Paradigm Reference 5seMk3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.07/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $529.00

8" bass/mid, 1" treated textile dome tweeter, 150 watts, 32Hz-20kHz

Submitted by Accordguyintake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
Im a very poor college student that got lucky. My cousin didnt have space for these and GAVE them to me.. Brand new in box! I currently have them hooked to a sony (sigh*) STR-DG510 receiver. I dont have anything to compare it to since my last pair of speakers were BOSE 141s... I have heard my cousin's Legacy Whispers once but i didnt pay close attention to details like i do now. At first i was only slightly impressed with them. I had single wires hooked up to them and they sounded clean... sometimes the bass would become a bit boomy. After advising the owners book and read its suggestion on "Bi-Wiring" i gave it a try. WOW the speakers really came to life! i currently have a 2.1 setup and music really fills the front "stage". The best qualities of this speaker could be heard at moderately loud volumes. Too low and it lacks a little detail, going louder sounds fine but i have sensitive ears.. haha. I really need to borrow someone's higher end receiver to see if the sound improves... wouldn't say listening to them sounds like hearing a stereo, it's more like ALMOST hearing a live performance. Close your eyes and you can easily get lost in many songs. Watching movies is even distracting because the sound is too good for the picture! I think the speaker lacks a little midrange since voices seem to be the background in the music. The instruments are very apparent and detailed, i think it handles songs with lots of instruments VERY well but once you get down to the nitty gritty like Jazz, it lacks some "depth" needed to reproduce the sounds of a bass and other gutsy instruments. overall i rate them 7.5/10. VERY close to perfection, could probably get there with upgraded equipment and wiring. needless to say, these speakers have gotten me to the entrance of the AudioPhile life and i am running through the door

Submitted by Freewillisdead112 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
I just picked up a pair of these and the ATOMS and a kenwood Receiver for a AMAZING PRICE OF $125 USD!!!!

Never heard a speaker that came alive so much on a not so great amp! the receiver has the power but doesnt like to accept 12awg so its a little tricky! the bi amp is AMAZING for something so old! best buy for sure

great mid
great bass FOR ITS SIZE
great amazing awsome sweeet warm highs!!!

=] if you see a dumby on craigs list selling these for the LOW....buy them now!

Submitted by corky newman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a nice tight speaker for low level listening enjoyment. I had a rebuilt set of Ohm model L's and a nice modern set of JBL Riva's in the fold..After 1 week with the Paradigms the JBL's went to the TV room, and the OHM's were sold. The Paradigms have a sweet midrange and a wide soundscape that just pulls you into the music. They really made me upgrade my Pre amp & power amp models. I play Jazz fusion music with loud horns & Keys, and these speakers really hold onto the notes very close to a studio monitor, but not at flat in the EQ.
I am very happy with them in my stereo room, and will use them for years to come.

Submitted by mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Was looking at Paradigms for awhile, also bought a pair of atoms (great value / look at v2.0 - bought for $135 on-line new). Broke down and bought a pair of 5SE's on e-bay. Bit disapointed at first, tear out the bs batt insulation and go to a local fabric store and get 1" tight, dense, fiber insulation. Place on all 5 sides, leaving the front open. The speaker comes alive, what a difference..... Much tighter and better mid response, I think what they had planned.... No comparison.... Night and day.
I was looking at the mini-monitors, don't buy. Finally heard recently, lacks everything a speaker of this cost should sound?? Do yourself a favor and buy an older used pair, or even go with the atoms with a passive sub, much better sound....

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by Alan Phillips a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had these speakers for about 7 years now and still love them. They still deliver that sweet sound with deep low's many sub woofers cannot achieve. I prefer the two way design because my hearing is very sensitive to strong midrange frequency's and these speakers cater nicely to my musical needs. I'm using them with a Yamaha RX-V850 receiver, CD changer, & cassette deck. The sub frequency's are handled by a Definitive Technology PF15TL powered sub. All in all it's a great music/home theater setup. The only regret I have is that I should have gone with the 9seMkIII's and gotten the second 8" woofer, plus the 9's are taller and deeper. I'll keep the 5semkIII's for many years to come and would highly recommend them to anyone. They sound beautifully acurate at low and mid volumes and are able to easily achieve uncomfortably loud volumes if asked to do so. I personally feel that all things considered, value, size, performance, how much square footage they take up, etc. these speakers can't be beat. Paradigm has a great product.

Purchased At:   Stereoland