Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10 Floorstanding Speakers

4.85/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1499.00

A true reference class stand-mounting speaker, the Gold Reference 10 uses one RST™ bass-mid driver and the new gold C-CAM™ tweeter developed specially for the Gold Reference Series. It has been designed to give the most accurate performance possible. The GR 10 is capable of pinpoint imaging and tonal accuracy to rival the best reference studio monitors. Yet it's equally at home when used in a multi-channel audio or cinema system. As part of a Gold Reference speaker array, accurate tonal matching means it integrates perfectly.

Submitted by Drazzz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
It's been a couple of months ever since Monitor Audio GR10 replaced my previous speakers, JM Lab Electra 905 – I got used to 905's excellent midband, details and clarity. Gorgeous look and great finish were additional bonus, too.

Also, they've fit like a glove to my Exposure's 3010S CD & Amp darker tonality. So, I was a bit suspicious concerning first impressions about this traditionally shaped, sharp-edged cube, particularly because there was no chance I could try it in my system before purchasing. But, leaned on numerous positive impressions and reviews, I decided to settle them down on my speaker stands.

And luckily, I did no mistake: this little bugger become one of the most pleasant surprises between underestimated little speakers, having all virtues for a long-term relationship in my system: sound is open, but not agressive, high are detailed, but not heavy. Vocals and choruses sound real, rounded and natural - for my taste, this is probably the best side of this speaker. Treble, middle & bass section are seamlessly connected in one ensemble, making music great for listening in any moment, also working well with all kind of music, without prefering any genre – classical music sounds equally exciting as r'n'r, making this little speaker a great all-rounder.

Bass is something else – Exposure 3010s is capable to provide deep, strong and accurate bass, all they need is good speaker to accompany them, and that's exactly what GR10 are capable for – deep and strong bass ( of course, considering their modest size ), but well controled, never hiding any important details in overall musical athmosphere.

Shortcomings – when pushed too loud, tweeter can sound harsh, producing high tones rough on the edges, alltough not with every kind of music, and not so obvious – but such a phenomenon can be easily forgiven even to a more expensive stuff. Also, in these moments, soundstage becomes compressed and details in more complexed recordings are hardly recognizible.

Connectors on rear will probably peel your skin off whenever you try to press them stronger, ther are just too close – but the real problem occurs any time you wish to do some testing by removing original jumpers for better ones – connectors are too close and awkwardly recessed, so any jumper replacement would become a painful job even for a tiny fingers.

But, once you put this GR10 on a proper stands and let them play their best, everything else is easily forgotten.

Submitted by Pablo246 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
Liked the silver 6's and was reccomended to hear the S10's. Great thing about Sound Advice is they let me listen to muliple speakers ($5000 worth at one time). So I had the silver 6's and the 10's in my living room at the same time. YOU HAVE TO HEAR SPEAKERS IN YOUR LISTENING ROOM TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE! I have a VERY bright room. The gold 10's had a better high end but lacked the warmth of the silver 6's. I also had the gold floor model which was TOO warm. I would love a speaker with the silver mid and lows and the gold tweeter! I chose the silvers because of the warmer midrange and better bass. Yet I was quite surprised by the bass of the 10's. I didn't expect bookshelf speakers to have all that bass. So the gold tweeter is awsome but I prefer the silver midrange and bass. Great speaker in the right room. Highly reccommended.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by Giampiero a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I really think this is one of the most underrated speaker today available, and it's strange due to Monitor Audio good reputation worldwide.
The GR10 is in my opinion the bookshelf speaker to beat in its price range. To hear a significantly better sound you must go very far beyond them....(I've never heard the new GS10, but I guess it would be close in sound to GR10)
What make me say it all?
This speaker EXCELS in different areas as stereo openess, articulation, focusing, micro dynamic. I moreover preferred GR10 to several floorstander speakers due to their greater coherence.
About their limitations: as some of the previous reviewers wrote, their treble can be a little metallic or aggressive, but it could happen mainly if they're used with a budget digital source or if your listening room is too reflective. In my system the only source is a Mitchell Orbe/Sme IV/Benz LP and all is smooth and very detailed at the same time, and the treble extension just add air and space to reproduction, without any listening fatigue. I found that using GR10 with tube gear (mine is Klimo Merlin/Kent mono) give moreover remarkable musicality, but be aware, in a 30mq room 30/40 watt tube power amp is strictly necessary if you want to obtain a realistic listening level, while in rooms up to 15mq GR10 could be ok even with a 300B amp or similar stuff.
About the bass extension, yes, is a mini monitor, but do not fool yourself, their bass is not so limited as their dimension can make you imagine, and above all is a tight and articulate bass.
Finally, the price. These speakersare no more produced, and are usually available on the second hand market between 700/900 $, depending on finish, which makes their purchase an incredible bargain....what else could I say?

Submitted by Giampiero Evangelista a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

What make me say it all?

Submitted by titan7 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I picked these up at 50% off due to Good Guys going out of business (that's sad, great store). I heard these in the sound room for a couple weeks they were just awesome. The imaging was better and they were more accurate than any of the other speakers I listened to. I heard all the Energy lines and they sounded good, but I kept coming back to the GR-10. It was the articulation of the speakers and the total dispursement of the sound that sold me, the speakers just seem to disappear. Well, the third time I went back I decided to purchase them, good thing I waited as the discount went from 40% to 50% off. I got the last pair of Cherry GR-10 still new in the box! I got them home I got another surprise when I took them out of the box. The cherry verneer is the most beautiful burl grain I have even seen, the speakers look like works of art and sound just as good. I have finally reached audio nirvana. I am running modest equipment which I will no doubt upgrade. All I have is a 1994 Denon CD changer and 1994 Denon 545R receiver 60watts RMS powering the GR-10, it does very well, but a new integrated Amp @ 100-150 watts RMS will be much better. I have been playing the GR-10s 24 hours per day at a low-med volume since I got them two days ago. They sound better and I guess they should be burned in in a couple more days. I plan on running these with a powered sub. The bass is good and accuate, but a sub will do much better. I do not listen to music at real high volumes, and I am not a big booming bass fan. I do listen to every type of music from Classical, Jazz, Rock, Metal, the GR-10s make everything sound better. Highly Recommended!!!!

Purchased At:   Good Guys