Paradigm Reference 11seMrk3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.6/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by Tim Morgan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
Upgraded to 7.1 surround when I bought these. Moved my bose 301s to the sides and pushed my bose's 201s to the centre rear. What a difference these Monitor 11's have made. Full range of sound, very well put together construction. I even got my first noise complaint the day after I got them!
Soon I will replace my bose completly with Paradigms when I buy the ADP 370s in sept of 05.
I have been impressed from the start with my Paradigms, I expect I won't replace them them for many years.

Purchased At:   Professional sound

Submitted by gpower a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I auditioned a lot of speakers before deciding on the 11's. For price/performance I didn't hear anything that approached these. Sound is very well balanced. Highs and mids are clean and clear. Lows are tight and solid. More than enough bass output for home theatre use. I haven't found the need to add a sub yet.

These speakers really open up and perform driven with high current amplification.

Purchased At:   Musicstop

Submitted by Marcelo Soto-Quiroga a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
Superb price/performance ratio.
A very strong and heavy, sturdy-enclosure speaker at the price of lower quality models.
Excellent stereo image when proper positioned, i.e: a little bit far from walls, and parallel (not toed-in).
Better response if bi-wired.
Binding posts nuts a little weak and tricky to hand-tighten. Must use a socket-wrench to adjust.

Purchased At:   local store, Buenos Aires

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had a pair of 11seMkII. Bought them when I was in school for $600 Canadian. They've been treating me well ever since. They've got lots of thump and they like to be turned up. After time (and listening to other speakers) the highs started to bother me (a bit sharp), especially at high volume. There's no midrange in this speaker and it could use one, just to bring the sound together. Now these are comments after I have started to listen to a pair of Kef Q55, which have a very smooth sound and an incredible sound stage, but not the low end punch of the 11's. The 11's do have four 8" woofers compared to the Kef's two 6" ers. You figure out the rest.

Overall I am a very satisfied Paradigm owner and would reccomend these speakers to anyone who hasn't listened to anything too high end.

Rotel RC-970BX Pre-Amp
NAD 2400 Power Envelope (100watts/side)
NAD 520 CD player
AudioQuest Solid Core Copper speaker wire (get a pair, your speakers will thank you!)

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
Just got these used from a local dealer, have biwired them and like the results. I couldn't hear a big difference between these and the 4x more expensive Studio 100's (they did have a better high end, but not hugely better), so for $600 CDN these were a steal - told the dealer to call me if another pair arrive.

I am having some trouble with placement, I find these quite sensitive and (so far) have found they must be at least 18" away from the wall or they get quite "boomy". That being said, they're nice and tight once correctly placed. You neeed to experiment quite a bit, and I still have some spots in the room that are boomy listening points.

So far my summary is...

a) Great speakers, well worth picking up a pair
b) Biwiring makes a very noticeable difference
c) They need to be freestanding at least 18' from any wall