Monitor Audio Radius R180 Floorstanding Speakers

• Unique drivers
  • Metal matrix polymer cone material
  • Magnetically shielded drivers
  • Front ported design
  • Die-cast metal wall

Submitted by J Conley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
I first purchased these speakers when looking for a high quality, great sounding, and small speaker for a living room based theater in our new home. I had been using B&W DM600 series for Front and rear in my old house, but the design of the room required something smaller. At first I was hesitant due to their size, but after my first audition was amazed at how airy and open they sounded. They obviously don’t do lower mid-range, or bass as well as the B&W’s, but IMHO they have a better sound on Music and DVD movies. Most reviewers in the past review these in conjunction with the Monitor Audio subwoofer; I am using a Velodyne Mini-Vee instead and the sound is amazingly matched.
I am running three of these beauties, LCR in my home theater and love them. They do a great job of providing a realistic and rich listening experience. While my current system (Marantz SR7001) and the previous (HK AVR525) rendition have used AV receivers for the amplification, I am upgrading to a separate amplifier (Marantz MM9000) and can’t wait to see if there is a difference.
In closing these as the front speakers, the Velodyne as the subwoofer and along with my Monitor Audio Radius 90 for side surround, and Radius CPMi ceiling mounted rear surrounds I feel I have a very capable system for the money. I highly recommend these speakers for anyone with a moderate budget looking for an alternative to other (better sound through marketing) sorts of compact speaker systems.