NHT 2.9

Submitted by ron 555 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
Simply one of the best speaker I've heard so far. Mine are paired with a Classe audio Ca-200 and they are close to Niverna when properly positionned. As mentionned by other reviewers they maybe power hungry but with good gears you won't be dissapointed. Also have a pair of NHT 3.3 but if you do not have a large room the 2.9 might sound even better.

Submitted by Blobb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
Summary:
I´ve had these for a year now, and all I can say is WOW!! I´ve had many speakers more expensive than these, but these are outstanding. Dynamic and powerful and with an incdredible clarity. They need a powerful amp, but thats how it works, great speakers needs juice.

Strengths:
EVERYTHING!! This speaker is just amazing.

Weaknesses:
Needs quality amp/cd.

Similar Products Used:
Krell, Nad, Sony, KEF.

Submitted by Hil a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was originally shopping for a smaller speaker like NHT 1.5 which around my budget but saw the 2.9 and though I demo this for the heck.
Well, I end up increasing my budget and was glad that I bought these speakers.
The 2.9 sounded very detailed which made Diana Krall CD sounded more lively compared to my old speakers.
Will not get any other speakers. Another speaker that I demoed is Dynaudio which produces somewhat better musical balance reproduction than NHT, but NHT does not cost $18,000 on sale which made NHT 2.9 an easy choice. Just make sure you have good clean amp with plenty of juice, good interconnect and correct placement of speakers and you will have a speaker that sounded like the other higher price brands for fraction of the cost.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by cubemaster a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an update/revision of a previous review. Because of my changes with my cd player and amplifier, I have now fell in love with these speakers. They are bar none, the best speakers I have auditioned or owned under 8K. I am now using a 54lb Sony ES F-808ES Integrated Amplifier (100wpc) and a ton of current. For my cd player I have a Sony ES X707 ES (champaign finish/rosewood sides), incredibly musical and non-fatiging combo. Nordost Flatline gold bi-wire. Plus 6 plug in the wall power line filters, with a hospital grade, isolated ground outlet. Yes, all of this makes a difference. A night and day one at that. That said, my room has also improved. I now have nothing between the speakers (very essential), 26" from the back wall, 24" from each side wall, the speakers are 8 feet apart, and I sit 12 feet away. A near perfect setup. I have the NHT's each sitting on 2 18" concrete plinths (1" thick each), with real spikes(not that crap from the factory). My Sony ES cd player and Sony ES Integrated amplifier are sitting on 2 16x16 ceremic plates and 3 18" concrete plinths each. (all of this thanks to the "Home Depot". Please dont waist your money on these so called audiophile stands that cost hundreds. I spent $45 total at "Home Depot" for all isolation needs. Once all of this was setup, I performed the ultimate test for dynamics "ENYA" CD. Needless to say, I was more impressed hearing this cd than any system I have ever heard. These speakers need a lot of space, care to detail's on positioning, amplification, power conditioners, isolation ects. For serious listening I would recommed that the grills be left off. And for late night listening try replacing your regular bulbs with those orange flicker lights. An incredible effect with my pair of sycamore finish NHT 2.9's. I could go on about all of the strenghts, but that would take hours. All I have to say is "Peace" and thankyou NHT for making speakers that compete with the best out there.

Purchased At:   university audio

Submitted by Mixter_T a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I wasn't going to post a review but after reading almost every one of the reviews for the NHT 2.9s I felt compelled. While overall the reviews are flattering I have noticed some comments that I wanted to express my opinion about.
First of All I will say that I own a pair of 2.9s and am completely in Love with them. I will not be in the market for new speakers any time soon, if ever, (Unless I win the lottery and can suddenly afford some Pipedreams).
My gripe with some of the reviews is regarding the comments that the 2.9s are a bit bright and/or lacking in bass.
I do not find this to be the case.
What I do believe these people are experiencing is issues with source components and cables.
The NHT 2.9s are so accurate and truthfull for a speaker of such meager cost in the world of Hi End audio components that even the interconnects you use affect the sound.
With the right amplification the 2.9s have extremely good bass and are more than adequate for even home theater;(I had a sunfire sub in my system and took it out because it wasn't needed),(My amp is a Parasound HCA3500 @ 350 watts per channel). If you are going to use only one amp you need to bi-wire the 2.9s and you need more power than most receivers will deliver.
On the subject of their brightness; the source components and speaker/interconnect cables have alot to do with whether or not they sound bright. The most important thing, in my opinion, is to have source components with very high quality D/A converters. These speakers need very high quality components driving them in order for them to reach their potential; They are if anything unforgiving and too revealing, if that's possible.
I've listened to alot of speakers through the years and have owned several different brands; I do studio recording and live sound engineering from time to time. I think the 2.9's are a steal for the money. No speaker is perfect, and many speakers are better suited for entry-level systems than these, but for high quality playback systems you'd be hard pressed to own a better set of speakers than NHT's 2.9s.

Purchased At:   One Call