Mordaunt-Short MS-906 Floorstanding Speakers

4.93/5 (15 Reviews)

The Mordaunt-Short 906 is a 3-way floorstanding loudspeaker designed to offer deep powerful bass, with impresive scale and clarity. This versatile model does justice to a wide range of source, control and playback equipment, to allow you to derive maximum pleasure from your music. A generous proportioned cabinet and twin mid/bass units deliver a seamless presentation with awesome drive. The dramatically simple yet elegant styling combines form with function and maintains Mordaunt-Short's heritage of first class design and sonic excellence.

Submitted by fosteur a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2013

Bottom Line:
Hi,

I have been using these speakers now for about 7 years and the thing I notice is that they work awfully in certain circumstances and beautifully in others. It has all do do with how they are positioned and what type of floor they stand on in my mind.

I have had them on laminates, real wood floors and they kinda disappointed me.

Now, however, I have a concrete floor and they perform superbly. Everything is as tight as a nun's ass, everywhere, on all frequencies. It was such a difference that I just can't stop listening to all my music again.

My conclusion is that these speakers are just brilliant, but you need to anchor them to the floor properly and they like a firm suface, like concrete. When you get it right they are absolutely fabulous for all types of music. I like punchy, bassy rock myself and these guys just blow my mind with the bass response on the concrete floor. I have an older model than is now available. Oh, and they do take a few hours to settle in. After 7 years these guys are my best buddys. I am using a NAD 214 power amp and a 114 preamp, which have also been solid. Guess that's old school now LOL

Submitted by ceomilord a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
I just got these speakers in a few days ago & hooked them up. At first, they sounded somewhat normal & I wasn't drastically impressed, but after running for about 3 days straight, I'm noticing a drastic difference. My girlfriend even noticed when we had the U2 concert on last night. All she said was "Wow, this sounds unbelievable". Now this is coming from a girl who says "All this stereo stuff is the same. Why do you spend so much money on it?" That says something in itself. Out of the box they sounded slightly hollow, but now the sound is very balanced. Mids sound very clean & highs are excellent. These speakers are phenominal w/ Acoustics & classical music also. I've tested them quite a bit in the HT setup & its a dramatic difference from the Polk Satellites I had before. There's no comparison. To sum this up, I'm now looking for Mordaunt Short center channel & Dipole rears to complete the 5.1 setup. I'm very pleased.

Purchased At:   Midwest Stereo

Submitted by Erik Pettersson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
sound great, i recomend you to by them.
they even play good with my sh*ty system. i had some problems with fitting the feets to the speakers. the screws were to big. so i walked around my house looking for thinner screws. i found 16 of the same size. but they were to long. but i used a cutter to get them to rhe right size. now the feets are mounted to the speakers solid-as-a-rock. Then i attached the spikes. and they made quite impressive marks in the floor. then i filled the ballast chamber with cat sand, and got more solid bass. Hav`nt run them in get, so they sound better every day i play them.

Purchased At:   Ljud&bild center

Submitted by paulberry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I think they are the best buy under 900 euro/pair.
Quality sound in particular on medium frequency with the best detail in this range.It's not easy at this price.The quality sound is like Monitor Audio s6 that cost 50% more.
You can hear Mission 74 to check an alternative but they(MS) are the best,absolutely.
Tweeter not aggressive and with full details.Low frequency well done without boom.

Submitted by simmi chauhan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Initially I got the 904's and thought they were okay with the Nad320bee amp, but I felt some extra bass was missing. So then I swapped the 904's for Mission 773e's and a Nad C350 amp, although the amp was more powerfull the missions where very disappointing in the bass department even though they had two main drivers and a tweeter and the 904's had one, the 904's had better bass. So finally I got fed up and decided to cough up more dough and buy the 906's these speakers a very good, good in the bass department and good all round. The bass isn't super deep but if you like very low bass then I suggest you get the 908's which have a 10' inch woofer built in the side of them for a etc £50. These speakers are more than adequate for me regarding bass, I like hip hop and dance etc, I do listen to Rock and some pop too and the speakers handle all genres well. The plus side is that they take 150Watts each so I'm thinking of adding a power amp to my set up to get the full power out of the speakers.

Purchased At:   Richersound