Paradigm Reference Mini Monitor v2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.87/5 (46 Reviews)

2 way bass-reflex . One 165mm (6.5") driver with diecast chassis, ICP™ injection-moulded co-polymer polypropylene cone, Apical™ former, and one 25mm (1") PTD™ pure-titanium dome and former, ferro-fluid damped/cooled tweeter.

Submitted by jawzx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
If a better value in small speakers exists I don't know what it is.

The Minis are so strong in so many areas and such a fantastic value that I don't know if talking about weaknesses is a worth-while endeavor...but here goes;

treble response on the Minis, though smooth and revealing is not quite as refined or extended as B&W DM303s, and some other Brittish products.

Bass, though tight and tremendously extended for a 6.5", will require a sub to really rock the house like a mad DJ.

They aren't as efficient as some other small speakers, and actualy need a little grunt to really fire them up.

Beyond these little nit-picky issues the Paradigm Mini-Monitor (v2 and v3) may simply be the best speaker value on earth. There are speakers that sound better, and speakers that cost less. I have yet to hear anything close to what the Minis can do for less than $600.

Purchased At:   Sound Source

Submitted by kexodusc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
These are version 3's (4th quarter '03). I picked these up to match them to new Monitor 7's and replace a set of rear Paradigm Titans I had. These are incredible little speakers. I spent about 2 months sampling Axiom, Klipsh, PSB's and Paradigms. I'm not going to knock the Klipsh or Axiom speakers, they were beautifully designed and sounded pretty good as well...the PSB's were overpriced and simply outmatched. I find the Axiom's (bought a bookshelf set for upstairs from a friend, felt bad I didn't buy everything from him) don't have as accurate a mid range or bass sound as the Mini's. The crystal clear highs the Paradigms spit out are quite impressive. The ultimate difference between the Paradigm Monitor series and the others I tested was the ability to handle power and louder volumes without compromising sonic accuracy across the dynamic range, something the Klipsh seemed to fail miserably at, and the Axiom never had to begin with.
I use these 50/50 between music (Blues, Jazz, Classical, and Rock) and HT. They are very good as rears and you won't believe how much sound comes out of these little things. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Valley Audio

Submitted by Feanor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I suspect the version I bought in 3rd quarter of '02 is ACTUALLY VERSION 3 -- 1" PTD titanium tweaker, ICP co-polymer 6.5" mid/base, etc.. Price above is in Canadian dollars.

They are remarkable speakers anywhere close to their price range for resolution, imaging, and soundstage. They are extremely accurate and airy throughout the mid-range in general, reproducing male and female voices very well.

You ought not to expect too much from mid-size bookshelf spearkers in terms of base. I can't say whether the Minis are a much worse or better than the competion: for my part I use a PSB Subsonic 6 subwoofer for everything below 80Hz. This combo works extremely well in my location, without any false deep or mid-base boost.

The Minis are NOT a "warm" sounding speaker. To me the Mini v3 are a bit forward in high-mid to low-top end. The high range of violins, woodwinds, and brass sounds a little exaggerated, though remaining every clean and grain-free. This might be drawback for classical listeners. I was able to mitigate
this "problem" to some extent by angling the speakers straight ahead rather than toed in. (Or maybe the problem is really just my amp -- an ancient Phase Linear 400!)

Also, the Minis are highly revealing of less that really good recordings and associated equipment: don't expect them to hide flaws elsewhere.

No doubt these speakers deserve a careful listen in, or even a bit above, their price range.

Purchased At:   Krazy Kiley's

Submitted by paradigmtime a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got a pair of these Mini Monitors roughly a year ago at a Champagne Sale at a local stereo shop. I had researched these puppies well in advance. After listening to them, it was obvious that Paradigm makes if not the best, some of the best speakers for the value. I have never heard a better 6.5" speaker in this price range.

Highs are crisp without being harsh. Bass is really tight, refined and PRESENT. It is necessary to have a sub for great low end extension, but you could easily do without it for casual music listening listening.

Submitted by steve6 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
This actually is a review of the mini monitor V3. Did extensive reading on these babies here and elsewhere. Picked them up yesterday. Got the appropriate Premier stands for them today (if you're ever in Little Saigon, stop in at Top Audio, they are nice folks. LOTS of Paradigm.) At any rate, all my expectations have been fulfilled. I gave them a try by themselves, thought the bass was punchy as advertised, but then decided to mate them with my Polk PSW 450. Listening to Clapton's "From The Cradle" at this moment. Nothing short of stunning. Those who say the tweets "sizzle" and that the minis are bright must be a lot younger than me. Us old folks lose high-end hearing, and "sizzle" is the sound I crave. The minis are very rich and full-bodied with surprising detail. Ooomph, yes, but also delicacy -- I spun Regina Carter's new disc and have never heard a violin reproduced with such sweet clarity. I also second what others have said about the little guys sort of disappearing. I hear music, I don't see speakers. The Paradigm mini monitors are an incredible, almost unimaginable bargain.

Purchased At:   Genesis Audio, Irvin