MTX Audio AAL2230

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2014

Bottom Line:
I agree with everyone who posted a review on these! Awesome sound for what these speakers are. Yes they DO rock the house nicely! So here's the cool part of my story. I was sitting' at home one day about 3 years ago, when my girlfriend calls me and says that I "have to come and check out these speakers". I said "where you at"? She said "I'm at Goodwill." "O.K., I'll be right over." She says: "NOW"! So I jet over there and see this pair of towers sitting there, with her at the guard. I said "nice", and proceeded to pull a grill loose. Hmmm . . . MTX AAL 2230. "What do they want for 'em"? I ask. She says "$7 each." Need I say more?

So, $14 later I'm running them as my front L & R, driven by my Sony STR-D1015 receiver. Infinity SM-122's on the rear channels, and an Infinity Alpha in the front center. Great setup for home theatre, and excellent for rock 'n roll in the stereo mode. (Note: try Pink Floyd "Welcome To The Machine" @ about 2:00 o'clock on the dial!)

Fast forward to spring 2014. I start building a pro-audio rack system with all Behringer components. An UltraFex Pro EX3200 Sound Enhancer, followed by an UltraGraph PRO FBQ 1502 Equalizer w/feedback detection, then into an iNUKE NU1000 Power Amp! That's right folks - 1000 watts. 2 x 500 @ 2 ohm, 2 x 300 @ 4 ohm, or 2 x 150 @ 8 ohm.

So, now we have the 300 watts per channel to drive these monsters. Holy Crap! Mine and everyone else's jaws dropped to the floor! That moment was AWESOME. (Pink Floyd, "Welcome To The Machine") That test drive @ 0dB was VERY memorable to say the least. Beside myself and small group of family and friends, I believe my neighbors were equally impressed. In spite of closing all the doors and windows before embarking on this journey, Johnny Law showed up within 20 minutes or so, and told me that they had received NUMEROUS phone calls.

I now make sure that the time of day is appropriate, and I only "crank" @ 0dB for short periods of time. I've been hammering these MTX speakers for about 6 months now, with no appreciable loss of sound quality. These are my house speakers of choice.

If anyone has some of these MTX's for sale, please, please contact me!

Jason, there is your answer!

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
These speakers are insane! The only reason I gave them a 4 instead of 5 for overall is due to their insatiable appetite for power. Who can provide 600 watts to these monsters? I was told, on good authority, that MTX decided one day to throw 2 car audio 12" woofers in a huge box with a mid and horn and sell them as home audio, which would explain their ridiculous power consumption. That being said, I am powering mine with a Harmon Kardon AVR-635 ("75" watts per channel, msrp $1300) and these beasts will make pictures go crooked! The water in a glass 15ft away looks like an ocean it vibrates so much.

If you are fortunate enough to find these for a fair price I highly reccommend buying them! If you are selling yours...feel free to contact me. I can't even imagine what 4 of these would do!!

Submitted by Cooper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have aal 2230 mtx speakers for sale, excellent condition.

Submitted by diamonddelts a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
I purchase a pair of these speakers on craigslist last year. And let me tell you these speakers pound the bass! They have more output than any other mtx or cerwin vega speakers I've ever heard and that includes all their bigger models with 15" woofers. I had a pair of DCM -KX212's which these put to shame in terms of sheer output at much lower power levels. If I turn these up to half power they will shake my entire apartment VIOLENTLY. The sound pressure levels these speakers can create is awe inspiring. I am currently powering them with a 150 watts per channel onkyo TX-NR 1000 receiver. I also can biamp two channels and run them at 300 watts and these things will shake everything at 20% power.

They are truly beasts and the best stereo speakers I've ever heard in terms of sheer brute force and output. They are also built like tanks and should last for years without any problems. However their is some audible distortion at higher listening levels. And the bass could be somewhat tighter and deeper. These only go down to 38hz. But once again their output is outmatched. I also owned a pair of MTX AAL-212B which were the newer 8ohm model of these speakers and they did not compare at all. They had no where near the output these speakers produced.

Submitted by BarAce1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was lucky to find these speakers. I have had them for ten years with no problems. They have been hooked to a Technics SA-GX650 Home Theater receiver the whole time. They sound as good as the day I bought them. I love it loud and my neighbors love these speakers. They sound great. If anyone has a pair to sell, I'm at SOgle@cfl.rr.com.

Purchased At:   LaSalle Electronics