Paradigm Reference Atom Floorstanding Speakers

4.58/5 (149 Reviews) MSRP : $179.00

Submitted by tunefulnoise a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
I had the original Atoms, which I've since given to my brother (and I miss them!).
To get such a full-bodied sound and such volume out of a tiny, cheap box was and
is amazing. The Atoms are so much fun to listen to you don't really miss what's
not there - deep bass, the last word in transparency or treble extension. They did
the important things right, like a flat and uncolored midrange. An outrageous
value.

Purchased At:   Simply Stereo

Submitted by louofm1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
After on of my 16 month old twins decided to put his fingers through the woofers on my old Infinity Studio Monitor SM105s (from the early 90's), I knew it was time to look for new speakers. Yes, I know I can replace the foam but I decided to find something smaller. My wife and I recently purchased a larger HDTV so we wanted something small and mountable to fill the front stage.

I've been a huge fan of Paradigm products for the last 7-8 years. For several years, I've owned an amazing and very powerful PW2200 paradigm sub that matched my infinity speakers quite well. The Infinities (back then) were decent speakers. The put out spacious highs and very good mid-bass (10 inch woofers). However, they always lacked the bottom end which my paradigm sub easily handled. I picked up a pair of Atoms a few years ago to take care of the rear channels.

I suggested another pair of Atoms for the front but the wife still felt they were a bit too bulky. She was thinking about something very small. I didnt mind purchasing smaller speakers as long as they had clean highs and solid midrange. This was the problem. Everything I listened to sounded terrible or was lacking midrange. I listened to a set of Infinity Bravos and was very disappointed. It sounded like music being played through an empty tin can. I went to my dealer to take a listen to the Paradigm cinema series. The highs were excellent but they were still lacking in midrange (because of the driver size). I was worried that my system would be missing a huge midrange between the speakers and my sub. The dealer kept suggesting the Atoms. He told me that he sells "Definative Technology" speakers at 3 times the cost of the Atoms but don’t compete. Finally, I had him switch to the Atoms on display (without a sub) and they instantly filled the room with beautiful sound (highs, mids and even decent bass). Since he offered me a deal I couldn’t refuse on last year’s version 4, I didn’t resist. I asked if he would help me deal with my wife. He agreed to sell me the speakers but stated I was "on my own" with the spouse.

I trust my dealer greatly and he has never steered me wrong. He made a comment that in the 20 years he's been selling audio products, he has never ever heard a better sounding "bookshelf" speaker than the Atom.

Submitted by Renko a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
The Atoms are still the best speakers I own. I mistakenly thought I was getting better speakers by spending $600 for two floor standing speakers and another $350 for two satellites and a center channel speaker. I used those speaker to replace the Atoms and Paradigm Micros which I was using with a sub and no center channel. After several months of adjusting the speaker settings on my stereo and never being completely satisfied with the sound, I pulled out the old Atoms and hooked them up to the stereo's second speaker channel. I could not believe what I had been missing. I compared the speakers directly and could instantly hear how much clearer the Atoms were. I watched parts of a movie I had viewed the night before without being able to understand much of the dialogue. Through the Atoms, I could hear everything I was meant to hear in the movie. I then compared the speakers listening to a variety of music. Again, the Atoms were much fuller and added a certain depth to the music that had been missing. I am now searching for a good deal on a Paradigm center channel speaker and am preparing to sell the speakers on which I wasted $950. I was considering paying $2,000 or up for speakers that will go into a theater room I am in in the process of putting together. Instead, I am going to simply use six Atoms and a Paradigm sub. For speakers costing less than a grand, the Atoms can't be beat.

Purchased At:   Sound Decision - Roa

Submitted by dude8370 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
Wow! is the best explaniation to say about these speakers. They are driven by an onkyo tx-sv727. These speakers greatest strength is their bass!! No need for a subwoofer, these pups can handle it on their own. If you are looking for a speaker, stop and buy these! They are forgiving on old recordings, but will show off on great recordings. you can't go wrong with these

Submitted by marknrox a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
GIANT KILLER!!

If you’re reading this, then you’re thinking about getting them. Stop thinking about it and buy a pair!

Shopping for my parents, and having experience with Paradigm speakers, I knew I was going to get them either the Atoms or Titans. Even after reading all the reviews I could find, I was not prepared for the sound I would hear from these small boxes!

I borrowed a pair from the local dealer to try at home. My living room is approx 16x19 with 11 ft. ceilings and a very open floor plan. These little Atoms filled my room with full, rich, and incredibly detailed sound. Who said they don't have enough bass?! These speakers are truly amazing. A good sub or the Titans may be in order for loud hard hitting rock. But you WILL be surprised at the amount of bass. For home theater you will need a sub anyway, so that could be the ultimate in price/performance.

Knowing my parents would be playing mostly older 50’s and 60’s recordings like Otis Redding, Percy Sledge, Wilson Pickett etc, I was afraid the age of these recordings would be exposed and come across thin and bright. WRONG! The Atoms are forgiving, and let the original intentions of the recording come across warm, clear and clean, not even close to being too bright or forward like Paradigms can be sometimes. It was rich with lots of crisp detail and the horns on Otis Redding’s ‘I’ve Been Loving You Too Long To Stop Now’ had a wonderful mid-low bite to them. And these are the older recordings! Playing newer, better recorded material is where they truly leave you in awe.

I fell in love with these little speakers and couldn’t wait to get home from work to play them. It’s truly amazing that they can get this kind of sound out of such small boxes. And at this price you can sit back, close your eyes and lose yourself in fine music reproduction, just like real audiophiles!

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Paradigm Atom speakers

I want to upgrade the sound on my IMac at a reasonable price for listening to music. The Atom reviews make them sound like a good choice. However I am not sure about interfacing to the IMac. Would I need a separate amplifier?Read More »

Which amp for Paradigm Atom

I just ordered these from eBay. I have no idea which amp to buy, that would work with them. They have pretty low sensitivity(89db) and are 50W at 8ohm. My budget is about 300-400$. I am going to use my computer as the input source, in my pretty small (12sqm even less) room, do I need anything else ... Read More »

Which is better for Rears? Paradigm Atom/ADP vs Energy Act 1

:) Hi ya'll I'm looking for rear L/R and eventually C speakers. I'm running the Athena ASB2/ASC1 as my Center and Front L/R and am very happy with them. My reciver is the Yamaha 570KF 6.1 (OK). I am limited for size in my rears so am looking at Paradigm Atoms, Paradigm ADP 70's or Energy Act 1 ... Read More »

Good value? Atom + C320BEE + Audigy

First-time poster here. I've lurked and read and searched, but I still have some questions, so I thought I'd throw them out here. I like listening to music and have a decent ear, but I'm definitely no audiophile. And since I'm a (poor) graduate student, I'm simply interested in good, solid, and ... Read More »

Review of Paradigm Atom by CNET Labs.

Reviewed by Steve Guttenberg. For our home-theater tests, we set up a complete Paradigm speaker ensemble: the Atoms, a PDR-10 subwoofer, a CC-170 center speaker, and ADP-170 surrounds. The first thing we noticed about the sound was how seamlessly those four Paradigm models worked together. We did ... Read More »