Ohm Walsh 100-S3 Floorstanding Speakers

Full range speaker with Walsh driver for small to medium sized rooms

Submitted by frbock a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a review on a walsh 2 (circa 1983) upgraded with the 100-s3 driver. According to OHM, they are the same sonically.
I bought the Walsh 2s in 1983. Wife threw the checkbook at me and told me to come back with only 2 speakers (still married to her). Cost me $800 in 1983. I loved the Walshes, but, when I got a copy of JJ Cale To Tulsa and back, I knew I had a problem.
So, after some searching I found the Ohm website, and after some futzing on my part, Ohm released the series 3 drivers. Add another $800 for the new drivers.
A couple of evenings with a putty knife, a hacksaw, and hot melt glue gun, and my Walshes had been upgraded. 1st off, the amp likes the new setup better, it's a 6 ohm load instead of 4. Most modern amps just shut down on 4.
When you 1st turn them on... they suck, no other way to phrase it. They tell you they need a break in period, and they're right.

Now on to specifics, I have an old JBL demo LP, and I can easily rattle the room with 42hz Lowest mentioned tone on the LP, and even with my 55 year old ears, I can still easily hear the 16khz tone. Dog told me the 19khz was coming out just fine. In any reasonable size room, subwoofer is superfluous. Although, it does pull down the power requirements from your amp.

I'm currently playing Sting Brand New Day, and you can easily close your eyes and point to each instrument, and enjoy the clarity of the music and get yourself vibrated by the lows on the CD. I've also fed them Richter J.S. Bach Organ. Toccata and Fugue in D Minor is a blow your socks off event. Some speakers sound like you are just outside the front door of the church, some make you feel like you are standing in the antechamber near the organ. The Ohms make you feel like you are standing next to the organ. The only thing missing is the echos from the walls of the Cathedral.
For the rockers, sorry, Red Hot Chili peppers, and ZZ Top are about my limit, and the OHMS will sit there and put it in your face. At least at any volume I'm willing to listen to.
The only downside is they like power. I'm driving them with a vintage Yamaha a-32 amp (110W/channel RMS 8 ohms, 200w/channel 4 ohms, I send it out every couple of years to get it re-biased) and with 89db for 1w input, they are not the most efficient. Also means if you're trying for threshold of pain sound levels, these aren't the right speakers as they're only good for 150-200W.
Oh, btw, did re-play JJ Cale, and he sounds just fine now.
If these work as well, and last as long as the originals, I'm pretty much covered for life with great sound.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by fred a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a review on a walsh 2 upgraded with the 100-s3 driver. According to OHM, they are the same sonically.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by dsandula a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
* I first purchased Ohm's MicroTall's and traded up to these with their excellent 90 day home trial offer. I did so because the MicroTall's just didn't have the power I was looking for. The 100-S3's are a much better fit for my listening room, my need for louder music (no matter what genre) and I'm sure I'll own them for years.
* I listen to them with a HSU STF-1 which fills them out nicely. Although a subwoofer is not an absolute necessity with these speakers, the HSU does cover deep bass even the 100-S3's can't reproduce with ease, especially with home theatre.
* I assume . . . as with all Walsh designed OHM's, these speakers are not for the person who wants "in your ear" hard driving trebles and highly directed mid range sounds. Remember these are very much omni-directional driven speakers with a focused high range tweeter.
* They sound like music heard live, not like speakers. You can listen to them for hours and not get fatigued regardless of volume level.
* They are a treasure for anyone who loves their music.

Purchased At:   Ohm Direct