NHT VT 1.4 Floorstanding Speakers

4.69/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

System Type: 4-way + 2-way acoustic suspension, Frequency Response: 21 Hz-26 kHz Sensitivity: 87 dB @ 2.83 V/M Impedance: 6 ohms

Submitted by Rick Beyer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
All I can say is I love these speakers. Yes, they are my first pair of really good speakers. No, I haven't compared them side by side with more expensive high end speakers. But, I think they sound great.

In general I would say that these are bright speakers. I am driving them with a Marantz PM7000 integrated, which is said to be a "warmer" sounding amp. That's probably a good combination. What I get in the end is a very clear, detailed sound. The highs and mids are sweet, not too harsh, and very clear. The bass is impressive given that it's just an 8" woofer. It does get to be a little boomy at times. Imaging is good - so good in fact that I still get spooked by it periodically.

I bought these for the combination of audiophile-quality performance combined with the Home Theater ambiance when you throw the switch. To tell the truth, however, I've never bothered hooking them up with my home theater. Not worth the effort. These are too beautiful where they stand.

System:
12 gauge speaker cable

Purchased At:   YAWA

Submitted by Savagelogic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
After listening to these in my home for a week and a half I can absolutely classify them as being on the bright side. In the show room they sounded just fine, but after hearing them for 2-4 hour listening sessions of both CD and DVD I had enough. I've heard brighter speakers before, but they were just too much for me. If you like this type of sound though, they are detailed and dynamic. Also, if you're putting these near a corner they probably won't work for you. The side firing woofer made the bass too boomy in my small room. The bipolar switch did enhance watching DVDs, but not enough for me to tell anyone to buy them for that feature.

For the MSRP of $1200 I would not call these a good value, but for somewhere around half price they seem like an excellent buy... if you the bright, sharp sound appeals to you.

NOTE: my ratings are based on MSRP

Purchased At:   YAWA

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
have sampled several speaker systems and for my application, these vt1.4's just can't be beat! needs power to produce...
in my opinion you can't have too much for these speakers! you also need quality components to get that perfect sound.

Purchased At:   6th ave electronics

Submitted by scottnkat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a really nice speaker The combination of the VT-1.4 with the VS-1.4 for the center and surrounds is really quite exceptional for Home Theater. I compared this to other systems costing up to $2500 from Polk, Klipsh, Bose, and Infinity, and these were by far the best. I've been hearing things in my recordings now that I never knew were there.

Purchased At:   6th Ave

Submitted by Eric Jones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am just picking up this expensive hobby. I audited the NHT vt2.4 and loved it and purchased it. Now I am trying to buy a pair of surround speakers for my vt2.4s. Would NHT vt1.4 be a good choice for that? I am using Denon 3802 as the receiver. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Purchased At:   6 Ave Electronics