Montana Loudspeaker SPX Floorstanding Speakers

3-way floorstanding speakers

Submitted by markthis3 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of THIEL CS1.5s ($2100) to replace my Signet 280s ($700). After a few months, I got tired of the Thiels. They were veiled and way too bright. I'll
take the Signets over the Thiels anyday. I traded the Thiels and bought the
Montana SP IIs and have happily lived with them for the last 10 years. I recently
went shopping for speakers and auditioned quite a few... Sonus Faber Cremonas,
Vienna Mahlers, Audio Physic Scorpios, Martin Logans, Krell. I liked the Audio
Physics and the MLs, but didn't want to spend that much, so i bought a pair
of Monitor Audio GS 60s ($4000). Well, after 6 months i was ready to sell the
Monitors 'cause i preferred the Montanas. Actually, i haven't found a speaker yet that beat the SP IIs, so i traded the GS60s for the Montana EPS2s. I figured i
might as well go with what works. Haven't heard the EPS2s or received them
yet (they're on order), but i have confidence in the designer. You never experience listening fatigue with the Montanas. They are powerful, yet smooth,
and have a wonderful midrange and top end. We'll see how the EPS2s stack up.
I'm hoping they don't overpower my 25' by 19' room. My only reservation on the EPS2s are the weight (150Lbs) and size (53" X 15 X 15). I've never had
such a large speaker nor paid so much ($8500).

Submitted by tlqualman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
The SPX and SPC (center channel) are without question the finest speakers I have ever owned. There are likely speakers out there that may beat them out in one area or another but I have not heard anything else do everything so well in this price range. With the right electronics they go from great to spectacular. I had a McIntosh MC126 6/ch 85/watt/ch amp driving then and they sounded very good. I was able to upgrade to a Parasound Halo A21 amp at 250/watt/ch and with a cleaner more powerful amp these speakers are amazing. I had some friends over to listen, when I put Norah Jones on they were both amazed that speakers this size just disappeared and Norah was suddenly right in front of them.
The SPX also has very good bass, with my Halo amp you hear the strings plucked and the notes are fast, clean, and very musical not muddy at all. I have a copy of Sheffield Labs Drums CD, an excellent test for a speakers speed and dynamics. The Halo amp keeps an iron grip the SPX's drivers and they respond with easy to every beat of the drum or crash of a cymbal. I am currently using a Pioneer Elite 47A universal player as a source and can hardly wait till I can afford to get a more musical unit to feed my system. Maybe the new Halo universal player or a used Esoteric.

Purchased At:   The Sound Station

Submitted by tlqualman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
What more can I say other then agree with the prior reviewers. These are the best speakers I have ever had in my home. I am also using the SPC center channel speaker which matches the drivers in the SPX. The center channel is a beast weighing in at 115 pounds. I switched from a McIntosh MC126 six channel amp of 85 watts per to the Parasound Halo with 250 watts per and the difference was amazing, tighter bass and even move open sound. At some point I would love to have the EPX in the front and move my SPX to my rear channels but until that time I could not be more happy with these speakers.

Purchased At:   The Sound Station

Submitted by smehe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
These are, hands down, no contest, the best speakers I have owned. The main feature that makes this true is that they tend to make you forget that they are in the room. I find myself listening to music more often and enjoying it more with the SPX'es.

The main thing I noticed when I upgraded from my previous ones was a tight, controlled and open sound. Details in all registers, from deep down to way up, became more apparent. The impact of powerful music more acute, the neuance of soft music more delicate and the grandure of orhcestral music more awesome.
Imaging and soundstage was also noticably improved. It sounds like Miles is standing right there between them ;-)

Yes, this sounds a bit bombastic, but what can I say... these babies kick some serious @ss.

As with all other serious speakers, you are well advised to feed them with the best you can. They are a pretty easy load (about 90db efficiency), but they will reveal any lacking qualities in your setup.

Speaker brands I have owned and/or compared them with include: B&W, Dali, Snell and a couple of DIY rigs.

Submitted by zaragon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
In my ears, the Montana-sound is very different from other US-loudspeakers I have heard. They offer detailed and very accurate sound combined with a lot of punch in the bass.
Problem for me during the time I have used them is lack of sufficient power to fire them up if you want to play really loud. I use them together with Electrocompaniet ECM1 CD-player, Audiolab Q pre and Audiolab M x 4 monoblocks. Even with the bi-amping on my Audiolab M-set it feels like the SPX needs more power, but the sound is beautiful played at normal levels with this set-up. You wont get tired of listening to the Montana-sound. I heard the same speakers combined with Sierra Audio equipment and the things really started to happen. All the dynamics, power and potensial in this speakers came forward. The sound they offered was everything you actually need no matter what kind of music-style you may enjoy.
Conclusion for me concerning these SPX-set is very close to the other reviewer here, - great loudspeakers, but give them the best you find and can afford concerning electronics and maybe also more power than I could offer them with my Audiolab-set.