Mission 782 Floorstanding Speakers

4.18/5 (28 Reviews)

3-Way Reflex, Floor Standing Speaker - 6.6 inch (165mm) Driver - Silk Dome Tweeter

Submitted by David Tudor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2014

Bottom Line:
Whilst i have had to change the woofers and tweeters I think the items I've replaced them with are much better quality than the originals and look as if they last.

I mention this because even though I've had to replace them, the sound they produce outweighs the faff of doing so.

I only run them from a really naff mini hi-fi amp and they still sound pretty darn good to me.

Now that I have 2 kids I can't really justify the cost of an £800 amp but I'm looking forward to the day when i do so that I can listen to how these guys can really perform....and I know they can because i heard them coupled with some serious kit when I bought them.

My aim is to bi-wire with the Roksan Kandy.....that'll do nicely thank you.

Submitted by huyoo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
I brought the speaker for around $650 for a second hand
I would say this speakers sounded PERFECT and i would say it would really worth more then $2500.
I have read some of the review here and others site as well stating the drivers have problem or the mid is a bit thin and the bass is out of control but please look carefully this is a monitor series speakers. If u drive it with a under power amp all the above problem will come. The min power to drive this speakers should be at least 150w pure class A then it will surely sing like a bird n i would say this speakers are power hungry anything less then that this speaker won't sound good at all.
my equipment:
Ven Den Hul The Second
Audioquest Midnight 3 Hyperlizts

Submitted by PhilNZ a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought my 782's second hand in London, after getting some Mission 780 bookshelf speakers at a Hi Fi show in Bristol. I loved the sound of the 780's and wanted to expand the set to become my Home Cinema / Listening room setup.

The 782's have been awesome and despite their size, fill my room quite nicely for sound and movies. I dont have a Sub - but have never really needed one.

The positioning is tricky, and the bass can be a bit dissapointing if setup incorrectly. My primary bugbear is that the MidRange drivers stopped working for no good reason. So I replaced them both only to have my wonderful children knock one damn speaker over and smash the magnet off the driver. So now I'm onto my Third set. I think I need to make a wider base as thats the second hole in the wall created by the speaker falling over (they're heavy and make a big hole).

I've found that the 780's suffer the same problem, and the voice coils in the main driver have blown on these twice now too. Its getting annoying. You'd think the replacement drivers would have addressed the weaknesses in the design. I'm thinking of repairing these and trading them for something a little more robust.

Aesthetically the 782 speakers are very pleasing on the eye, and had you asked me before I'd had to have so many repairs, I would have said - they are the "ones". Now however I would think twice before buying them.

I'm going to give mine one more chance (if they didn't look and sound so good they'd be out the door yesterday).

Submitted by turist a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have owned these speakers from new for atleast 5 years. I have when the speakers where working liked the sound they produced. I have not over powered these speakers either by amp species 100wpc or have I listened to them too hard, the truth of the matter is. The midrange speakers DO have a FAULT, I also noticed another reviewer noted the same issue. I have replaced multiple sets at my own expense. Now, at the moment with them not working once again I have no choice but to consider replacing the speaker units for another brand. The anoying thing is that these speakers came highly recommended but if I had to evaluate my listening pleasure for my buck, these speakers are I feel greatly over priced. Also after being told by a supplier that the midrange speakers do have a fault I emailed the new Australian importer with my issues, after resending the message twice got a email back saying that they can supply replacement midrange speakers at the standard cost, YES very helpful. I am not one to write reviews on items that have not impressed me, actually this is my first. But in this case I felt an obligation to fellow users of these types of reviews to assess whether or not they should buy these speakers and my advice for you is simple " BUY THESE SPEAKERS AT YOUR OWN RISK"
I must add that I have had all these faulty speakers tested and the report identified the cause of the damage not to be due to running them at extreme levels. To be honest upon inspection of all the failed speakers I noticed what looked like "the best way to describe it" a very noticable coffee spill stain on the voice coil material, which the speakers still working didnt have. I believe this to have something to do with the speaker failure.

Strengths;
Compact
Looks
Bass
Clear & Precise Vocals

Midrange speaker constant failure - as noted above
Lack of after sales support- "Australia " may differ in other countries.

Submitted by biggsound50 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
i agree to an extent with northerner,, the 782's are a bit bassy!.especially as im driving them with a mf 1000a which as i've found out dont like low positioned bass speakers. nore need them. in fact it was more controlled with my tannoy e11's although they could not keep up. ive decided to move to a pair of quad 21l's. which having heard on a rotel amp which was very modern and light felt a little weak on bass. i'm hoping the mix will be a 'proper job'.by the way, the musical fidelity 1000a is amazing.no many amps can destroy missions, but these do.probably the best amp ever built bar none.the 782 spkrs are very good though, i tried them with a mates quad amp and they sounded much better.