Paradigm Reference Monitor 9 v2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (45 Reviews)

2 1/2 way bass-reflex (3 drivers), 150W. Two 210mm (8") drivers with diecast chassis, ICP™ injection-moulded co-polymer polypropylene cone, Apical™ former, and one 25mm (1") PTD™ pure-titanium dome and former, ferro-fluid damped/cooled tweeter.

Submitted by Audionut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Bottom Line:
I got a pair of these last summer for $200 and i haven't regretted it since. I'm using an Audible Illusions Modulus L1 pre and believe it or not, a Kenwood M1 Basic D amp. I've read some reviews about how some don't think they're "ALL That" but, i've no idea what they're talking about! Since i've had them, 1 tweet went out and i had to contact Paradigm in Canada for a diaphram so, i bought 2 and replaced them both because i didn't know what they'd been through before i got them so i started from zero. I always wanted a pair of 11SE's but could never get my hands on a pair. I have no regrets at all. Mines are dark cherry and i had to repair and recover 1 grille, other than that, no issues. These monitors do everything i want: Smoking yet non fatigue highs, solid and detailed midranges and tight, focused bass. Extremely efficient to drive so you don't need much power but, if you've got the juice, use it! They do ALL music very well and i can't for the life of me understand why anyone wouldn't want a pair of these. They majestically stand next to a pair of Speaker Art Clef's that i absolutely enjoy. If you can find a pair of these you can afford, i say spring for them. It doesn't matter where you put them in a room, close to wall, 5 feet out or whatever, they sound great no matter where you put them.

Submitted by Ace a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had my Paradigm Monitor 9 v.2's powered by yamaha for about eight years, and it seems that as the years go by the sound quality becomes more supple. I can appreciate that all reviews of audio products are ultimately subjective, but the quality of sound reporduction inherent to paradigm speakers are far superior to 95%+ of products on the market.

-Very clean highs
-Accurate mids
-Very rich lows
-Hi-Def sound to match HD video (you could hear a pin drop amongst other sounds effects)
-Your music will sound revived, and I bet you'll go through all your favorite songs on these speakers.

For almost a decade, I have used these speakers for music and movies, and they have performed immaculately. If you are in the market for new speakers, and are not willing/able to spend thousands of dollars, I would HIGHLY recommend that you listen to a set of Paradigms.

The BANG for you buck will be nuclear.....

Submitted by hmaison a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
Today's market is flooded by numerous brands of speakers that leave consumers with plenty to wish for through mediocre performances within the several thousand dollar range. With this in mind, auditioning becomes a part of the routine in finding a set of floorstanders that not only appeal to the ear buds, but also to the homes decor. Although the later is not presently a problem, it appears that companies have lost focus in the most important aspects about music. However, Paradigm brings great joy to those seeking for stellar performances within a reasonable price, placing products from other companies several thousand-folds to shame.

This review covers the Monitor 9's vs. 4 in light cherry. Their appearance at first glance is not exotic or thrilling, but favorably satisfies the eyes with the notion of bruteness and a smeer of finness. The wood veneer finish is satisfactory, although not convincing. In addition, the grills appear a bit fragile but sturdy enough to serve its purpose. Despite the minor details that one can find in these models, where they truly excel is in their ability to perfectly convey what ever material you throw at them. Wether it is music or movies, their ability to produce effeciently sound at different volume levels is amazing. I think of them as an overall performer, not bias to musical genre. Paradigm's engineers really did their home work, placing most of the manufacturing cost of these units where it really matters to deliver a stellar product. For instance, Mozart's violin concierto number 4 in E minor through these speakers performance places the listener in the middle of the auditorium, defining each instrument with ease and a well executed soundstage. Imaging is excellent, although dispersion seems to be a bit narrow off axis in comparison to other spearkers (eg. Klipsch RF-5's deliver excellently imaging and have large dispersion). The mid-range frequencies are also close to perfect, rendering both male and female vocals and other instrumentations that deliver notes within this region as close to realistic as possible. Tesla's "Love Song" that begins with some acoustic guitars before the electric ones kick in envoke a sense of realism that convincingly brings the musician into the living room. The low end frequencies are clean, fast, and fairly deep. Ooh, did I also mention punchy! Well, not in a earth shattering extreme, but you will feel their presence. With movies, titles as in Amargedon and George Lucas Star Wars episodes, sound effects are as good and close as it gets to being in the theatre. You will feel the bottom of your seat moving your internal organs. More than gently, but once again not in shattering fashions.

Overall, Paradigm has produced a great pair of speakers that rival others without drying your wallet. They are very neutral and well balanced. Musical is their strongest characteristic, delivering clean transparent sound with a sense of warmthness and excellent tonality. Very dynamic!

Purchased At:   Midwest Stereo

Submitted by jalang63 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
I am so happy with my paradigm monitor 9v4s. I wanted to replace my 24 year old Acoustic Research 3 ways. I had ordererd Athena ASB2s and couldn't stand the sound. I spent over $100. to ship them back. I tried the Paradigms since I could return them to my retailer if within 10 days I did not like them. The sound is clear and accurate without any shrill or boominess. Since this purchase I've added the cv370 center and a pair of monitor 3v4 for the backs. You cannot get a better pair of towers for the price. The sound from them is incredible without ANY harshness.

Purchased At:   6th ave electronics

Submitted by JonA a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Monitor 9v4. I was shopping around for tower speakers to replace my Mini-Monitor's, which were being used as my main speakers in my system. The Mini-Monitors are excellent speakers, but were not giving me that detailed, room filling sound that I was looking for. After shopping around and reading various reviews, I decided to stick with the Paradigm Monitor line and ordered a pair of Monitor 9's from Shelley's Audio Video. After a short break in period, the speakers started to blow me away with their detailed sound. I was suddenly able to hear background vocals and instruments in different CD's that I regularly listen to. That "room filling sound" was now present. The speakers really shine while watching DVD's.

Purchased At:   Shelley's Audio Vide