Monitor Audio Bronze 3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

The Bronze 3 is the flagship of the Bronze series and is the most dynamic of the series. The lower cabinet compartment allows mass loading for tighter bass response and a lower centre of gravity, giving you a more stable image.

Submitted by tutaekuri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought my Monitor Audio Bronze 3s off TradeMe (NZ version of Ebay) for only $NZ500. These replaced my Wharfedale Valdus 400s, which were great for parties but now that I’m getting older I’m finding that I’d prefer a more accurate and refined sound. The first thing I noticed them when I transported and installed them is how heavy they are, especially down the bottom. It feels like there is already some lead in the bottom of the cabinets. The second observation is that I really like the way they look – mine are black and I think they are beautiful. I have bi-wired them and attached the spikes but haven’t mass-loaded them (yet).

After a little faffing about to get them in just the right positions (which I didn’t find very difficult partly due to them being front-ported) I settled down to listen to a few test tracks. I tried Damien Rice’s ‘O’ album, which is a good test of musical separation and soundstage. I find the separation to be very good across the soundstage but not quite as clear from front to back. His vocals are nice and clear but not too bright, something that my old Wharfedales couldn’t achieve – they made Damien sound a little like he was in a concrete bunker.

I then tried a couple of tracks to check out the highs and lows. I have no complaints about the highs and the lows were well produced but fell away on some of the lower notes.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase. I think I got a very good deal and made a noticeable improvement in the quality of the sound. This hobby could start to get much more expensive from here so I am likely to enjoy what I have for some time now!

Purchased At:   Trade Me (auction si

Submitted by open_book_test a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
For the price these speakers offer outstanding value. While they are not as musically articulate as the silver series, they compete quite closely for home theatre.

Submitted by crusher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers convey a very detailed, musical soundstage resulting in a convincingly real reproduction of music in the Jazz, Acoustic , and classical genres. Midrange reproduction is outstanding, (example:Steeley Dan Two Against Nature, Drum fills are reproduced with uncanny power and dynamics). Lower bass is very impressive considering the size of the woofer. Fill the lower cavity with sand and bi-wire and these speakers will sing!. For convincing reproduction of rock or movie soundtracks a subwoofer will be required however these speakers will handle this type of music and movie soundtracks with no sign of strain or distortion even at high levels. These speakers are undoubtedly one of the best in this price range built by a leading edge speaker manufacturer.

Purchased At:   east hamilton radio

Submitted by Daa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased these about a week ago from my local dealer who was closing out his last two pairs. These are an incredible bargain! The musicality of these little guys is outstanding. There is nice, weighty, detailed bass. The midrange is well placed and articulate. The gold dome tweeter is the same used in the Silver series. Its excellent, quite lively, yet not forward or brash. Its sort of the best of a good musical soft dome and a detailed aluminum dome. In a small to medium room, a sub is optional. You wont miss much. Overall a really nice, well rounded speaker.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Submitted by Dmitry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
If one doesn't have lot's of space in his room (my life story) but wants floor standing loudspeakers - Bronze 3 is way to go. Sound is brilliant, overall quality of loudspeakers is excelent, supported options are many (bi-wire, bi-amplify, spikes and mass loading). Also comes with very good manual, which contains detailed instructions on placement. For classical music Bronze 3 sounds perfect, for metal and rock one may want some more bass, but it can be issued by placing and mass loading. The bottom line is - very recomended for musical enthusiasts and home theater fans alike.

Purchased At:   local audio/video store