Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Floorstanding Speakers

• Dynamic expression
  • 6” C-CAM bass driver

Submitted by MaDequipment a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
We demoed a lot of speakers (Klipsch RF, Paradigm Monitor, Definitive Sound, Energy RC-50, B&W 6 series, and the Dali Helicon series) alongside a lot of different receivers (Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Integra, etc.) but eventually came back to Monitor Audio for a variety of reasons. Firstly, the sound of the speakers can only be described as luscious. Over the entire range, the RS6 will play back your music with aplomb and particularly excels with dynamic material including instrumental jazz and vocals, R&B, rock, and acoustic. A minor fault may be the tweeter's ability to exacerbate the poor quality of older recordings that have lots of noise, but rarely this is an issue. Just comparing this to the B&W 6 series, the MA speakers offer fuller sound in the midrange. The tweeter offers greater clarity, but not to the fault of becoming fatiguing. We happen to own a complete Monitor Audio system (RS6, RS1, RSLCR, RSW12), and home theater is a fantastic experience. Movies like the Incredibles are richly presented since the soundtrack is often coming through the RS6's. In general, the value of the speakers with its audio quality is unmatched with the wood veneers (we have the Walnut stain).

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by PATROCKET a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
Those speakers are Special. Look incredible, compact for a floorstanding speaker.

Extreme detail, very open, they add an aerness to the sound, treble is fantastic.
Very musical from Top to Bottom ( treble, midrange and bass).

Give them some respectable components (CD player, Amplification and Connection cables).
You will be surprise of what they can deliver.
Easy to drive.
Nothing come close to those speakers (Quality/Price).
If you want the same all around quality, prepare yourself to pay a lot more $$$

Strengths:

Sound Quality.
Extremly Musical.
Impeccable Finish.
Price.

Weaknesses:

Not enough retailer (Quebec,Canada).

Submitted by iLuv-music a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
I HAVE AUDITIONED NUMEROUS SPEAKERS IN THE PAST 18 MONTHS INCLUDING THE AXIOM AUDIO M60 AND M80 WITH THE VP 150. AS WELLS AS THE PARDAIGM MONITOR 11 AND THE PSB LINE OF SPEAKERS, THESE WERE ALL VERY GOOD SPEAKERS YET AFTER I LISTENED TO A PAIR OF RS6'S I WAS HOOKED. THEIR SOUND WAS CAPTIVATING.

MY ROOM IS 20 FT LONG AND 12FT WIDE WITH A 7 FT CEILING.

I HAVE OWNED DYNAMIC AS WELL AS ELECTROSTATIC SPEAKERS. MY LAST SPEAKER WAS THE MIRAGE OM9, TRIED THE OMD 15 AND SOMETHING GOT LOST IN THE TRANSLATION RETURNED TO RETAILER. FOR THE MONEY THE RS6'S ARE A TREMENDOUS VALUE. SOUNDING BETTER THAN DESIGNS COSTING THOUSANDS MORE.

THE MIDRANGE WAS INCREDIBLY VIBRANT AND OPEN, THE TREBLE EXTENDED AND ARTICULATE, AND THE BASS WAS IMPRESSIVE FOR A SPEAKER WITH A SMALL FOOTPRINT. I AM DRIVING THESE SPEAKERS WITH THE ONKYO SR805, I WILL SOON BE UPGRADING TO A MARANTZ RECEIVER, SPEAKERS ARE BI-WIRED WITH IXOS CABLE.

AFTER A SHORT BREAKIN PERIOD THE SPEAKERS HAVE ONLY SOUNDED BETTER. AS ANYONE KNOWS WHOM HAVE BEEN ENJOYING QUALITY AUDIO GEAR FOR SOME TIME, SYSTEM MATCHING, PROPER PLACEMENT WITHIN ONES ROOM, AND QUALITY ( AFFORDABLE) CABLES ARE ESSENTIAL FOR MAXIMUM ENJOYMENT... BY ALL MEANS FOLLOW THE ENGINEERS RECOMMENDATION AND BI-WIRE THESE SPEAKERS..

I AM USING THESE SPEAKERS WITH THE MATCHING CENTER AND SUB. EVERYONE WHOM HAS LISTENED TO MY SETUP CANNOT BELEIVE HOW EXPRESSIVE AND DYNAMIC THESE SPEAKERS ARE. THESE SPEAKERS ARE FORGIVING YET WILL STILL REVEAL THE QUALITY OF THE SOURCE. AS THE SAYING GOES GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT. FOR THE MONEY THESE SPEAKERS ARE AN INCREDIBLE VALUE.. MONITOR HAS JUST RELEASED AN RSX SERIES SO GRAB THESE GEMS WHILE YOU CAN.

I AM USING THESE SPEAKER FOR MUSIC AND HOME THEATER AND THEY EXCEL AT BOTH. THE CENTER SPEAKER IS REMARKABLE, VOICES ARE CLEARLY DELINEATED, SOUNDING FULL AND 3 DIMENSIONAL. AND THEY WILL PLAY AS LOUD AS I CAN TOLERATE WITHIN REASON. I MUST EMPHASIZE YOU MUST GIVE THESE SPEAKERS TIME TO BREAK IN, AND ONCE THEY DO MOST WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by saymir a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
Very good value for money.It does everything what company says,tight extendented punchy bass,sweet trebble,decent midrange if connected to smooth sounding amps-such as Technics.I was using Technics su-a700mk2.Simply amzing match.Relaxing sound.If connected to entry level hi-end gear,(krell kav500i)these speakers are capable of amazing 3D imaging and sounstage and dynamics >very similar to MA PL300.So such are the strengths.The weakness -very simple-need carefull amp match.Suggestion-avoid bright lively sounding amps,which have articulated upper midrange-like my Krell.The cause is very simple,the vocals might sound mechanical sometimes.Some people might think that the cause is trebble.I never found them booming.I think it is the problem of room acoustics or of the amplifiers such as Denon

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by green stye a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have taken the trouble to use two sets of cables to connect the two separate terminal pairs to two separate pairs on a Denon amiplifier, positioned the speakers well out from the wall, plugged both vents with foam, turned the bass control way down and removed the grills but nothing gets rid of the boomy bass that others have noted. I am using the pair in a 600 sq ft room. The spoken human voice sounds indistinct as if the person were standing behind some kind of barrier and music does not have the clarity I like. Boosting mid ranges on an equalizer helps a bit but this should not be necessary. High frequencies come through quite well though. This is not a bad speaker but I'm sorry I did not get something better.

Product model year:   2008

Music Hall A25.2 - Monitor Audio Silver RS6 ?

I've just purchased a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers. Now I'm trying to pick a cheap integrated amplifier (my budget is around 500US). At first, I thought I would go for the NAD C352 but since I may not need much power, my local store recommended the NAD 325BEE (or even the old 320BEE). A ... Read More »

Monitor audio Silver RS6

I recently bought these speakers to replace my Dynaudio bookehelf with the hope of getting more soundstage and clarity. These speakers are very bright to me. In fact the tweeters are kind of annoying. I drive them thru' Tara speaker cables, Adcom amp and Music Hall CD player with Nordost interconnec ... Read More »