NHT VT-1.2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.58/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

3-way, vented tower. 8" long-throw woofer, two 4.5" midranges, and 1" fluid-cooled soft domed tweeter. Sensitivity: 86dB, Impedance: 8 ohms

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Since I bought these about one year ago I have absolutly nothing but good things to say about the quality of NHT products. I have an Onkyo 777 and a sony Dvd player with a super one for my center and parasound for my rears and my sub is an NHT superone. I love this set up. My old dennons were tops but just to large for my room. This is what prompted me to look into these speakers. They look outstanding and sound just as good. A+ from this kid!

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Asim Zaidi a

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for an audiophile speaker with great sound, value and looks, I think we have a winner the NHT 1.2s. These speakers really define the term "bang for your buck"!!! The more the power the sweeter they sing!

The NHT 1.4s are the latest model in this series

Submitted by AJ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers are great and well worth the money! Although I always wish I could buy the best, with my budget these work perfectly. Great Highs, Adequate lows(although i dont care b/c of my sub), and great mids. I would recommend these speakers to anyone. Only thing I dont like, but dont care for right now is the poor resale value(checked Ebay) of these as opposed to other NHT speakers like the Super series. I guess too many people just do not know about these speakers...but they rock!!!!!

Purchased At:   Uncles Stereo

Submitted by Michael W a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
NHT is my favourite brand of speaker without a doubt. I love their original speaker designs, and I am a great admirer of the company's philosophy. NHT's goal is to produce speakers that deliver top drawer audiophile sound for affordable prices. And the VT 1.2 speakers do just that. I mainly listen to movies in AC3/DTS and the VT1.2s deliver a great soundstage with crystal clear midrange and highs without coloration. I lived with these speakers without a subby for over a year (due to budget), but they can definately deliver tight, fast and smooth bass down to around 33Hz. I use the VS 1.2a centre speaker and superzeroes as rears and together they produce a seamless soundstage - all these 5 speakers use the same 4" midrange drivers and tweeters. I added a Velodyne CT150 15" subby and it delivers where these VT1.2's do not pretend to go.
I recommend bi-amping the VT1.2s if you do not own a sub, this way you can adjust the bass level relative to the main speaker volume, and also it will take the load off your mai amp. If you buy the VT1.2s and the VS1.2a center speaker, stand the VS1.2a upright, it will tighten up the bass and improve the off axis response around your room (even though it may not look so good standing up this way). The slimline design has 2 advantages - 1) these are very pretty speakers, and they do not take up your floorspace as they are slim at the front but quite deep, 2) the thin baffle allows the speaker to easily disappear into the soundstage.
I cannot think of any other speaker in this price range that offers as much value for money as the NHT VT1.2 can.
If I had a bigger budget, I would probably have bought the VT2s, but for half the price you get 75% of the performance.

Submitted by John Dooley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
Having been impressed with NHT SubTwo (see review) to match with some Martin Logan SL-3's, Logos, and Scripts in my front room, I wanted to check out NHT other speakers to maybe Zone 2 from a Theta Casa Nova D/A surround sound pre-amp into my bedroom with maybe a small 50 watt tubed amp (or something like that). I heard that the NHT 2.9 were a good value, but the lower woofers play towards each other and this would not fix in my bedroom, where I want to place 2 speakers up against a wall and in between a dresser. Therefore I needed the lower woofers to face away from each other and the NHT VT 1.2 matched my plans. They sounded rather sweet and semi-balance, maybe lacking clarity in the mid-range. The NHT VT 1.2 sounded a lot beter having a paper tweeter than the NHT's Super Ones/Twos which lack a large woofer and had a metal tweeter that SCREAMED at me. Another issue was that NHT newer model, the NHT VT 1.4 had a rear firing tweeter and woofer that I would never use, because I would be placing the speakers against the back wall due to the lack of space in my bedroom. The NHT VT 1.2 sound nothing like my Martin Logan's, but that's being un-fair, for these are not top class speakers, but a good value per sound speaker. I am thinking of checking out the NHT VT 2 which are a little larger and have a greater Hz range (25hz-21Khz) but I am not sure if a 50 watt tubed amp could ran them. I am rather impressed with the NHT VT 1.2 value ratio, but I want something a little better.