Monitor Audio Studio 20SE Floorstanding Speakers

4.6/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $3495.00

floor standing speaker

Submitted by vinilsuporter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2008

Bottom Line:
a long time ago I had a pair of MA Studio 6 mas in that ocasion, I did not imagine that the problem was the power amps and I sold them and I was wrong.
2 years ago I bought this magnificent MA Studio 20 SE and I am delighted with all the fantastic perfomance I got. I am using a valve Dynavox VR 70 E modified by my friend Tube Dude and the source is an also modified California Auido Labs Icon MK II american cd player (dac PCM 61), IC DIY and a Solid Core Cable from Cyrus. The dimension and clarity of voices are atonishing, i can feel the singer inside my room, near me, with details I never heard before with other loudspeakers. I am listening almost all kind of music such as portuguese (pedro barroso, jose afonso, simone oliveira, tonicha), fado (mariza, camané)), irish popular music (mary black, wolfetones, black family, paddy reilly, christy moore), country music (emmylou harris, johnny cash, loretta lynn, nanci griffith, lucinda williams), vocal jazz (madeleine peyroux, paloma berganza, stacey kent, jane monheit) and all all this kind of songs I feel great, they give me a lot of joy. In resume, the best 2 way loudspeakers I just heard in my living room (and I am sure I heard some dozens of them). I bought them for around 1000 euros, a bargain.

Purchased At:   funchal (madeira)

Submitted by RobertA a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
A great sounding tower speaker I purchased new on line but obviously they have been in stock somewhere for an extended period of time. I have the Studio 60's as mains and the Studio Center so the 20's on the sides make a great complementary and timbre match. Since the 20's are nearly the match to the 60's, the system sounds unbelievably fluid and integrated. You cannot locate the speakers by sound at all. It took me about six months to find these matching sets as the Studios are long out of production. But now that I have, I have no desire to upgrade. I'm locked in.

Purchased At:   On line

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased the 20 SEC. Overall, they are the best sounding speaker I have ever heard. They have absolutely stunning separation and detail. The low end is slightly lacking in punch, but is extremely tight and detailed. Female vocals and pianos, two key tests of a speaker, are reproduced with superb realism. I have been losing sleep since I got these speakers home -- it's like hearing my music collection for the first time.

My pair came in black oak veneer (a slight scratch explains the price), which is not the most attractive finish available. If you can find them, the rosewood veneer is a winner.

Also, the Studio 50 SE (purportedly - I haven't heard them)resolves the issue of limited extension, if you can afford them ($6500 MSRP).

As other reviewers note, the quality of your electronics are important -- the speakers will expose any deficiencies in your amplifier.

Purchased At:   Alpine Audio

Submitted by Vidar Pedersen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Having heard plenty of high-end speakers, I really have to take my hat of for these. I wouldn't be surprised if these were one of the best speakers ever made.

The point is not how good a certain speaker COULD sound, given this and that; the MA 20's really DO sound great in most circumstances as long as you feed them a quality signal. And best of all; you could have them sound precisely as you like, simply by choosing your electronics with care. They're very chameleon-like in their transparency.

I currently use them in my system which comprises Linn Sondek LP12/Lingo/Arkiv/Naim Aro, Audiolab 8000 Q/PPA/4xM's amps and TaraLabs Master GenII cables.

The first thing that strikes you is the terrific definition, which leaves other high-end speakers sounding like their wooly and slow. The articulation of both voice and instruments are amongst the best out there, a singer will be heard to move the lips and tongue as well as the vocal chords. The pitch-definition over the entire frequency spectrum is also good, certainly much better in the bass than other Studio-models from MA.

Second of all, you'll be stunned about the power that can be delivered with good amps, without the speakers ever sounding heavy or there at all! On the contrary; they have a lightness to the sound that is very addictive.

The amount of detail is overwhelming, but it all seems to make musical sense, rather than beeing pushed at you.

Soundstage depth is natural, also to the sides, and the speakers seem to disappear totally in a good room.

They handle all music, be it opera, heavy metal, chamber music or jazz, with an intensity and a musical nerve that really makes it fun to be an audiophile AND a music lover. And it's just this intens musicality and "drive" that most probably will win you over; these are NOT dull speakers!

On the downside, if you have mid-fi amps and source (typically jap style separates or US muscle high on watts, low on sound quality) you need not apply. Then you're in for an expensive surprise. What you put in is pretty much what you get out; the MA's don't help out lesser electronics by hiding faults. Beeing so distinct and intense, you can easily guess that faults in amps and source also are presented intensly and distinctly! And, due to the Law of Sod, so it is in real life as well.
Further, it'll not give you the famous bottom octave with any power, at least not in a larger room. Well, there are always subs to be had.

If you have the best of amps and sources, these speakers won't put it to shame.

They may not be the cheapest or the most neutral speakers around, but they sound intensely musical and utterly distinct in real-life rooms, the addiction hazard is huge!

These are speakers for life.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   HiFi-Huset, Norway

Submitted by philip ash a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought the speakers after my brother inlaw purchased a pair six monthes ago could not beleave my ears the sound was great i took my cd player to his home (primare 30.2) and could not belive my ears there was so much more information coming from the disc which was playing. my system is denon avc-10se amp with denon poa-t10 power amp both thx pioneer dv-717 dvd player all with nordost solar wind cbls.

Purchased At:   sevenoaks cardiff