Ohm WALSH 200MK-2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.93/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $2995.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

The Walsh 200 Mk-2, can play fill a room twice the size with the same sound levels. Also, our Walsh 200 Mk-2''s go slightly deeper in bass for more dramatic effects.

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Ohm Walsh 3000 which also replaces the Ohm 200, both in the company's lineup as well in my own lineup. As much as I liked my old 200s, this next generation is the bomb. First off, most vividly to me, there's a sharpness to the sound, a sharpness one only finds with live music. Acoustic instruments in particular sound especially life-like. Now I did update my amplifier to an SMc Audio-modded DNA-125 and I'm sure this is helping, but I'm most impressed & satisfied with this sharpness.

Other impressions are the stereo imaging as well as the separation. Quite wonderful. The sound stage depth is really something and detail, front to back, great. From highs to mid-range to bass, the mix is so very natural. I had the new 3000 drivers installed in an old set of Ohm 4 cabinets (absolutely love the older pyramid shape) and the larger cabinets allow the bass to get really low.

I really love these speakers and can't really imagine upgrading for a long, long time.

Similar Products Used:
-Ohm Walsh 2s
-Ohm Walsh 100 Mk-2s
-Ohm Walsh 200

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
This review covers the SW2.2000 upgrade kit for the Ohm 2. It included new sound boards and the S2000 Walsh drivers. The Walsh 2000 model replaces the 200MK-2 in Ohm's line up. I originally tried a set of Ohm Sound Cylinders and found them to be far superior to any loudspeaker I had heard without spending 10s of thousands of dollars.. They were a little small for my listening area however, so I went in search of a pair of Ohm 2 cabinets that I could upgrade with new drivers. I installed the new sound boards and drivers in less than 45 minutes. At first it seemed the new drivers did not image as well as the sound cylinders, but after a few weeks of listening they opened up and created the full sound stage and just about anywhere sweet spot I was accustomed to from Ohm Walshes. The 2000s are more than ample in filling by 18 x 28 x 8ft basement with up to and beyond comfortable listening volume for either music or theater. A bass guitar sound like a bass guitar and not a muddled background afterthought. Any stringed instrument is rich and full in sound down to the fingers being slid down an open string. The speakers deliver detail in recordings that most conventional speakers I had used over the years did not deliver. Dynamics are excellent and the speakers will not fatigue over extended listening periods.

Submitted by bmark3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
These speakers are amazing!
I have long enjoyed a vintage pair of Ohm F series speakers and when it came time to replace them I looked to Ohm Acoustics to provide me with something that wouldn't let me down.
Most modern speakers, to me, have many weaknesses. Some have 'holes' or are missing parts of the sound. Others, after listening for any length of time, seem to cause 'listener fatigue'. This is especially true of the recent popularity of over-priced/cheaply produced satellite type systems which rely heavily on muddy sounding low-frequency bass, have 'tinny' sounding highs and completely leave out the midrange.
Last year I purchased a pair of these Walsh series speakers and I was amazed. They sound rich, refreshing and full. The low-frequencies are clean and tight and its a smooth trip all the way up to the highs. The accuracy is excellent and they look sharp!
Purchasing is done directly with the factory and the service was very personal and prompt. I highly recommend these as an investment in good sound which is worth every penny.

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
These speakers are amazing!

Purchased At:   Ohmacoustics.com

Submitted by TWEAKSTER a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
Bought these speakers 4 years old from an audiophile equipment store in NY. They had bought them from a failed stereo store in PA that went bust. I had been searching for a used pair using a Google search. There were many earlier/older generation Walsh's for sale but not the newer Mk-200's. Then in a stoke of luck I found a store that had a used pair for sale. The NY store never bothered to unpack them so they didn't know what they had in terms of their sound. So I called NY and bought them sight-unseen-unheard because of the great reviews and because I've owned and loved a pair of Ohm model "L"s for almost 30 years. So anyway they were already broken in when I got them and I've been listening to them for 6 months now.

The first thing that struck me when I plugged these babies in was the awesome vocal capabilities the Mk-200's have! There is such a presence to the vocals--so effortless,natural, and dynamic. They sound like good electro-stats but with much better bass. They do pretty darn good with my Denon AVR-3805 Receiver in "pure direct mode" but they'd do even better with a good seperate amp and preamp like a McIntosh.

I use these speakers for both music and home theater in my 14'x 20' family room.
What I enjoy listening to most with these speakers is high quality jazz, vocal, blues, and classical CD's. These speakers will rock'n roll hard too but rockers will want something like a Klipsh speaker with punchy bass. The bass response can be described as full and appropriate without being punchy. The bass response compliments the music instead of overpowering it and can best be described as deep, powerful, smooth, balanced, and appropriately weighted. "Just right" comes to mind.

These speakers have a larger footprint as any larger tower speaker would but what is really neat is that the drivers sit on top of the cabinet unobstructed by furniture. I have larger over-stuffed furniture abutting the left speaker but the heighth and amazing dispersion of the drivers is stopped by nothing! Also, the sound staging is TALL. You can walk anywhere in the room and it's as if the music follows you. The music seems to be omni-present in the room. And this characteristic is awesome at all volume levels but really shines at lower to moderate volume levels. You don't have to crank the volume up to hear them in the adjacent rooms; the music just follows you while you're doing your house chores. And because you don't have to crank them up to hear them you can carry on a conversation with the speakers at fairly high volume levels. These described characteristics may seem trivial to some reading this review but these Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-II's never get on my nerves. They are such a livable speaker. Day-in and day-out I never tire of them. They're a pleasure, pleasure, pleasure, to live with. $2700 is alot of money to spend on a new pair of Ohms but I've breifly heard the $2500 Paradigm Studio 100's and the $6000 Paradigm Signiture 100's and feel my Ohms easily hold there own against these more popular speakers....and there's many things the Ohm's do better.

If you buy these new, buy them with confidence that you've made a very excellent choice. If you can find them used and pay half-price then you've hit the jack pot of excellent value.

These speakers will last 25 years before needing a refurb. and the Ohm Acoustics factory is great to deal with when/if the time comes.

Purchased At:   Audio Classics (used