Optimus Dipole Tweeter
Description: Add on Tweeter Module

Submitted by Christopher Wolff a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a very good value, as others have said here already. However be aware that this version uses an inferior polyprolene diaphragm as do all late model and current Radio Shack speakers with a Lineaum design tweeter. The original Radio Shack version had a superior design using Mylar for the ribbon material resulting in better imaging and dynamics. This version is still available as a parts replacent for the original LX5 and LX10 Optimus speakers. Also, if you plan to use this tweeter design in a high end application but believe it is not suitable because of evaluation of the poly version you can use the mylar version with better results. If you want true audiophile quality, you can order the original pure silk diaphragm design that Lineaum used in their high end speakers. This version was manufactured and a limited supply is still available directly from Aura Sound, though this will cost more than the Radio Shack version the audible difference the silk material makes it worth the extra cost, shipping charges and hassle to order it. The original Lineaum tweeter manufactured by Lineaum is still avialable also, albiet only to existing owners of genuine made Lineaum speaker systems. A serial number is required to order one of these speaker drivers since the existing stock is old and intended only for original parts replacement. If you happen to have some serial numbers that a genunie owner has graciously lended you, you can simply contact just about any former Lineaum dealer to aquire the tweeters. Expect the cost of these drivers to be relatively high and since it is the same design used by the Arua dist. version the extra cost and trouble is not worth it unless you simly need peace of mind knowing you have bonafide Lineaums.

-Christopher Wolff

Submitted by J.C. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is just to add that, if you can find them (somewhere out in the far reaches of interstellar space), the price is now $2.97. "Fascinating".

Purchased At:   Radio Shack; Camden, Delaware

Submitted by Gary Truex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I too am a big fan of the Lineaum tweeters.
While the dipoles are no longer available on clearence, there still is a great deal to be had from Radio Shack Unlimited.
The monopole is still only $14.95[the dipole may well be available too. I didn't check, I got mine when they were $19.95].
I've been playing around for several yr.s combining these tweeters with better woofers and crossovers.
I recently expanded my main system to be tri-amp capable[using a quality 12V 3-way active crossover. Don't laugh, it works great] and I paired 4 of the 180 deg. Lineaums with four upper mid-fi. 6.5" woofers [I mainly listen to music in the standard Dolby suround, sans center channel].
With an 18db./octive high-pass, I've tried crossing them over at 2.5K, 3.5K and 5k Hz. They just didn't sound comfortable at 2.5k, so I settled on 3.5K. Which is fine with me , as the woofers will easily play up to that.
By using an active crossover, I avoided the need of designing[or have designed] a passive crossover for the somewhat odd Re. of 6 ohms for the Lineaum tweets. It also eliminates concerns for matching SPLs. Although the rather ineffecient Lineaums match well with many woofers without need for tweeter attenuation.
These tweeters, used as I described[crossed-over sufficently above their resonate Fq. and driven with a clean strong signal] are just superb. I really feel that I would have to go with floorstanders[perhaps magnaplaners or electrostatics] or 3-way mains to improve upon their performance.
I've read here that one reviewer felt that they were plasticky sounding, but I feel that looking at the tweeter diaphram may have colored his perception.
I also read of of Cory Greenburg's remark that the Lineaum monopoles were "beamy". Perhaps I don't understand the meaning of the word in his context, but I've always been amazed at how little the tweeter response drops off, off-axis with these transducers. Almost to the perpendicular. In a suround set-up, these tweeters offer a homogeneous swrill of sound without the diffusion of dipoles.
On the subject of dipoles, I use them as well, in my second modest system using only a pair DIY 3-way floor standers. They are crossed over from the 5.25 in. mid-woofer with a simple 1st order high-pass[with a quality cap] at 3k. An L-pad was inserted, but is not really needed. Being larger, I think the dipole is more tolerent of a less sharp filter and lower X-over fq. But I think 3k hz. is the lowrange limit for a 6db. filter . On the other hand, they roll quite a bit faster over 14-15K hz. Perhaps this is why some people have had problems matching timber with monopole centers and dipole mains. There doesn't seem to be any problem matching monopole mains to dipole surrounds though. I've done it myself. For a two speaker system[I'm using SRS] the 360 deg. Lineaums are fantastic. Like another poster mentioned, You can walk into a different room with out hardly any drop-off in sound.
To sumize. These are an outstanding value. For mere lunch money, a guy can walk into his local R.S and order tweeters that are not only very sweet, but durable as well.
We budget wana-be-philes never had it so good.

[I suppose people will ask, Why not spend the money to tri-amp on really good speakers in the first place? Well, for one thing, I went on the upgrade as you go plan and the two Pioneer recievers[ VSX 209 and VSX 608, I already had a nice Sony Pro-logic rack amp. to run the sub.s.] only came to $500 on Ubid. That's [an optimistic]640 watts of four speaker power for less than a dollar a watt. Add in another $300 for the cross-over, connects[I make my own using R.S stuff. Buy the long three packs and the 12"gold"RCA ends and make 24 cables] and extra speaker wires and I think I'm still ahead of the game.
To better the sound of this system with one reciever, I'm sure that I would have to be looking at speakers starting well over $1,000.
There is a downside though. Three recievers does take up some space and would not appeal to those with minimalist tendencies. And things like source switching and 5.1 sound can present connecting challanges[I wimped out and use a switching box. One of the weird things about the new budget Pioneer, Optimus and RCA recievers is that the tape loop needs to see a record signal to become functional.]
And I'm necessarly locked into an anolog system, even though the major componates are digital capable. But that's ok because the DAC in my Denon DCM370 is superiour to those in the Pioneer recievers[but they have great surround processors].
Other "budget" componates in my systems are:

Purchased At:   Radio shack

Submitted by brian g. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I already knew what i was getting when i bought these. i have a pair of Optimus LX8's that use the same tweeter. I decided to get these to add on to an old pair of Pinnacle Speakers i got for free. i was in a mall when i saw them for only $10 a peice!!!! awsome price from $30! i wish they use binding posts instead of screws though. oh well. the opened up great highs on the Pinnacles. These things rock!

Purchased At:   Radioshack

Submitted by Den a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Cheap domes simply can't compare to these.
At this price, I give 'em 5 starts for value.
5 stars overall,but imaging is a lil' imprecise compared to the best tweeters I've heard.

I loaded up on the close-out, and I've got a few extra pairs of these tweeters. New in box.

Will sell for $50/pair INCLUDING UPS ground shipping.

E-mail me if interested.