NHT VT-2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.76/5 (67 Reviews) MSRP : $1750.00

Vented 10in woofer, 2 5.25 mids, 1in tweeter

Submitted by Doug De Young a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have many NHT speakers, Super ones, Classic Fours, Super Two, 2.5i & VT-1a, as well as several center channels. Other speakers I own are Infinity Quantum 3 & 5, AR3a, B&W DM7MK2.

I picked up these NHT VT-2 Speakers on Craigslist for 300$ in good condition. I was put off by their large size at first, they are easily bigger than the Classic Fours despite having the same size sub driver (10"). I checked to make sure all the driver produced sound and that none of the coils were rubbing on the mids and woofers before buying them and taking them home. Wile getting them home I noticed that something was knocking around in one of the cabinets so before I listened to them I disassembled them (I repair speakers as a hobby so this is normal even for non rattling speakers sometimes). After getting them apart I found that the glue that held the ports for the sub in place had become dry and separated in both cabinets allowing the port tube to fall into the cabinet in one of them, and become loose on the other. This was a very easy repair and I considered myself lucky that a used speaker of the is age had a problem this minor. The Drivers and components in these speakers were very average in appearance (unimpressive). Normal stamped steel baskets and ferrite magnets of normal size. The mid drivers are shielded. The hi freq driver is the ubiquitous Super Series 1" Dome. The crossovers used a combination of air and iron core inductors and electrolytic caps. I repaired the port tubes and reassembled them.

This is when the magic happened, and the reason for my 5 Star review. When I hooked them up to my equipment and began playing music through them I was presented with as sound I will try to describe for you in words(if that's possible). Detailed yet smooth. Neutral & musical. The low end was subtle yet present with no "boomy ported speaker" qualities. I could instantly tell that these speakers imaged (placed sounds in a 3D space) as well as any but the most high end speakers I have had the pleasure of hearing. In spite of having a some what high crossover point on a side firing 10" driver, the low mids were tight and natural (I test this illusive quality with Jaco Pastorius). These speakers will play loud. I don't normally listen at high levels but these speakers made me want to. With my equipment they are not harsh at all but the highest volume levels. The low range extension is quite good and they come across as true full rangers. They don't need a sub.

I realized at this point I had a speaker that was worth some time and work. I pulled them apart a second time and had a closer look at the crossovers. There is a lot going on here because the mid and high freq drivers have two modes selectable by a switch on the front of the speakers Audio mode (lower crossover points and higher order slopes) and Video mode (higher crossover points with lower order slopes). The manual says the image is smeared in video mode to allow the move screen to be used to pinpoint sound location instead of audio. I concurred that in video mode the magical imaging did indeed vanish. My primary interest is music so I replaced only the components in the audio circuit. I used Mills resistors and 1% poly caps throughout(exceptions are the high value caps in the sub circuit where I used electrolytic and a high value cap in the mid circuit where a 5% poly was used) and then reassembled.

I have had these speakers in my main system for over a year now and love them. This is a speaker where the the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I still don't know why these speakers sound so good, but they just do. With all kinds of music they continue to be neutral and faithful to the marital wile at the same time having a sound their own.

I will say these benefit from bi-amping and that is how I run them. At low levels the bass can be a bit low in the mix and bi-amping helps tune this to room and preference.

I enjoyed these so much I contacted NHT and asked them about the speakers. Their response is quoted below.

From the NHT FaceBook page-----> "The dual midrange drivers were used because we wanted the speakers to be able to deal with explosions and loud movie soundtracks information with low-low distortion. A common large molded faceplate was designed to hold the dual 5.25" mids and 1" tweeter (same tweeter as SuperZero, SuperOne, Model 2.1) as close as possible (in the midrange cleavage) to be a point source as possible. This allowed us to get the tweeter about 1/2" closer. We use the spike kit from the 2.5.

A good story about the VT-2 was when we introduced it at CES we set up a home theater vignette in the Saraha bi-level complex in one of the rooms and borrowed a Pioneer Elite big screen to put between it . We brought in a nice coffee table, couch, etc to make it homey. I think we used some nice electronics from Acurus. When we fired it up it sounded like crap. We check phase, calibrated the system, moved the speaker, on and on and couldn't get it to sound good. The engineers pulled out the crossovers, etc and we were getting close to show time and it still sounded bad. Finally Ken Kantor suggested we remove the coffee table and whammo - the system killed as we expected it would. The problem was reflections from the coffee table both directly from the speaker and from the room ceiling was smearing the speakers response and image something terrible. We ended up putting the table back and covering it with a bunch of magazines haphazardly spread on it top to randomize the reflection. We sold several thousand models of the VT-2 and they almost never fail... Most are probably still in service..."

Submitted by mikejz84 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
I managed to strike the motherload with a local classified ad awhile ago. i got a pair of nht 2.5is, a pair of vt-2s, a yamaha receiver, and an nht center for $450--(an the invoice so no they did not fall off the truck ;) i listened to the vt-2s and the 2.5is, however right now i am away at college and the poor dorm room properties led it near impossible for me to decide which was better. however, i had the choice made for me when i was offered a trade of a sony crt projector for my 2.5is--so the vt-2s it was! (p.s. yes i know i am crazy to have a pair of nht vt-2 tower speakers and a crt projector in a dorm room) it is hard to use words to describe these speakers, i have listened to many systems and $5k+ speakers. however there is something about the vocals of these speakers; they appear literal. putting on the beatles let it be “the long and winding road” is simply jaw dropping in it the imaging. the soundstage is defined, however i feel that it is not as wide as the polk rta 11ts i had before (thought these sound much better then the polks) during the end of american pie, i have experienced the soundstage extend so much past the right and left channels that it makes your hair stand on end, however i did not experience it with the nhts. overall however if anything one word can describe the vt-2: detail. caveat: to enjoy these speakers you must bi-amp!!! if you do not bi amp them you are wasting your money. the crossover is only 100hz, so the bass does not need a great amp to do the job, but it does need a separate amp. i use an old pioneer integrated amp to do the job, and it works very well. bass: bass is very nice when bi-amping, however it is not lfe quality bass. despite nhts claim that bi-amping the speakers will allow it to serve as a powered sub, it still does not do justice to lfe in movies. this is somewhat strange, as it is dual 10” ported subs—it should be able to do it, but i still prefer my sub for movies. also the side firing sub and rear porting make placement a big deal with these speakers, it is especially hard with the fact that these speakers are almost 5 feet tall and 80 pounds each. putting them near the wall results in a very noticeable bass distortion. nht recommends using the floor spikes to improve bass performance, however i do not have them—i will update this review when i can find a pair and see if it helps with bass.

Purchased At:   Classifieds

Submitted by markmac123 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Absolutely the truest sound (to me) I have heard.

The vt-2's are used purely for audio and the speakers are connected to a Rotel. One of the best "affordable" systems I have heard.

Don't ruin it with subwoofer unless you want to break the windows.

Submitted by wigmon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've been listening to these for several years now, and decided to finally write a review. Actually what has prompted me to write this review is that I have just recently bi-amped these with the NHT SA-2 amp. I've always been happy with the quality of the sound from these, and they match very well with the VS-2a which I use for front and surrounds, but if there was one area for complaint, it was that I needed to increase the volume significantly to get much bass response. Not that the bass wasn't good at lower levels, it just didn't match what I got when I had a powered sub. I figured that this was probably due to the power in my receiver. Its not a lightweight by receiver standards (yamaha avr-2095, 100wpc), but everything I've heard from people that reviewed these speakers said that 100 watts was a minimum requirement.

I was considering either upgrading my receiver, buying a seperate 5-channel amp, or bi-amping the woofers with a 2-channel amp. I chose the latter, and I can say I'm quite pleased. With the SA-2 I have more control over the bass output (crossover, phase switch, volume comtrol) and has freed up my receiver to only work on the upper and mid-range drivers. The bass output is now whatever I want it to be, and the middle and upper frequencies sound much more detailed as well. I would recommend this upgrade to anyone that owns the VT-2's or other NHT tower speakers. I chose the SA-2 after debating whether to get it or the SA-3 (120 Watts vs. 250), and chose the SA-2 due to the size of my living room (19X18) and the fact that I got a good deal on the SA-2.

I'd always been happy with the look and sound of these speakers, but now I'm going back through my cd and dvd collection to hear what I've been missing. If you are not already bi-amping these, or don't have at least 150 watts (real watts, meaning low distortion through the entire frequency range) driving them, then I would suggest trying the SA-2/SA-3 amp, especially if you use these for watching movies, and don't have a powered sub.

Gave it 5 stars on the ratings, 'cause if there was something better for the price, I would have bought it.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Blair a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
After looking and listening to a lot of other, similar tower speakers, these have won my ear. Part time I assist in producing live concerts and doing sound checks, so i consider my ears to be well tuned. The VT-2's are capable of putting out superb raw sound at all volume levels. They are not suited for everybody. They will NOT produce a warm or "smooth" sound; rather, they will emit true and accurate sound reproduction. I feel that the sound quality you get is comparable to towers that are 2-3 times the price. The 10" sub is ported for good low frequency response and delivers more punch and rumble than you would expect. The enclosure is also magnetically sealed to prevent tube television distortion. They are finished beautifully but do not take well to "duct tape" as well as Sony's do.

Purchased At:   Dynamic Audio