Ohm OMNI G3MK2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Submitted by Edward Feit a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
Clearly, every speaker differs as environments differ as do tastes, mine running exclusively to the classical. However, I cannot imagine a situation in which the G3MK2 would not sound good. My reason is that placement seems uncritical if you have the space. Fortunately, I have a dedicated listening room. These speakers do need space.

I tried the manufacturers suggested placement and the speakers sounded boomy and boxy. Then, using accepted practice, I moved the speakers one third of the length of the room and one-quarter from the sidewalls. So placed, the G3s gave a wonderful sense of presence, sound coming from a deep stage back of the speakers without loss of bass. The speakers gave a realistic sense of placement, you could tell where the performers were without the impression, given by so many 'pinpoint' speakers, that they were each playing in separate rooms.

However, these speakers do require a long break-in period. Don't judge them by their performance after a day or two or even a week or two. As the manufacturer offers a 120 day test period, you run no risk, and taking the time will find you well rewarded.

Above all else these are musical speakers. They sound rich, not the lean clinical sound offered by so many audiophile speakers. If you love music you'll love the MG3s. To my mind, at the price offered at the time, they represent oustanding value.

Purchased At:   Manufacturer

Submitted by Barry Browne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
When my F's died, I couldn't see spending $5000 to upgrade to Walsh 5's and am currently trying to find someone to repair them. In the meantime, I picked up a pair of Ohm G3s tuned to be used with an SB-2 subwoofer. Ohm sold me the G3s for $999 delivered and I picked up the SB2 on Ebay for $150. Well, after setting up the systemover Christmas, I was totally disappointed. The midrange was awful, the highs were too sharp, and the bass was a bit boomy. Even my fried F's sounded better. After reading reviews of other new Ohm speakers, I decided to give them some break in time. I cranked up the music and went away for a few hours over 2 weekends. What a difference!! The system is totally mellowing out. Even my wife is starting to like them now. They may never sound as good as my old F's did, but they're getting better every day. Now I know why Ohm gives you a 120 day trial period, you need it in order to give the speakers a chance to perform. I was originally going to return them but you'd have to pry them away from me now. I can't wait to get my HT room built and check them out with movies.