Monitor Audio Bronze 1 Floorstanding Speakers

4.85/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $299.00

The Bronze 1 is a compact bookshelf or stand mount speaker using a 5.5" MMP woofer and 1" Gold dome tweeter.

Submitted by LI150 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
This review is for the new BR1's with the rear port and single pair of binding posts.

I needed a small set of speakers for my kids room and my dealer sold me his, brand new, personal set on a whim for somewhere around half price.
Before installing them in the kids room I put these in place of my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s which are very highly reviewed. I personally could find no reviews on the BR1's so here is my review.

In the end I found the BR1's to be a much better speaker than the 9.1's, the clarity and speed of the BR1's is much more to my liking. The tweeter technology that Monitor Audio is using in these little units is light years ahead of most other products in this price range. The speakers let through/reproduce tonnes of detail and nuance. I can tell the difference between cabling very easily with these as well as the reverb settings Moby is using on different tracks on his Hotel album.

They do take the prescribed 100 hours for break-in. At first the tweeter can be very piercing but once things settle down they have a very 'live' sound. Not the warm cozy British type sound of the Wharefedales.

The front to back imaging is where these affordable speakers cannot keep up with say a $1000.00+ pair of speakers. However the price I paid and what they can do, and do right, for the money is simply stunning.

I will say that these are not the speaker for everyone. I am driving them with a $2k amp so dropping them in a system with a less than ideal amplifier match could very easily sound harsh.

In the end I let the Diamond 9.1's go. (Kids room still needs some speakers.)

Highly recommend a listen. Make sure your dealers lets you take them for a home audition.

USED WITH:
Supra Ply 3.4 Speaker Cable

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by oriww a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
i got the b1 for my bedroom , they have a real good sound compare to their size. detail and bass are very good especially for small rooms. i mounted them on the wall but because of the rear port they sound much better on shelf or stand. they have a little bit lack of openness , but this is because their small size. any way if small size is a factor, these are the best. i use it with creek amplifier.

Purchased At:   amnon sound

Submitted by jsrtheta a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
These have got to be the best speaker deal going. I use Monitor Audio Silver 8is in my main system, and needed something for the bedroom. The Mordant-Short MS202s that I was using really didn't cut it.

Traded them in for these babies, and I can't believe my ears. They are rated down to 55hz, but sound like they go deeper. They have the detail of my floorstanders. They are loud, crisp, rich and detailed. In fact, they're like having my floorstanders in my bedroom. These are, without doubt, the best small monitors I have ever heard for the money. Peerless.

Purchased At:   Saturday Audio Excha

Submitted by Roberto Digby a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
Purchased based on reviews. Listened at dealer with audiophile equipment, audiophile interconnects and cables, and situated perfectly in room. These speakers were AWESOME for the size and price. Bought them immediately.
Hooked up to my unit, Aiwa receiver, JVC DVD, next to TV for front speakers for home thater and stereo. Sound only 75% as good. I am doing these speakers an injustice, but at this price who cares.

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by open_book_test a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers after reading the fantastic reviews they received and was not let down. Although I have replaced them with Bronze 3's for mains, they were excellent for almost any music.