Mission MSM73 Floorstanding Speakers

4.44/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

Mission Floor Standing Monitor Speakers - MSM73BK/ Inverted Drive Geometry/ 2-Way/ Micro Fiber Dome Tweeter/ 48 Hz - 20 kHz/ 90 dB/ 8 Ohms/ Magnetically Shielded/ Anthracite Black/ Priced Per Pair

Submitted by bentran a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the M73i for $520Aus (the "i" is for improved the M73i model superseeds the M73)at the local hifi shop during one of their sales. On reflection it was an impulse buy, since I did not do any research on speakers before parting with my cash. They sounded pretty ordinary until I upgraded my amp from a sony to a NAD 741. The amp made the speakes come alive. The sound imaging was fantastic, my wife commented that the music was coming from the centre and not from the speakers and you do get the impression that the music is coming from many different directions and sources and not just from the speakers. The speakers have very high definition in the high frequencies, voice and singing are crystal clear.

If you can afford a bit more then I recommend you go for the M73i bigger brother the M74. The M74 has an extra mid driver and will provide more bass and mid range than the M73. I was really impressed with the M74 but did not have the extra cash so I settled for the M73i (Don't get me wrong the M73i are great in their price range and class).

One more thing make sure you have a good amp and and adequate CD/DVD player before buying the M73i or any other speakers. A great speaker with an ordinary amp will sound ordinary.

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers are incredible. You simply cannot beat them with anything else in the price range. In fact, they sound better than some more expensive speakers. I've had to do very little to maximize their sound... just a little toe-in and taking the grilles off. I'm more into using them for music but they've impressed me on movies as well. Oh, and don't spend the extra $ on the m74s... no need to, believe me.

Submitted by Adam Williams a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Get it right with these speakers and you will be richly rewarded with the characteristic 'Mission sound'. Detailed treble, ample bass and expressive mid-range. These speakers really are excellent value for money.

Getting it right involves; mass loading; spiking or finding good rubber feet to lift the speakers off the floor, finding the right position in the room so that the bass is controlled w/o using the bungs, toe-ing in a little, taking the covers off for serious listening, and using reasonably good quality electronics that a free from 'spit' (I recommend blowing the money you save on these speakers on an Arcam CD72T).

Purchased At:   Prick Up Your Ears -

Submitted by bromley80 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these to replace my ageing Wharfedale Diamonds. They sound absolutely phenominal over the whole frequency range. They will play very hard with little distortion, but it is at low volumes that they impress the most - the amount of detail is unbelievable for the price. They are quite sensitive so even with my 35 Watt Denon amp they shake the windows out of their frames. I've seen them on line for £136 - buy them!

Purchased At:   Glasgow Audio

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I found these speakers on Ebay for a great price. While they are relatively inexpensive, the quality and looks is outstanding for the price range. I was lucky to find them in Beech color (not sold in the US). As far as sound is concerned, they are a great match for my Marantz CD player producing a smooth, sweet sound, not harsh or bright. The bass is excellent, in fact, it could be too much for some people but you can always plug them with supplied foam bungs or mass load them to suit your taste. They seem to take quite loud volumes with minimal distortion. For those of you who care about these things, Consumer Reports rated it best mid-level speakers and these have also won several awards in Europe.

I highly recommend these for anyone's entry/mid-level home theater setup.

Purchased At:   Ebay