker brought out the grunting groaning and even the heavy breathing of the men as they stuggle up the beach with thier heavy gear.
The High Frequency Driver or Tweeter gave the whistling mortars and zinging bullets frightening realism minus the fatigue most cheaper Tweeters will leave you with. I apologize for the theatrics of this review it is a poor attempt to describe on paper what the Paradigm 90p speakers can do for an action movie like the one previously described.
You can not go wrong with these speakers or any other Paradigm speakers the way I see it.
Do yourself a favor and audition these or any of the Paradigm speakers.
I do not work for Paradigm I am just an inspired customer.
The best single word that comes to mind to sum up the Paradigm 90p floor speakers is "Awesome"

but check them out for your self

Purchased At:   "Inovations In Home