Mordaunt-Short MS-908 Floorstanding Speakers

4.69/5 (26 Reviews)

Flagship of the 900 range, the Mordaunt-Short 908 is a 3-way floorstanding loudspeaker that combines the astonishing mid-band resolution and treble claritty of the smaller 900 models with the power, authority and awesome drive only obtainable from a dedicated sub-woofer. These substantially proportioned, cricitally damped dual-enclosures have a complement of high frequency, mid-range and bass units that are equally capable of communicating the finesse and subtleties of recorded music as the thundering bass and sound track effects of home theater material.

Submitted by Androcles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
Enough has been said by many reviewers before me so I won't say too much about the heavy duty, fast and tight bass (think earthquake with stabilisers), the sizzling upper frequencies (an aural scythe) and the well controlled mid range (grand piano and choral works all crystal clear without a hint of discomfort).

Much as I find these speakers utterly addictive, I’m actually changing them for some smaller speakers because my house/available room is too small to do these things justice. You really need a lot of space for these because much of the bass sound waves they create cannot become fully formed within a small room.

Assuming they are spaced approx 2-3 metres apart, they ideally require an additional 2 metres space from their respective walls to allow for the full and effective performance of the bass units. And I would advise a minimum listening distance of approx 4 metres. Anything less and I reckon you’re not getting the best sonic value for your money.

Overall these are truly titanic speakers (which of course benefit from bi wiring via strong amplification, in my case a TAG McLaren 60iRV). I’ve no experience of ultra expensive very high end speakers but if these MS908s are what you get for £200 secondhand on eBay, then the expensive stuff really needs to perform miracles to justify the greater expenditure.

If you’ve got a big domestic space to fill, I’d recommend some good quality clean powerful bi wireable amplification and you’ll enjoy the sounds these fantastically priced floor standers produce without any sense of fatigue for many years to come.

Submitted by RorySwann a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers as an upgrade for the fronts on my home cinema setup and i must say...what a difference!!! These are amazingly pure sounding speakers. I have them hoocked up to a Yamaha HTR-5640RDS amp. This amp just really doesnt do these speakers justice. They still sound really great, but you really need to hook them up to a normal sterio amp, so i tried them with my Cambridge Audio A5i and...wow....never heard anything like it. The treble is just so pure and clean but didnt sound at all harsh on your ears. The mid range is fabulous, everything is there, you just dont miss a thing, its very warm sounding and now we get to the best bit, the bass! These speakers have such a tight, deep base that only a skilled speaker manufacturer could produce, without making them sound at all "boomy". I was very lucky with these, i managed to get hold of the last pair going in circulation with Richer Sounds, and got them quite cheap. If you see a pair of these, BUY THEM!!

Submitted by riddlerjb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
These speakers are fantstic go buy them now! Set them up with Cambirdge Audio P500 / C500 pre and power amp set up and Mordaunt Short Silver Maestro speaker cables. These babys sound amazing music is totally different through these speakers. The treble is clear and crisp but not harsh on the ears, mids well they exist on these speakers comparied to my old 1s and the bass is yummy :) only have these speakers in a small room but the bass is fine to me. Im lookin forwad to hearin what they sound like with there feet on.
If ya lookin for a new pair of speakers these are fantastic sounding and great value for money.

Submitted by sujoyroy8 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought these for £300 from richer sounds on sale - what a bargain! These speakers are amazing. Not even set them up properly or anything just a quick connection etc. I can't even imagine how they'll sound with some better cabling and positioned properly etc. i don't even have them bi-wired!

However 1 question.

I forgot to check the boxes when I took them out. The sub(woofers) should be facing outwards right? I didn't check which was the left and which was the right! DOH!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds (Engla

Submitted by Tramontana a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had these for around a year now, they have been my side speakers in a 7.1 set up. Yes they are great. No doubts.