Monitor Audio Monitor 4 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Onesizefitsall a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
An excellent all around speaker. I use these as my primary speakers and the front outside channels for my home theater (with a matching Monitor Audio CC300 middle channel and Monitor Audio 2.5 in the rear). Unfortunately, I been powering the system with Sony's ES 333 (complete with AC-3 decoding). It's not a bad receiver, but these speakers deserve better. However, given the power supply, these speakers have performed EXTREMELY well and I am very satisfied. To hear the DTS versions of Santana's Abraxas, Steely Dan's Gaucho, Eagles' Hell Freezes Over or any of the DTS DVDs has been a shear pleasure. I listen to a great deal of Frank Zappa's music, and these speakers have kicked ass handling the various layers of music and melodies common with his music. I got a good deal when I purchased the set and anyone who sees these speakers used for sale (no longer available new), should audition them. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Please note that I have rated them as 4 stars on the overall rating because these (technically) are an entry level speaker for an audio enthusiast and therefore, must be rated as such when compared to other speakers that an enthusiast would purchase. For a novice looking to purchase speakers, I would rate 5 stars compared to the speakers sold by the giant audio/record superstores.

Purchased At:   Audio Encounter

Submitted by Veratas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought these at a 50% reduction also. I am very pleased with the performance of these speakers. The clarity of sound and the soundstage are rich. There is full bodied sound with a pleasurable mixture of highs, midrange and lows. I have been using these with a Klipsch KSW 10 subwoofer and KG 1.5 bookshelfs as surrounds. I have had to adjust the subs output down to match the richness of the lows coming from these speakers. Certainly I think that the speakers have enough bass on their own to not need a sub.
I especially like the punch from the bass that I hear on more dynamic jazz pieces with a lot of bass. The highs are dynamic but not harsh.
Acoustic music sounds transcendant with strings resonating with a full rich sound.
I have these powered with a Denon 3300.
The size of the cabinets are small enough to fit a smaller listening room if needed Yet the sound is big enough to fill a larger room.
I would not hesitate to recommend these speakers.

Submitted by Bob Bielecki a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently sold my much loved NEAR 15Ms to buy a discontinued pair of Monitor Studio 4s with 2 6-1/2" woofers and a gold dome tweeter. I was looking for something with a richer low end than my NEARs. Not only did I get what I wanted, I also got a tamer high end and much improved midrange detail. While I got lots of high end zip with the NEARs, the Monitors were no less extened but much smoother. I have no plans to add a sub as there is plenty of bass for my tastes. I rated the NEARs five stars a few years ago, and these are definitely better in nearly every aspect. Audio Advisor sold me mine for $500, 50% off retail price. Outstanding value.

Submitted by Torben Kristensen a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1998

Bottom Line:
I tried out a set of Monitor Audio Monito 4 speakers and a Audiolab 8000 A amp.I found that the speakers performed very well with good imaging and a well controled bass.
I would like to know if someone could offer some comments on these speakers

Thoughts on Paradigm Monitor 5 v.4

New to the forum! I have a chance to pick up a set of Paradigm Monitor 5 v.4 speakers. The guy selling them is asking $300, claiming that's half what he paid. I'm no speaker expert by any means but I have heard smaller Paradigms and think they sound great. My current set of speakers is a set of B ... Read More »

Paradigm mini-monitor, V.4 and V.5, compaired

Ok, I went to my local hi-fi shop to see if they had the new paradigm monitor line ready for audition yet. And to my luck, they had the mini-monitors, new and old ones, both set up... PERFECT! Ok, the first thing I noticed, was that they are totally different speakers sound wise. Mini-monitor ... Read More »

Paradigm Studio v.4 - Monitor v.5 - Signature v.2

Here is some info on the Paradigm revisions. All lines seem to be getting a makeover. It looks as if the Atom will be part of the Monitor line if I read things correctly. I wonder if there going to dump the Performance line. [url]http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=724050[/url]Read More »