Paradigm Reference 3se mini Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)

bookshelf speaker

Submitted by Rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2012

Bottom Line:
Purchased 25 years ago. With children and the grand daughter now, these speaker have had been through there share of spikes and transients,and still sound great.
What I am looking for are replacement drivers

Submitted by Bill a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
Replacing the surrounds on my daughters Paradigm Titans stoked my interest in Paradigm. All Paradigms are pretty good but one is special. The 3se mini. I have listened to Titans, Mini-Monitors v3 and v4, Se 7's, and Studio 20's. There is something magical about these little guys. Silk and paper IMHO outperform plastic and metal. With good electronics and 24" stands(properly placed) the 3 se mini's can hang with speakers costing 5 times their price(used market). Some notable features: the mid-range especially female vocals have that "air" around them that one would experience with $1000 speakers; the bass is fast and as deep as possible with a 6" woofer. The overall presentation with proper placement and power is astounding.

Submitted by Derek H a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
I got my 3se-mini's in 1988-89 when Paradigm first started selling in the US (or so I was told by the sales guy). I've used them on several brands of receivers with various sub-components and am always impressed with their performance. I still use them as my main speaker system with surrounds, a center + sub because I haven't been happy with any of the out-of-box systems. I've convinced (thru sampling) 3 other consumers to purchase Paradigm products. This has given me the opportunity to hear other Paradigm products which may look nicer but pale in comparison to the 3se-mini's when the crunch goes on. I will not be afraid to get a new product from Paradigm in the future. ANYWHERE you can find these - get them -- plain & simple..

Purchased At:   soundsdeluxe

Submitted by moonsky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
These are excellent speakers. Great definition across the frequency range. Like all small speakers they don't have the ultimate in bass, but what you do get is a well balanced musical presentation which is totally non-intrusive. I've listened to quite a few higher end speakers, NHT, Krix and Orpheus to name a few. The Paradigms survive very well in this kind of company. If you are in the market for quality bookshelf speakers, these are well worth consideration. At their going price on ebay, they are nearly an unbeatable bargain.

Submitted by c-man a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased these little wonders used in 1994 or 1995, and for the past 7-8 years they have been my references. I've auditioned other speakers and found none I like better unless they were several TIMES the price of new ones (the current model, which is now four or five generations later, is the Mini Monitor, which has received rave reviews and lists for a paultry $350). I've had these speakers in four different listening rooms, all of different sizes, shapes, and compositions, and they have always been superb. The sound is even and fluid, without the slightest hint of harshness or stress. And the bass--all I can say is that, from a 5.75" woofer in a small enclosure, it is OUTSTANDING. I use these for classical (CD and vinyl), 70's rock, heavy metal, and movies/TV, and they work equally well across the board. Not only that, but they can take a temendous amount of input without any cone breakup or other distortion (the upper trebble CAN get a little harsh at very loud levels, but it's minor). During *The Empire Strikes Back,* when a star destroyer rumbles overhead, these little woofers actually shook my furniture! If you're in the market for great speakers with a small footprint, the newest version just can't be beat.

Purchased At:   Team Electronics