Mission 782 Floorstanding Speakers

4.21/5 (29 Reviews)

3-Way Reflex, Floor Standing Speaker - 6.6 inch (165mm) Driver - Silk Dome Tweeter

Submitted by Manuel Ribeiro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2016

Bottom Line:
I've been reading most reviews here... All are important as bit by bit they all make quite a story.
Truth is that these are excellent speakers... way better sounding than their price range.
Are they perfect? NO
Can you make them perfect? That's the good news... you can!

David Tudor: the original Woofer is Nomex made so it will endure abuse but require some serious push to show it's brilliance... as Huyoo claims, you need a good A class with some serious gut to make them work. My Denon 4306 for instance is just enough not to overdrive nor under-drive.

PhilNZ: Spot on on the bass/positioning of the speakers.. that is because both the bass driving and bass reflex exit the speaker sideways on the same side... not sure why mission did it like that but will dig into it whenever i have the time.
Almost there... regarding the problems these speakers have...the drivers did not burn... they corroded the soldering to death! Check by article on how to solve that for good.

Turist: yup the mid drivers have a design flaw. That is why they all fail and that is why you can buy these speakers cheap and with 162gbp and 3 hours of work you can make them into masterpieces... check my article on that.

Bigsound50 : positioning is the key.

Northener, Ervin: the excessive bass and treble is sounding more and more like the mid's are failing or failed unbalancing the package. Also, direct bass on a small room is not what i would do with the 782... try facing the woofers to the wall at 20 to 30cm distance... but get those mid drivers fixed first.

gokhan senturk : you need to read my article. Been there!

The article I created about how to repair the 782's http://totaltechtalks.blogspot.pt/2016/02/mission-782-repair.html

Submitted by David Tudor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2014

Bottom Line:
Whilst i have had to change the woofers and tweeters I think the items I've replaced them with are much better quality than the originals and look as if they last.

I mention this because even though I've had to replace them, the sound they produce outweighs the faff of doing so.

I only run them from a really naff mini hi-fi amp and they still sound pretty darn good to me.

Now that I have 2 kids I can't really justify the cost of an £800 amp but I'm looking forward to the day when i do so that I can listen to how these guys can really perform....and I know they can because i heard them coupled with some serious kit when I bought them.

My aim is to bi-wire with the Roksan Kandy.....that'll do nicely thank you.

Submitted by huyoo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
I brought the speaker for around $650 for a second hand
I would say this speakers sounded PERFECT and i would say it would really worth more then $2500.
I have read some of the review here and others site as well stating the drivers have problem or the mid is a bit thin and the bass is out of control but please look carefully this is a monitor series speakers. If u drive it with a under power amp all the above problem will come. The min power to drive this speakers should be at least 150w pure class A then it will surely sing like a bird n i would say this speakers are power hungry anything less then that this speaker won't sound good at all.
my equipment:
Ven Den Hul The Second
Audioquest Midnight 3 Hyperlizts

Submitted by PhilNZ a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought my 782's second hand in London, after getting some Mission 780 bookshelf speakers at a Hi Fi show in Bristol. I loved the sound of the 780's and wanted to expand the set to become my Home Cinema / Listening room setup.

The 782's have been awesome and despite their size, fill my room quite nicely for sound and movies. I dont have a Sub - but have never really needed one.

The positioning is tricky, and the bass can be a bit dissapointing if setup incorrectly. My primary bugbear is that the MidRange drivers stopped working for no good reason. So I replaced them both only to have my wonderful children knock one damn speaker over and smash the magnet off the driver. So now I'm onto my Third set. I think I need to make a wider base as thats the second hole in the wall created by the speaker falling over (they're heavy and make a big hole).

I've found that the 780's suffer the same problem, and the voice coils in the main driver have blown on these twice now too. Its getting annoying. You'd think the replacement drivers would have addressed the weaknesses in the design. I'm thinking of repairing these and trading them for something a little more robust.

Aesthetically the 782 speakers are very pleasing on the eye, and had you asked me before I'd had to have so many repairs, I would have said - they are the "ones". Now however I would think twice before buying them.

I'm going to give mine one more chance (if they didn't look and sound so good they'd be out the door yesterday).

Submitted by turist a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have owned these speakers from new for atleast 5 years. I have when the speakers where working liked the sound they produced. I have not over powered these speakers either by amp species 100wpc or have I listened to them too hard, the truth of the matter is. The midrange speakers DO have a FAULT, I also noticed another reviewer noted the same issue. I have replaced multiple sets at my own expense. Now, at the moment with them not working once again I have no choice but to consider replacing the speaker units for another brand. The anoying thing is that these speakers came highly recommended but if I had to evaluate my listening pleasure for my buck, these speakers are I feel greatly over priced. Also after being told by a supplier that the midrange speakers do have a fault I emailed the new Australian importer with my issues, after resending the message twice got a email back saying that they can supply replacement midrange speakers at the standard cost, YES very helpful. I am not one to write reviews on items that have not impressed me, actually this is my first. But in this case I felt an obligation to fellow users of these types of reviews to assess whether or not they should buy these speakers and my advice for you is simple " BUY THESE SPEAKERS AT YOUR OWN RISK"
I must add that I have had all these faulty speakers tested and the report identified the cause of the damage not to be due to running them at extreme levels. To be honest upon inspection of all the failed speakers I noticed what looked like "the best way to describe it" a very noticable coffee spill stain on the voice coil material, which the speakers still working didnt have. I believe this to have something to do with the speaker failure.

Strengths;
Compact
Looks
Bass
Clear & Precise Vocals

Midrange speaker constant failure - as noted above
Lack of after sales support- "Australia " may differ in other countries.