Paradigm Reference Monitor 3 v2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.54/5 (13 Reviews)

2 way bass-reflex (2 drivers), 100W. One 210mm (8") driver with diecast chassis, ICP™ injection-moulded co-polymer polypropylene cone, Apical™ former, and one 25mm (1") PTD™ pure-titanium dome and former, ferro-fluid damped/cooled tweeter.

Submitted by fuzzer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
i’ve been a big paradigm fan for years. they really know how to make incredible speakers.
recently i upgraded my home theater with a set of monitor 3 v3’s for fronts and mini
monitor’s for rears. i was using titan’s and atom’s before. don’t get me wrong these to are
brilliant speakers as well, but, nothing like the monitor 3’s. when i started to listen to the
monitor 3’s i noticed how much more detail there was. infact parts in songs came out i
had never heard before. whether it was a percussive sound or an added keyboard synth
accompanying a guitar riff. soundstaging is amazing. i can close my eyes and pick out the
band on live tracks. each breathe of a singer is honest and right. it is easy to have extended listening periods with these speakers. the bass extends below 40hz and rich and warm , properly blended. if your after headache pounding bass you'll need a sub. these although are bookshelf speakers, need proper stands and breathing room away from the wall, as they are rear ported and shorter in the version 3's and 4's, or else they will sound a bit bumpy in the low end.
personaly i have traded up my speakers three times in two years. i am now finally happy and don't plan on ever letting these go.
when purchasing speakers no two ears are alike and it is difficult to translate what is heard into something read. with that said always be objective and if you can see if you can bring them home to listen in your environment. try not to let the hype of a brand name deside over personal preferance.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Kevin Cagle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have been using these for right at 1 year now and am very satisfied with them. These are my first audiophile quality speakers that I have ever purchased, so I can't make many comparisons to other brands.

My main complaint is that the dealer knew I was purchasing these for a home theater system yet he sold me a pair that are not shielded. The shielded ones are the same price, so why do they even make them unshielded? It does not make much sense.
He said that he can order some caps for the magnets to shield them.

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Submitted by chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
These are my first pair of new speakers and complete a system that includes a sumo athena pre-amp and NAD 2200 amp. I also tried the mini monitors and returned them for the 3's, gratefully. I recently added 26inch speaker stands. I am decent at hearing hi fi differences but am always skeptical of the notes in these reviews. But I would say the above reviews are largely correct. The speakers are getting warmer with break-in time, but not loosing any definition, maybe even improving. The "sound-stage" is very good. But the speaker stands suprised me as incredibly important in improving definition, especially with the bass. The bass is adequate, tight and clear, mid is just adequate, but definition and stereo separation make it seem very good. The mid to high i would say is excellent. Overall I am very pleased and haven't really heard a better system in a home barring 5 figure set-ups. I did have a woofer coil come loose which was repaired in a couple days without charge and have had no trouble since. It is concerning but i have 4 1/2 years left on the warranty to shake it loose again.

Purchased At:   hawkeye audio

Submitted by E Pena a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
After much review of several different speakers, I chose the Monitor 3s. A true test of speakers is where you will actually put them an not in the showroom.
I started with the Mini's and they sounded great but for a few bucks more, I opted for the Monitor 3s. A bit boomer and not much bigger.
These speakers have a neutral but lively sound to them and the spaciousness is apparent.
I would highly recommend these particularly if you are tight on space. For movies they are awesome.
Bought the stands for these. Pop some sand in them as recommended and there is a difference in sound.
Overall--money well spent....

Purchased At:   Hillcrest audio

Submitted by fmcorps a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was originally planning on picking up a set of mini monitors for a set of surrounds for my hHT. I did not have a chance to audition these suckers, however I was replacing an older system and had decided on the Monitor 9's to replace the Infinity Studio 150's that are currently sitting in my apartment (those suckers are coffins...HUGE) but I digress.

I chose to go with the monitor 3 v.2 for a couple of reasons, the biggest is the fact that I firmly expect the speakers to blend perfectly with the 9's...all the drivers between the 3's and the 9's are identical. Secondly, they were $50 more then the Mini's...so I figured, what the heck. If they dont work, I'll send them back.

I WILL NEVER SEND THESE SPEAKERS BACK.

Before I get into how they sound, let me say this...these speakers ar by far the HEAVIEST bookselfs I have ever seen. i practically herniated a disc carring these things up the steps to my apartment. They weigh more then the full sized 4 ft x 2ft x 1.5 ft infinity studio 150's I own.

Size wise they are a little clunky. They are a lot larger then a lot of "bookselfs" out there. These suckers are close to two feet tall, which may not seem like a whole lot...untill you actually see them. Wow.

I've only been using them for about a week, and I'm not quite certain that they are broken in yet...but they sounded sweet right out of the box. There is a HUGE amount of bass that these puppies crank out. Although not nearly as much bass as the Infinitys (hey, it's a friggin 15 in woofer in the Infinitys) They still give the Infinity's a run for their bottom end...which just amazes me. These were intended to be my surrounds untill I get the Monitor 9's in, but they quickly bumped the coffins to the rear surrounds, and took their rightfull place as my fronts. Paired with the CC 370 v.2, the surround sound stage of my DVD-A recordings is AMAZING. They do a great job of dishing out great stereo sound to. If you're looking at picking up a pair of Mini Monitors, splurge the extra $50, and give these suckers a good home.

Purchased At:   Site on Sound