Paradigm Reference Monitor 7 v5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.25/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $675.00

Speaker with tweeter, midrange , 2 bass drivers and 2 rear ports

Submitted by chopper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2011

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a pair of the new Monitor7 V7 floorstanders,and this is my review of them.I am not a Paradigm fanboy,but did own a pair of thier Compact Monitors in the 90's,and they were absoulutely great bookshelf speakers.I believe this new version of the Monitor series comes very close performance wise to those.These new Monitor7 V7's are the real deal.They are very neutral and muscial,without being analytical.They deliver strong bass and very good dynamic contrast in music.My only slight criticism would be that the highs can be just be little bright depending on the material played.But overall,i find myself listening with no fatique at all.I believe thier value to money spent is very high.No,they won't sound like a pair of $2500.00 Proac florstanders,but have greater value than a lot of much higher priced speakers.And they are not just for Home Theatre.I am a 2 channel guy only,and they serve all types of music with very good sound.And BTW,i have owned many good loudspeakers including Paradigm,Snell,NHT,Signet,AR,JM Lab and others.I am powering them with an Adcom GFA-5400 amp at 125 WPC,so they are getting good clean power.If your looking for smaller floorstanders,they are definitely worth a listen.

Submitted by John a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers as part of a home theater package, all Paradigm v.5 2007 models: Monitor 7, CC-190, ADP-390s, PDR-10. Components are Rotel RSX-1057, Cambridge Audio DVD89 and Samsung 50" Plasma. The room is a converted basement space that is quite large and carpeted. This was my first foray into HT, as my main system is a highly optimized 2-channel analog vinyl rig. My criteria was value and a non-glaring/harsh/biting sound. Soundtracks and explosions on DVD's can be quite grating after awhile, so a natural, non-fatiguing sound was paramount in my purchase. I listened to a setup of Pioneer Elite and PSB speakers and I thought my head was going explode after a few minutes. The sound was so sharp and hollow that it was a distraction from the movie. I then tried Denon with Definitive Technologies and Klipsch speakers at Magnolia. The Klipsch were actually a bit more pleasing in the naturalness category when I asked to here them with a low end Pioneer amp (non-digital) - but I have no idea how anyone can listen to Denon receiver components. So I finally decided to "spend some more money" to get a better sound and went to Spearit. The Paradigm Monitor line seemed in my budget, surprisingly, and was like night and day compared to what I had heard earlier. The Monitor 7 itself does lack a bit in bass - but in an HT setup that point is moot. The cohesiveness of sound, natural presentation and forward but round attack is a great strength of this line (and a surprise to me - they won't replace your main rig speakers but they are great for HT). Explosions are "explosive" but not like a knife through your head, soundtracks are larger than life and free-flowing without constraint, and there is a seamless thread through the entire sound spectrum. I listened to the Monitor 7's on their own in 2-channel, and the sound is very pleasant and neutral - although not the last word in midrange or bass as mentioned above. But as part of the HT experience they are incredible performers. I preferred then to the Titan v.5 due to their extremely small footprint and better midrange. They match slightly better with the CC290, but I had a height limit which only allowed me to get the 190. There is a slight, very slight, loss of roundness when using the 190 with the 7, but not enough to make buying the 290 an absolute must. And I would highly recommend the ADP390 over the ADP190. It pairs so much better with the 7's for many reasons. In the end I spent the same amount of money and got a system that was perfect for my needs. One last observation: I had always heard that Rotel was a "bright" amp maker. Not true - at least when paired with Paradigm Monitor Series v5.s. The Rotel seems very neutral, not being overly bright or overly warm either.

Purchased At:   Spearit Sound Boston

Submitted by Willrwilli a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2007

Bottom Line:
I was in need of updating my Polk RT 400 speakers. About 7 years ago I bought a Paradigm PS 1200 subwoofer, so I decided to look at their line. I have to say these speakers are amazing for the size of them. My dealer had a 20% off sale that helped out alot. They had a pair of v4 on sale for $500.00, but for a few dollars more I went with the newer ones. The v5's sounded fuller to my ears. I wanted something that was clean, and natural sounding, and these fit the bill. I am going to take the plunge and pick up a CC 390 center chanel. My dealer has a one year speaker upgrade program so If I decide to go the the 9 or 11 series, I will have the center channel covered.

Purchased At:   Audio Craft (Clevela

Submitted by Andrew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
I currently purchased the new paradigm Monitor 7 v5's the CC-290 v5 the ADP-190's and a new v2 pw2100. These speakers replaced monitor 7 v3's, cc-370 v3, adp-370's and a pw2200 v1. This review will focus on the Monitor 7's. I am aware that the sugested replacement for a monitor 7 in the V5 line is the monitor line is the monitor 9, but make no mistake this monitor 7 v5 is still much more speaker than the 7 v3. Still bi-wirable and with a seperate mid driver exellent cross over pionts and much more power handaling clarity and volume. This by the way is a 2007 model not 2006. This speaker has flater bass response but that is due to a dual rear port design and the reponse is quite good after 50 hours of break in and a little volume, these speakers just handle so much more power. The imaging and clarity has been taken to a new level and is very impressive esspecially with a good amp. If you need a very strong speaker with clarity and power for music and movies this is it. these speakers integrate with a sub extreemly well and are very easy to listen to for hours at a time not harsh or shallow in any way. I am really enjoying these and they just keep getting better go check them out.

Submitted by jimwiz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2007

Bottom Line:
I listened to this speaker for an additional pair in a 2 channel setup. I already own a pair of monitor 7 v2. I thought the sound was a little thinner than what I was used to with the v2 model. Not as much mid range/base. After my listening session, I saw that the Monitor 7 V5 is a replacement for the Monitor 5. For a fair comparisin to previous models you'd have to listen to the Monitor 9v5 (which is replacing the Monitor 7/9). I don't know what the other v5 models sound like. This is just a heads up to be sure that you compare apples to apples if you're reverencing previous Monitor versions.