Monitor Audio MPC 702 Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by qazwsx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had these speakers for almost 3 three years now.I must say that , i am not willing to let go of them , cos i cannot find a better sounding bookshelf than these gems , at these price or even twice the price.One thing I love abt these speakers is the mid-range, wonderful tight midrange for a monitor speaker that you will not find for any other monitors in the market.Althought i must say these speakers are best suited for jazz and instrumental music, they also out perform in other genres of music.You dont have to take my word for it , go ahead audtion a set today, and bring in that music that has been missing your room for many years.

Purchased At:   second hand dealer

Submitted by paul wong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
I brought this for almost one year, I found that PMC 702 is exclusively suitable for saxophone, guiter acoustic instrumental playing, maybe due to the metallic bass, however for vocal is not so soft.

Submitted by Jimmy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've owned these gems for 14 months now, and looked for a long long time for bookshelf speakers that would provide dual duty for HT (40%) and music listening (60%)
These speakers are very attractive and provide an excellent sound stage when mounted on stands. I've owned about a dozen sets of speakers over the years and none have been nearly as good as these...the product is the PMC702, not MPC! But you knew that..

After moving my circa 1985 Klipsh KG4's to another room ( I didn't have room for them for the HT in the family room ) I rebuilt my entire system. Now powered by a Yamaha 990 with DVD by Toshiba and a NAD CD player, all of my speakers are MA including the matching MA210 I tried various other subs first, finally biting the bullet and spending a grand on the MA. It keeps up with the fast, dynamic, and clear MA PMC702's I'm surprised by the clean output at high volume for such compact speakers; they can be driven hard considering their size. I was used to the Klipsh KG4 with the big woofer and passive bass.

Before buying the PMC702's I evaluated the B&W 602, B&W CDM1, Energy C-2 (nice for the price), Paradigm Reference 20, and numerous others. I got the 702's for less than $900

Submitted by stephen w a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
I owned a pair of PMC 702 for one year and half, it brought me every evening to music heaven.

First, for recommending any piece of equipment, one has to be sure what music he listens to, how much he can afford to pay and what a sound he'd love to have.

For me, classical music is staple of life. I found many people have a confusing definition of "Classical" when used in hi-fi sense. This genre in fact includes an extremely wide range of presentation, say big or small orchestral, magnificant mass, delicate solo, chamber and songs, let along the all-involving operas. Therefore, it requires the highest standard of equipment, I believe, for a decent and all-round music presentation.

Before taking in the 702, I tried Dali miniatures with tube amps, which sweetens my ears with violin solo and female voice. But switching to fast orchestral piece, the components just failed, as the soundstage can be quite wide but only 20cm high, giving you no concert sense at all.

The Sonus Fabre Concertino almost shared the same feature with Dali, with a stronger holographic image for Maria Callas, which was so intoxicating. Only if it gives grander view for multi-instrument works!

Castle Severn was highly acclaimed on magazines, so I turned to these floorstanders for a solution. But matching with Solid-State amps in corresponding price range, they sounded a bit loose and too analytical to absorb me into the music.

Finally, I took the 702 for its good imaging for the solo against the concerto background, Callas and Bostridge(who sounds very adolescent comparing with higher-grader boxes), mild and well-extended bass string staccato, soundstage much more higher than Dali and Sonus, crisp group strings and intriguing cymbal crashes in Karajan's Mahler the Ninth.

702 may be weaker if compared with counterparts from other famous brands on certain aspect, say, vocal sweetness, bass impact, group delineation or treble transparency. But at USD 600-800 and in overall sense for my "classical" fodder, they are the best first-step choice, especially for rooms of approximately 15-20 square metres.

I have now upgraded to a pair of floorstanders 2.5 times more expensive than MA PMC 702, which are stronger in bass extension and tremble definition, thus presenting music in a more realistic and involving manner. But the vocals do sound harder, which I am still wondering whether it resembles more to face-to-face occasion.

Coming back to my first hi-fi encounter, I never regret having 702s as my puppy-lover. Audition one if you are in the same conditions as mine!

Submitted by Tomy Foo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
At first when I first bought this speakers I find it harsh but afriend told me to burn in for at least 30 hours after which I find the speakers as smooth as silk I tried to find any flaw in it but to my amazement instead I found it accurate and verrrrr....y precise you can play nearly any type of music try Jaime Valle,Foreplay and you will understand what openness means. Great works from Monitor Audio !!!!!!!!
My system :
CD player Sony CDP 761E
Amplifier TA-FB- 920R
Cable Monster M series CX2(4 pair Bi-wire)