NHT SuperTwo Floorstanding Speakers

4.58/5 (83 Reviews) MSRP : $750.00

Submitted by universalpete a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
The following is for the speakers in their stock configuration:

Glorious High's, wonderful reproduction of women's voices, acoustic guitars and pianos. Treble instruments presented with wonderful soundstage and "air" around the instruments.

The bass is incoherent. Bass instruments sound flat, dull, and characterless. Certain mid-bass notes just seem to disappear. Very disappointing to listen to.

I tried several things to handle the bass deficiencies: room treatments, interconnects, cables, different amps, different rooms.

So bad was the bass stopped listening to Dark Side. I put the speakers in the closet for several years.

The solution to the bass: I modified the crossovers to make a 2-way system out of the mid-woofer and tweeter, and ran the subwoofers on a separate amp. I set the crossover point at 80hz, instead of the stock 120hz.

After this mod, the highs are even cleaner than before, and the bass deficiencies have been fixed. Bass instruments have individual character again, and the system can handle complicated bass material. Listening to organ music feels like there's a rush of air now. I love Dark Side again!

I believe that the crossover point of 120hz interacted poorly with the ports, and was complicated by phase shift.

Literally one day after modifying the speakers, I found this article: http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm RECOMMENDED READING!!!

Purchased At:   Audio Perfection

Submitted by gammatron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
I just checked back to hear what others have been saying...I have had these great speakers for 3 years now...and I love them...The only negative thing I can say about them is that they are power hungry...at 87db/1m Sensitivity...they will gobble power...that is why I purchased the Sony 9000 ES Amp...it can be bridged into two channel for Audio...or used in 5 channel mode. I also purchased the Monster Power Center which I also recommend...as it add a great deal of clarity/control to the high end of the frequency. All else equal...I have never had any distortion problems at high volume levels with the speakers...only thing I would consider upgrading is the amp again... I'm at 100 w/ch x5 or 200w/2. Two Channel is great...but 5 channel lacks a bit. If I had 200 all around I'd be happy as a pig in @#$%...you get the picture. Sound is great!! Highs are clear...revealing...and offer a great imaging quality. Combined with a good tight sub...and crossed-over at 60hz...nothing better for the price!

Submitted by profrancis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
My NHT supertwo's tweeter which is a soft dome can compete with my paradigm studio 100's alumunim tweeter. I wonder how can a budget NHT speaker can compete with the studio 100. Is it because of the material? The sound of my NHT supertwo's are just awesome crisp and accurate. In the showroom, the supertwo's tweeter even sounded better than their higher series model which has aluminum tweeter, ie...NHT 2.5i hmmm....... I think the supertwo speakers can compete with speakers in the $2000 range.

Submitted by teh_z a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was for a Vandersteen 1C to show up on Ebay. I was also considering a Magnepan MMG. However, the NHT's have many of the strengths of the other two and other qualities the others didn't. The Vandy's are among the greatest bargains in audio. However, for my musical taste (mostly electronic, experimental, 20th century composers, and classic rock), they were also a bit laid-back with the highs slightly rolled off. The MMG's lacked bass and require a larger room than mine. The NHT has a smaller footprint and simply looks better. I also owned the SuperOne's as my nearfield monitor speakers for my bedroom music studio, and was VERY happy with them, so I knew I'd like the SuperTwo's.

I don't have a home theater system, and needed speakers only for music. I have the following equipment in my system:

- AMP: Audiosource Amp Two
- CD PLAYER: Cambridge Audio D-500SE
- INTERCONNECTS: home-made pure silver cables
- SPEAKER WIRE: home-made pure silver cables

I have a very basic, budget system, with minimal wiring, but the sound beats systems costing MUCH more. The speakers had already been broken in. The sound: transparent, airy, detailed, non-fatiguing, and with well articulated bass. Like another reviewer, I did find a slight dip in the midbass range. This is most likely due to the fact that the subwoofer fires downward and crosses over at 120 Hz. Bass around the upper limits of the subwoofer becomes more directional so that may be the reason. However, it's not such a bad thing as many speakers tend to be boomy in this region. For the size of these speakers, the bass is amazing. It's not muddy. It's tight and clear. Many reviewers here think these are weak on the bass. Either they are used much larger, high quality speakers or they are used to the bloated sound of speakers like Polk. The strongest point of these speakers is the midrange which is also my main priority. Voices sound extremely natural. One reviewer was dissappointed that these have paper cone midbass drivers, but some of the best drivers are still made of paper. I find high quality paper drivers to sound more natural than other materials. I have heard better treble on much more expensive systems, but these still really excel here too. It's very detailed,but non-fatiguing. Soundstage is very wide and imaging is very good, but not as good as the SuperOne's.

Purchased At:   Bought it used

Submitted by sriedesel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers, they have served me well for almost 2 years and are now in a modest dedicated listening room. The previous 3 reviewers have cheapened this post ("out2sea" must be "out2lunch" as he is not reviewing the SuperTwo at all???,"jon cottonwood" thinks they woof it up; I bet NHT will recruit him as a spokesperson, and "cruz" thinks they lack bass??? Cruz these extend down to 37 hz, what might you expect from a single 8inch driver? And they are not mean't to reproduce motion picture bass, most folks in America use subwoofers for this purpose. My point is not to belittle these guys, but alot of potential buyers use the post as a research tool. Double posting, reviews of other products, and down right dubious claims kind of cloud the purpose for this awesome website. Nht builds great speakers, these were discounted for around $500 due to the introduction of new models. The SuperTwo's are some of the best speaker values available (please email me if anyone can find anything better at this price). Seach Google.com and find the rave professional reviews for yourself. As other posts indicate this speaker is revealing, the sound stage is good, and imaging is fine.

My modest system: