Monitor Audio Silver 5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.46/5 (158 Reviews) MSRP : $999.00

Nicely built, Ceramic/Alloy drivers, gold tweeter

Submitted by Hummy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
Excellent sound. Like them better than my energy towers in most scenarios.

Submitted by musicmania a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
listening experience depends on multiple factors.AND there is no perfect system or speaker.i have been quite pleased with my silver 5 monitoraudio speakers.especially when i purchased them for $250.00 including shipping cost. yes placement is a key factor.but not criticle enough to dismiss the musical pleasure.YES a good amount of power is desirable.use with a power amp if possible. if you listen to cds mostly, run your cd player directly into the amp inputs , eliminating the preamp.and yes a good set of speaker wire is a must.i have used van den hul tara labs and straight wire with good results.the bass response is tight and clean ,and i prefer my pair on the floor rather than on a stand.the midrange is always pleasing, keep in mind that reproduction of the human voice is the most difficult task for any driver.the higs are quite strong and solid .any harshness comes mostly from bad mixing on the cd, or room acoustics.idont know of too many speakers in the 1000 price range i would buy in place of the 5s.and certainly none for the 250 these cost me. THE REST OF MY EQ. .. LUXMAN 120 MK 2 POWER AMP, .AUDIO ALCHEMY CD TRANSPORT,

Submitted by quartz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2007

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that I have been in the Audio hobby for the last 20 years or so. During that time I have gone through my share of all kind of audio gear, speakers included. I had a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52 which in my humble opinion is one fine monitor , their only fault I found is that they are bass shy otherwise I would have never have let them go. I will point out that I have two systems one in my basement and one in my den.Tthe den is where I had the Dynaudio driven by a Musical Fidelity A3.2 Int . I was looking to replace the Dynaudio and found a pair of Monitor Audio SILVER 5I.
. I became a bit skeptical at first maybe because of their diminutive size
and almost passed them up, what a mistake that would have been. The first think I did was fill the bottom with sand,about 7 pounds in each speaker after that I connected them to the Musical Fidelity with some spare Audioquest cv4 speaker wire, the sound was good in all aspects including bass. I was happy with my purchase and left the speakers in the den. After about 1 year last week I had some spare time and nothing better to do I decided to try the MA 5I in my basement , that's when my jaw dropped used with Sim Audio 4150 amp and 4002 Pre along with some older MIT MH-750 PLUS the sound that always had the tendency to be on the bright side became so smooth and full that words cannot describeThe sound stage grew . These little floorstanders are incredible when used with upscale gear.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by ken eaton a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Having been a long term user of MA R700's in the UK, I was amazed to see such a change in design in the Silver 5's.
I had to listen, even though I wasn't buying. DAC were fantastic, and when I said I wasn't buying, they said "listen now, buy later" and hooked them up to Arcam Alpha 10 amp/Alpha 9 CD (same as my electronics).
I was blown away.
The emotion of voices was still there from the R700's, but I was listening in the same room as the singer, and the musicians were gathered around!
Forget "too little bass" - get the ASW110 - These babies sing with a velvet voice and hit the spot.
I bought.

Purchased At:   Dubai Audio Centre

Submitted by Marco Gadotti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
SUONO PIENO COMPLETO DETTAGLIATO CON OTTIMA DINAMICA