Monitor Audio Gold Signature 60 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

GS60

Your SpaceThe elegantly proportioned GS60 embodies all the conviction and integrity of Monitor Audio design. Its thirty year heritage is eloquently expressed by a compelling unity of cutting-edge innovation and aesthetic creativity bringing life-like power, dynamics and realism to music and film. Like all models in the Gold Signature range, the flagship GS60 is a monument to the cabinet-maker’s art. Immaculate real wood or piano gloss finishes are blended with a slender, contemporary design and superb attention to detail, investing the GS60 with an air of resolute quality.

Submitted by macrog a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
I got these speakers as an insurance replacement for my old Monitor Audio Gr60s. The Rosewood finish is beautiful. The build quality is significantly improved over the Gold Reference series e.g.Cases much better made, Bases now composite with much more elaborate spikes.

I ran the GR60s on a pair of mono Plinius sa250 mk4s but that system is now inhabited by a pair of Quad 2905s so the gs60s are running on the end of a much more modest system. Linn Pre / Power from a Cambridge 840c cd/da converter fed from digital output of home theatre pc.

The sound is wonderful and anhilates the sound I achieved with the gr60s on the much more expensive system.

The Treble still has a bit of sting on bright recordings but is much more transparent, Bass is deep and detailed. The imaging rivals that from the Quad Electrostatics. The sound on Industrial and Dance Music is scarey. Bass impact hits you in the stomach but with aclarity I have never experienced.

These speakers are in my opinion a huge improvement on the gr60s and excellent value for money.

Purchased At:   Soundline Audio

Submitted by Chris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
Over the years I have heard many speakers that are priced in the Stratospheric range that do not come close to these.I wrote an article here on the GR60's on this site which is the fore-runner to these.Let's get to it then,Starting with the look of these speakers,MA has done a immpecable job in the finish of these.The wood venners are first rate,looks like an 8000-10000 speaker.The sound quality has been improved over the GR60.These speakers will put to shame the B&W 802d & 803d in every area.I listened to the 45,000CDN Amati Homages and was disssapointed in their bass response,Sonus Faber says they go done to 20HZ but I keep wondering to myself were's the bass.The biggest thing I noticed with these Is the 3- dimensionality, the speakers totally dissappeared into the room and just present the music, unlike the Amati's which did not, I could hear where the speakers were.The mid range is even more open than the GR's.With no Caps in the midrange and the newly designed drivers this speaker has the most open and revealing mids that I have heard from any speaker at any price.The best comparison I can make is that of Electostatics.One word of warning,these speakers are incredibly revealing and will tell you how bad your up-steam is.I would only use Single crystal cable such as Harmonich Tech which I have found to be the most nuetral cables to use in any system.The High end has been extended to 42KHZ and the cymbals are so much more brassy sounding and the decay of the instruments goes so deep, it's beautiful.The air and space around everything is even more open.Don't get fooled just by the looks,The Sonus Faber are gorgeous looking but will not come close in sound quality to these.Go listen,you will see and hear a world -class speaker, but make sure there connected to good equipment.I tried them with all types of music,jazz,classical,rock and they excelled in every area.Like Mike Mccann from E-gear Mag said of the GR's,this may be the best speaker system on the face of the planet.Congratulations to MA for such an excellent job ,to the other speakers manufacturers take note.

Submitted by Ryan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
Love them, took a bit of time to run in but once they had about 100 hours in them they really shone! Build quality is very good. I certainly don't think i'm an audiophile but i can tell you that in a side by side comparision with the J.M Focal 836 chorus and the B+W 804s, it blew them away in my opinion. My old mission speakers are nowhere near these. I don't think i could have got better for my money

Purchased At:   West coast hifi bunb