Monitor Audio Silver 3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.65/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

Bookshelf speaker

Submitted by luis matias a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
What a terrific pair of little speakers!... It's hard to believe the midrange clarity and the accurate highs.
Besides, they sound perfectly seamless throughout the frequency range. Only low frequencies lack thump in bigger rooms, like mine, but add in a good powered sub, like I did, and the problem is solved. I've possesed Mission, Kef and B&W speakers near this price range, all of them 5-star products at their time, but, as for full enjoyment of what's being played, none of them comes close to these babies.

Submitted by Olaf a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have been searching for a sound like this for a long, long time. I compare the 3i's to the IMF's I owned in the 70's. They are true artists, painting a beautiful mural of sound. I had been lured by the "Danish sound", the "French sound", and American stuff. Dynaudio, Focal, Triangle, JBL and Snell have spent time with me, and they all have their respective pluses, but for me the Monitor Audio 3i's are the best I've had.

I have them placed half way into my room, on Atacama Nexus stands, powered by a Creek 5250 SER int.amp. and using a Pioneer Elite PD-65 cd player. Wiring is Mapleshade Golden Helix speaker wire and interconnects are Mapleshade Excalibur. The Creek has been tweaked and the active pre-amp gain stage removed. A must for this version of Creek's beloved series. For low bass fill in an Energy 8in. powered sub runs off the "B" speaker posts of the Creek and 3i's run on the "A" side, full range. Excellent match in my smallish room.

There definetly has been a period of acclimation from the super "harsh" Triangle Titus's to the "calmer" 3i's. This is, to me, British audio at it's finest, at this price range. True sound reproduction artistry, and a beautiful Rose Manhogany real wood finish to boot.

A true masterpiece for the "all and sundry".

Oh, yes, Smart Home Theaters has 2 more pair left at this price.

Purchased At:   Smart Home Theaters,

Submitted by markj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I like the 3's alot
alot, however they definately need
a sub. What I found was that the 3's
sound slightly thinner and more transparent than my 5's. So what I've
done is to add additional sub (2 ASW 210's) and put the 5's in the rear,using
the 3's as my fronts. Excellent! Very detailed and perhaps alittle larger in the soundstage than with the 5's up front.
The 5's in the rear add dimension and depth to the back of the couch, they pocess enough bottom to stand alone, the
3's didn't.

Purchased At:   AV ART

Submitted by Tim Le a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
With the price I paid for, the silver 3I was an excellent buy. The details and image are excellent, clarity and built quality are very good. I highly recommend these in comparisson to Paradigm or Energy or even NHT.

Purchased At:   Stereo Plus

Submitted by Rom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use these for rear along w/ MA 7i, 10i and ASW110 sub. It's almost a shame to put these in rear since they sounded wonderful connected as main with the sub. They sound great in the back, but I feel it's an overkill. These speakers will make for a nice mains with a sub.

Purchased At:   Mail -order