Norman Laboratories 62P Loudspeaker Floorstanding Speakers

4.77/5 (13 Reviews)

Two way speaker with a 6.5" woofer and a 1" dome tweeter

Submitted by GoldenBear50 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
Purchased Norman Lab 10's in 1976 to replace a set of Bose 501's. Have used them ever since with great satisfaction. Been thinking of replacing them with a matched set for Home Theatre. Would desire better surrounds and center speaker. Any suggestions?

Purchased At:   Waco, Texas

Submitted by scgypsy9 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
I worked at Norman Laboratories in Norman, OK in 1978-1979 building prototypes for future models. I built the set of Model 8's that I have myself. They are not much different than the ones that were for sale, but I did take a little more care in the cabinetry and assembly of these speakers. The woofers came from belgium and we tweeked them with a ferrite solution to improve them.

Purchased At:   Factory

Submitted by KET66 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have owned a pair of Norman Laboraties model Tens since about 1977. Stunning speakers when coupled with the Norman Labs equalizer. I've never needed to even consider a subwoofer or new speakers as I updated everything else I owned. I recently found a pair of model Nines on ebay and bought them. This was their flagship speaker. I couldn't afford these back in '77. (about $850.00 each then) But I have never heard better speakers. Just a fantastic, powerfully smooth sound. And I am tickled to finally own a pair. Once again, the Norman EQ makes a huge difference. My Yamaha EQ didn't have near the positive effect.
Norman Laboratories built speakers in Norman, OK from the mid '70s throughout the '80s. Other posts have said they went out of business in '95. Could be. I just know that these are collector's items. There isn't a new speaker anywhere that I have heard that can touch them. My opinion, of course.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Todd A Walls a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
(That was the price per pair.)

These Norman Laboratories Model 7's have a 12" woofer and a pair of surface-blocked tweeters as others have mentioned. The cabinet is HDF, high density fiberboard, with a full fiber fill of some kind. It has a low-high brightness toggle on the back, which I switch depending on the acoustics of the current room and my typical listening area.

These speakers don't have a sharp edge anywhere, sonically speaking. I would call it a "sweet" sound, though I tend to crank up the treble to bring it out more.

I purchased them around 1978, brand new, with a pile of dough from my $2 an hour job (and a little help from my dad). I was only 14, but knew good sound when I heard it.

My dad always had these Universal 3C speakers when I was growing up, which are tough as nails and harder than a rock--the opposite of the Norman sound.

The Universals were In-your-face in an instant, while the Model 7's spread slowly through you like a warm shot of brandy on a cold winter day. Go figure, I guess I was rebelling in some subtle way.

Norman Labs have a distinctive sound, like all great classic speakers, and I am sorry to hear that no more will ever be made.

For those of you with experience with other model Labs, the main difference in the Model 7 sound in comparison with those is a deeper bass response. I don't have any testing equipment, but I bought the 7's overtly to compensate for years of listening to a cheapo no-bass Lloyd record-changer. I wanted to FEEL the music. Many of my neighbors have felt it, too, over the last quarter-century--to their dismay. :)

...and this is a bookshelf speaker.

I have personally witnessed the windows rattling on my neighbors house when playing "Children of the Sun" a half-acre away.

Don't bother to e-mail me asking to buy them. I ain't selling, no way, no how. I'm too sentimental for these babies.

To sum up the Norman Lab experience:
I tend to close my eyes when listening to them. It feels like floating.

I highly recommend you look for pair for yourself from some poor lost soul who doesn't know what they have. Buy a slice of audio history. You won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Audio Warehouse

Submitted by Campagnolo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of Model 8 that have been in my family since the early 80's. They are fantastic. The sound is fantastic. The cabinet is very well built. We have played these for thousands of hours and still love them. If you can find some, buy them.